1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vs Donkeys pre game chat

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +348
    We will lose, ho hum.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Drew Kaser likely out as Chargers' holder
    Michael Gehlken

Drew Kaser won’t be out of a job this week.

He just won’t be asked to handle an important aspect of it.

The rookie punter is one of two Chargers players who lost handle of the football Sunday at a critical time. The other, running back Melvin Gordon, isn’t expected to see his usage change moving forward. Coach Mike McCoy was unable to say the same Monday about Kaser, who likely will be pulled from his role as holder on field goals and extra points.

McCoy said that the team will evaluate its replacement options in practice this week. No. 2 quarterback Kellen Clemens figures to be among them.

This decision comes after Kaser mishandled a snap on a potential game-tying field goal late in the fourth quarter of a 34-31 Sunday loss to the Raiders. Kaser hasn’t been nails as a punter, either; his lone attempt Sunday went 16 yards and out of bounds, swaying field position and helping lead to an early fourth-quarter touchdown.

But despite the error — and a critical 17-yard punt in Week 1 versus the Chiefs — he will remain the Chargers’ punter.

At least, for now.

At some point, Kaser must find the form displayed in practice, exhibition games and during his Texas A&M career. The sixth-round pick led the NFL in punt distance this preseason, averaging 52.3 yards. His net average of 43.8 yards ranked fourth in the league. Those numbers are down to a league-low 39.1 and a fourth-worst 35.8 this regular season.

Kaser’s issues may be psychological.

He has shown the tools but not the ability to tap into them when they’re needed most.

“He's still our punter, and we may explore a few options on what we want to do as a holder,” McCoy said. “We'll talk about that as we go. We'll do some things (Tuesday) at practice. We're going to discuss that. … I think Drew is a very talented player. He's got a really bright future in this league. He really does.

“He had the first mishap in Kansas City, and then unfortunately, he had another one (Sunday), and I’m talking the punter part of it, not the hold part of it. And then you come back out here (in practice) after the Kansas City week and you see him kick that ball during practice. I mean, unbelievable. … When you get out there and the game is on the line, you have to perform. It’s an unfortunate situation.”

The Chargers will host the Broncos on Thursday.

Unlike Kaser, Gordon’s role is not expected to be different than his last outing.

Gordon fumbled late in the third quarter, his second fumble on 12 touches after none in the first three-plus games. The first came in Week 4 and led to a fourth-quarter touchdown, sparking the Saints’ comeback from a 13-point deficit with less than seven minutes remaining.

Like his first fumble, Sunday’s turnover led to a touchdown drive.

The Raiders opened it at the Chargers’ 38-yard line.

“He’s our back. He’s going to get going,” McCoy said. “He’s not going to put the ball on the ground. That’s got to be the mindset. ... Mel, I talked to him right after the game; we were sitting down in front of the bus and we talked about that. He understands what he's got to do. He can't put the ball on the ground. The last two weeks, it's happened too many times. It's costly mistakes to our team. ...

“There’s a time and place when you fight for extra yards. But when you’re in a pile and certain things, you have to wrap it up because now you’re marked. ….The players, they watch the film. So now they know, when we hand the ball off to 28, they’re all going for it. (Ball security) is always important, but now, you've got a bullseye on you.”

michael.gehlken@sduniontribune.com

Twitter: @SDUTgehlken

4. Samuel

Samuel Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not sure if we will win or lose, but I'm starting chargers defense and josh Lambo in fantasy. Paganos defense only works against inexperienced qbs, and this being mccoys last game he will want to go out right. I think I'm also going to start Demerius Thomas, because I see 5 wide receiver screens for 160 yds and 2 tds happening.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Samuel

Samuel Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm... So maybe it will be Eric Weddl.... Oh. That's right.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    That's all we need, a punter with psychological issues...

Doctor: Tell me about your childhood, Drew.

Kaser: It all started with the football laces tattooed on mommy's breast when I was feeding...

laces-out.jpg

7. Samuel

Samuel Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just have him inactive Thursday and have Philip chuck it deep on 4th down. That's should really mess with them donkeys, plus our d won't give up long td passes.

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ Or, (gasp..) have Clemens hold the ball and fake the fg and throw it downfield to an open receiver. (Hopefully one of ours.)

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Wish the team I was a fan of had enough money to buy one of those fancy electronic anti-fumble balls like Jerry's kids have...

10. Samuel

Samuel Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting stat I just found. Bolts allowed 6/7 fourth down conversions.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I may be in the minority, but I love these unis...

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 2h2 hours ago
    Michael Gehlken Retweeted Tom Krasovic

Neither to play Thursday vs. Broncos. Fourth missed game for Addae (collarbone surgery). Third for Flowers (concussion).

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago
    Broncos injury report: Trevor Siemian, Kayvon Webster are questionable. DeMarcus Ware out. No other player listed. #9sports

Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 2h2 hours ago
    Chargers P Drew Kaser pushing through back injury, eager to rebound Thursday night. "I'm not going to make excuses."

San Diego Chargers ‏@Chargers 23m23 minutes ago
    Today's Participation Report
    DNP: Addae, Flowers
    LP: Barksdale, Franklin, Hairston, Mager, McCluster, Perryman
    FP: Kaser

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  16. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Probably be 75% orange at the Q tomorrow night......which is fine, because all of those clowns will be paying for our new stadium soon enough....hahaha!!!

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers rule out Brandon Flowers, Jahleel Addae

The Chargers will remain without two members of their secondary for Thursday night’s game against the Broncos.

Cornerback Brandon Flowers and safety Jahleel Addae have both been ruled out for the contest. It will be the third straight week that Flowers has missed due to a concussion. Addae has not played since Week Two because of a collarbone injury. The Chargers are also without cornerback Jason Verrett, who is on injured reserve after tearing his ACL.

There are a couple of question marks on San Diego’s starting offensive line. Right tackle Joe Barksdale (foot) and left guard Orlando Franklin (ankle) are both listed as questionable, although each of them was able to take part in practice on a limited basis the last two days. Barksdale’s backup Chris Hairston (groin) is also listed as questionable.

Cornerback Craig Mager (shoulder), wide receiver Dexter McCluster (hamstring) and linebacker Denzel Perryman (shoulder) are also listed as questionable.

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I'd rather he keep the holder job and lose the punting job if I had to choose between the two.

As embarrassing as it was, especially given the timing, anyone can make a bone-headed screw up and bobble a snap. QBs do it all of the time. But punting is his main job and something he's screwed up more often than the snaps on FGs and XPs.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    Yeah, they should have paid him more to hold snaps.

What were they thinking?

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You can't fire him from both jobs, because that means Dean would be playing him real money to do nothing. ;)

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Once again, expecting a tight game with another meltdown in the 4th quarter.