1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers' Turner has won when it counts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Marty had an 8 point lead with 8 minutes left with the best running game in the league and the defense with most sacks and still found a way to lose.

Perhaps the worst coached 8 minutes in football history.

The question posed is irrelevant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That's right. And I still say he is one of the greatest coaches ever... IN THE REGULAR SEASON.

He's one of the worst coaches ever... WHEN IT COUNTS.

Harley told me a couple of years ago "NORV IS AN IDIOT SAVANT"

After last year's post season showing, I'm thinking this is the only accurate way to describe the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Save your breath. Most fans refuse to recognize a glaring problem if there were some fancy Ws near the end of the season (yet still no Lombardi).

Let's put it this way... a half hour after the Titanic struck an iceburg, it was still the nicest luxury liner in the world. The dining room was still in tact, the shuffleboard courts were still level, the silverware was still pollished. Only the lower utility rooms were flooded. WHO CARES! STILL A GREAT SHIP!!!!

An hour after that... well, the cheaper state rooms are gone and the ship is 1/3 lower in the water, but who cares when the bar is still fully stocked, and the italian marble dance floor is still glinting under the crystal chandaliers! LET'S HAVE SOME DRINKS AND DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY!!!

An hour after that the nose of the ship is sticking a few hundred feet in the air. LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE, HALF OF THE SHIP IS OUT OF THE WATER!

Norv, win us a Lombardi and I'll recant.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    And there are some fans who refuse to see what a miracle it was that the implode, and found a way to make the most of what little opportunity they had.

They want to cry about making the playoffs at 8-8... Ok, cry all day but don't ask me to post CHURCH M'Fer after it to make you happy.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Rock on! :tup:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same bad actors in the same bit parts. :lol:

:popcorn: :icon_party: :popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Maybe "most fans" was a little harsh but the Chargers did not play well last year. Not well enough to win a division 95%+++ percent of the time and certainly not enough to win a Super Bowl.

Still, yes, I was happy to watch my Bolts make the playoffs but did I think they would win the whole thing? No. Marginal teams have a lower probability of getting to the Super Bowl. Do I think they will win the whole thing if they play like they did last year (erratic and soft)? Of course not.

So why should I celebrate someone who, IMO, decreases the team's chances of winning a Lombardi?

On the flip side, do I think that the team has a chance to improve it's play and get to the Super Bowl next year? Yes. There are a lot of talented players and coaches on this team. But the hard-nosed swagger of the Chargers has been missing. I pin that on Norv. He'll have ample opportunity next year to prove me wrong.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You seem to have a major robotic fetish about crying. To you, any form of criticism is crying... especially if it has to do with your moderating!

REALITY CHECK!!!
    But how about this... some people have fell to their knees and kissed Norv's feet over an 8-8 season.
    Winning four games in a row was great but we're extremely lucky that they meant anything!
    Extremely lucky that our division sucks!
    Extremely lucky that the remainder of our schedule was against s**t teams.

Now I agree that what matters is how you do in the post season BUT if you don't make it to the post season... ALL of this means squat!

Let's review this "miracle" that you've embraced...
    Retards 4-12 (We looked like the team we are!!!)
    Quiefs 2-14 (major stroke of luck!!!)
    Bucs 9-7 (they hit a melting pot)
    Donks 8-8 (they hit a melting pot)
    ALL of those should be EXTREMELY EASY wins!!!
    We NEVER should have been 4-8 to begin with!!!

The playoff win over the Colts was quite a thrill.
    Had we got a respectable loss to the Steelers, I'd be thinking higher of Norv too. That game was the real justification.

The ONLY "miracle" that happened last season was Donks losing 4 games in a row!!!

The best thing we have going for us this season is that 8-8 will probably clinch our division again.
    If we see a 2005 Steelers type of story... that will rule!!!
    BUT post season is going to be even harder. Steelers will be back... so will Ravens, Patsies, Titans, etc. (I didn't mention Ponies because if the Jags get back to their winning ways, they'll wipe them out.)

I'm rooting for the Chargers but I'm not going to scream Norv's name over last season cause all in all, it was not a good season. We just had a few things happen to make it worth watching in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

VERY GOOD POST... EVERY WORD OF IT!!!! :bolt:

That's what I've been saying since day one and been strongly ridiculed for it but that's OK.
    I'm not into changing my opinion just so I can blend in with the heard of cattle.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Some people in here seem to think that somebody cares who lost the AFCC at the end of the season and that a title is handed out for the AFCC attendance.
    Well guess what? THEY'RE WRONG ON BOTH ACCOUNTS!!!

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree but the biggest problem I saw was that we had opportunities to slam the door on that game early but 3 turnovers isn't going to make that happen.

Regardless... he would haves, should haves, and could haves in that game are countless!!!
    We went against a team that's been there and won it many times. Experience is the key.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Marty is a mentor and teacher.

Cleveland was a mess, he got them winning.
    Kansas City was a mess, he got them winning.
    DC was a mess, he got them on track. (had he stayed, they would have become a playoff team)
    We were a mess, he got us winning.

Something that most people in here keep missing... I had no problem ditching Marty but not at ALL cost!
    Not in March for a proven loser!

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Personally, I believe Norv is gone if he doesn't get it done this year. Rightfully so I might say, the team is healthy so there should be no slow start.

Lombardi or Norv has to go, that's just the way I feel.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Bottom line. MARTY IS GONE. Ancient history. The boat has sailed. Pine for the past if it makes you feel better....

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I dont understand why you feel this way. He has taken the Chargers farther in the post season than any Chargers coach since Ross.

That is the bottom line for me.

IMO Norv has done the best job as a HC he has anywhere else, that said, should he and the Bolts have another slow start, I will start plucking chickens while you run over to La Brea with a couple of barrels...

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hey... before you start flexing your forum muscles and talking like you own the area, why don't you read the entire discussion.

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with bringing up that past. It was a response to Nick's post.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Hey... Go float a boat. Let the mods decide what posts belong or dont...

So before you start flexing anything... Dont...

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And every bit of last season was a major gift from the Donks and he beat 4 horrible teams!!!

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Bottom line. They made it. Maybe you want an apology for that but I dont.

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

HUH?!!! :icon_huh: :icon_huh: :icon_huh:

What the Hell does any of what I just said have to do with what you just said? :icon_shrug:

Answer: Absolutely Nothing!!! :yes:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Going by your theory... you should actually be bowing do to Shanahan instead of Norv!!! :yes: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Yeah, I imagine that is something you truly believe... Well, thought has never been your strong point...:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Though IS my strong point. That's why I'm not just blindly running along with the heard of cattle!!! :tup:
    That's also why I'm not bothered by you and other's getting upset just because I have my own opinion.

It's not a matter of what I believe... it's a matter of pure fact. Donks only had to win 1 out of the last four games and then our 8-8 season wouldn't have meant squat.

Then again, I'm sure you believe that Norv helped those teams beat the Donks before facing us!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Going by your logic, Shanahan is our hero for success last season!!! :yes: :hilarious:

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Woulda shoulda coulda. I love how you like to throw out the what if BS and act like it is some stroke of genius...

Go back to playing Madden NFL. There your what if scenarios can be reality. Here it is just a bunch of tripe. :yes:

Also, no one hates you because you have your own opinion. We all do. If anyone hates you, it is because of the manner in which you conduct yourself.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hey. I gladly accept Shanahan's gift too. Not sure why you don't.
    Guess I could teach you the difference between luck and skill.

Another thing... you also should know the definition of hate. I don't believe anybody here wishes bad things on me. I don't feel that way towards anybody here either.

26. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Deal.

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So basically everyone agrees that Norv has won (mostly) when it counts. :icon_shrug::lol:

28. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I just read several pages of this thread and now I have a headache.

I'd rather have Norv than Marty right now. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    A 14-2 team is still a "developing team"? really?

Can you tell me the Chargers still would have lost had Rivers, Merriman, and Gates not all been playing on one knee and LT not been out all together?

30. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Until he won another playoff game the following year.

Nevermind, I forgot that doesn't count because once you beat a team you're expected to beat them every time until eternity in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.