1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

    Create an Account or

    Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vow to regroup

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 19, 2010.

  1. Johnny Lightning

    Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2006
    Messages:
    23,310
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

    With Smith-Turner leadership locked in place, organization now looks ahead after ‘sudden end to the dream’

    UNION-TRIBUNE
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010


    As the Chargers and their faithful take tepid steps away from the carnage of one of the worst losses in franchise history, there are some things to know and some things to wonder about.
    First, the head coach isn’t going anywhere. Norv Turner signed a three-year contract extension yesterday.
    Second, the general manager isn’t going anywhere. A.J. Smith’s five-year extension hasn’t even officially begun.
    Third, Nate Kaeding isn’t going anywhere. The kicker’s six-year body of work and a $12.65 million contract that runs through 2012 will keep him a Charger for 2010, at least.
    As for a number of other players …
    This could be as eventful an offseason as there has been in the Smith era.
    LaDainian Tomlinson has almost certainly run his last play as a Charger, though he said he isn’t finished playing.
    “It’s not the time,” he said yesterday. “I will play next year. I obviously want to still play football. I think I can be productive, I’m not saying I’d get 1,800 yards, I believe I can absolutely be a 1,200-yard rusher.”
    Tomlinson is signed through 2011. Under terms of his renegotiated deal, he is due $2 million in a roster bonus in March, which means the Chargers will make public their plans for him by then. Tomlinson, due $5 million in total, is guaranteed $1 million even if the Chargers release him.
    “What’s going to happen,” he said, “no one knows.”
    Several other key Chargers have reached the end of their contracts, though they may yet remain under the team’s control due to the in-flux state of the collective bargaining agreement.
    Malcom Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Marcus McNeill, Shawne Merriman, Darren Sproles and seven other players are due to be unrestricted free agents but could be restricted if, as expected, a new CBA is not agreed to and 2010 has no salary cap.
    Assuming there is no cap, it will be interesting to see what tenders the Chargers place on the aforementioned five players.
    A restricted free agent can negotiate with other teams, but his current team is entitled to compensation based on which tender it places on him (first-round, first- and third-round, second-round or third-round).
    “We will now take a step back and assess our team,” Smith said yesterday. “We have lots to think about and lots to do, as always. As an organization we will regroup and start building next year’s team. We will do everything we can to build a championship team.”
    Smith likely won’t be heard from again until around March 4, the day the current league year expires and a new one is set to begin (at 9:01 p.m. PT). Yesterday, he took a moment to reflect before looking forward.
    “The sudden end to the dream is always difficult and very disappointing,” Smith said. “The closer you think you are, the more it hurts. There will be no head hanging around here. Our motivation and desire to be the best burns more with every disappointment this organization experiences.”
    Players reiterated their heartfelt belief this was the best Chargers team they had been on.
    “I felt like that from the bottom of my heart,” Tomlinson said. “I really felt that this was the year.”
    Linebacker Stephen Cooper was among the most devastated and forthright Sunday night and again yesterday.
    “When you had the opportunity we had, the team we have, we’ve got to take advantage of that,” Cooper said. “… It’s going to hurt for a while. The opportunity was there for us to go win a Super Bowl. We have the guys intact. We have the coaching staff intact. We’re just disappointed to be sitting at home watching somebody else play for the Super Bowl when we thought it was going to be ours.”
    Turner expressed to the media in a news conference and then to his team in their year-ending meeting that achieving the ultimate goal is a process and that he believes they are working toward a Super Bowl.
    On that, he and his players agree.
    “We’ve still got one-seven (Philip Rivers) at quarterback,” Cooper said. “We’ve still got a lot of guys coming back. We know a lot of contracts are up and a lot of guys are going to be restricted, but I think a lot of the same faces will be back here next year. We’re gonna keep pushing for the Super Bowl.”
     
  2. Showmeyourbolt

    Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2007
    Messages:
    2,108
    Ratings:
    +192
    Why is LT guaranteed to be gone if there's no cap? He still brings a lot of money to the organization, and he could just as easily do what Bennett does every week if they want to bring in a rookie or something. If him staying on the team doesn't hurt their salary cap position, then I don't understand why cutting him is such a sure thing. The Spanos' aren't short on money.
     
  3. TheBeast

    TheBeast BoltTalker

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Messages:
    1,637
    Ratings:
    +127
    What ever. If they want to vow and that all other stuff than do it, I'm not going to believe anything they say or any kind of hype. When they go and prove it by winning the superbowl, than I start taking what they say seriously again.
     

Share This Page