1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers @ Vikings pre-season game 3 thread...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Or rather, you think the percentage chance of Kaeding getting the ball through the uprights is higher than Rivers getting 1 yard?

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that league-wide percentages say kick the FG.

Question has been answered repeatedly. Would you like to skin the dead horse as well? :)

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I've never had this discussion, which is why I posted it in response to Lance. I don't see how you can use league-wide percentages, it's not like we can line up all 32 kickers to make the attempt and if half of them make it we get the 3. It's all about Kaeding. If the question was whether a team should attempt a field goal or try to convert in that situation in general, I'd agree with you, but then, that wasn't the question.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    It's a kicker y'all going on about?? Tweety only knock on my part is his short kickoffs, other than that he's nothing more than a damn kicker. He makes more FG's than he misses and if the offense did their job he wouldn't have to be called on to try and win/tie an important game. Some of the best in NFL history have hit clankers at the most inopportune of time.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My only response has been yep when asked about kicking a FG. I'm not going on about anything.

Kaeding has shown a propensity to choke in "clutch" situations. Putting the ball in Rivers' or a RB's hands has its own set of risks. I go with the FG attempt. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Is that the percentage of brain cells you've lost since moving to Texas? :p

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    If I recall correctly, Nate Kaeding has drilled each & every kick he's ever attempted in an AFCCG, so yeah, I'd unhesitatingly send him out to attempt any kick of 60 yards or less, and in a dome I may even let him try a 60+ yarder.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He sure did Lance, although none of them were with the outcome of the game in the balance of his one kick. Kind of a different situation. We might've wanted to avoid trotting Kaeding out for those kicks anyway, considering that a good synopsis for that game would be suicide-by-field goal...

10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    I disagree.

Nate Kaeding was the only Chargers player to even score a point that day, yet the game remained close well into the 4th Quarter. Had he been given the opportunity to attempt 6 or 7 field goals on that day, he very may well have converted them all. It's not his fault that none of his teammates could assist him on the scoreboard that day, because had just 1 of them done so, we may have won that game and 1 of Nate's kicks may have provided the margin of victory, as placekickers often do.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Kicking field goals isn't an easy task when 11 angry men don't want you too stacked with all the other elements of failure involved. It's a game of chance, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and there is no Mr Automatic with guaranteed success. A chance at a win or a tie with a FG is a grant of hope which otherwise would not be there.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Believe it or not my brain cell loss is actually lower than Kaedings playoff FG percentage. At least by 10%. :p

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Are you sure you didn't mean your brain cell retention? :abq1:

14. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    the variable is the AFCCG. During the season I'd put keading in for an 118yd fg