1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vs. Eagles thread...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    After the Bolts incredible 4th quarter comeback against the Giants with just a little over 2 plus minutes to go, the Bolts play another NFC east 5-3 team in the Eagles. I believe with my gut, and my faith in the Bolts (Philip Rivers) we can win this game. :yes:

Currently the Bolts are a 2.5 FAVORITE for the game. So I'm hoping for a 4th straight 5 sack performance by the Defense, and how about a couple of INT's as well (wake up Cromartie).:tup:

I see LT having a bigger game this week with the Eagles looking for the pass on all 3 downs.

Your thoughts.....

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    CHS is not a shy "thread-maker" is he?

:lol:

:tup:

:bolt:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I predict that, even if we win, there will be pissing & moaning about things that require changes that we really can't make for this season. So instead of being glad that we're gaining some momentum & hitting just a bit of a stride, we'll instead see calls for "MORE BEEF!!" & "I hope we lose out so that we get a new HC & a high draft pick." Both of which may be just fine (well, not the lose out part).

For NEXT year.

Just wondering - if your Lambourghini runs out of gas on the next to the last lap of the main event, do I still win when my Mazda passes you & crosses the finish line first? :icon_shrug:

Answer: Yes, it does. Fact & pure fact. :icon_toast:

4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    They have a huuuge O-line, but they don't run the ball. That's good for us. DeSean Jackson is good, and Maclin and Curtis gives them their best WR corp in years, but that is also our strength. Our big, fast corners versus their puny speedy wrs.

Their TE Celek is a monster this year. And we don't have LBs that can cover either McCoy or Westbrook out the backfield. We can't really rush the passer like we'd want to with their short slants and passes, much like how the Patriots use to beat us.

On offense, they blitz like Hell. But with Rivers, Gates, and VJax I have faith we can score.

Tough, tough game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    OK here comes the grenade!.

I want to see more of Bennett than LT. Give him a chance, I'm expecting he will have more gas in the tank. :tup:

6. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Bennett won't really make a difference with the O-Line. If he was that good, he would be starting at some point.

Also I don't believe that Westbrook will play for the Eagles this week, but it hasn't been 100% confirmed of his concussion recovery.

7. corvairman

corvairman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm coming from Philly to see the game.You don't have to worry about the Eagles,as long as McNabb and Reid are together,we'll never do anything.Reid keeps trying to reinvent the wheel with his 55 passes a game,and Mc Nabb is too inconsistent to do this.Plus,you're right,we never run.See you

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

but if they throw alot of the short route stuff, we might be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  9. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I expect a good game.

If Philly comes out a blitzes alot, which is their specialty, I expect to see alot of screens.

If they hold back on the blitzing, which they probably will...we need to attack them down the field.

Our Defense has improved at getting to the qb, but as we saw last week, let him escape too often. Can't do that against McNabb, he'll eat us up with his scrambling ability.

I really expect a tight, hard fought, close game. Could go either way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yes our run blocking is very poor but.....

I don't think that 'if Bennett was that good, he would be starting' is actually fact. I truly believe they (Norv et al) are hoping (cos that's all it is) LT might somehow return to something like the LT we all know and love. I hate to say it but I say it won't happen.

Imho the time for sentimentality is over, give Bennett a chance.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pretty fair chance that Westbrook could be out. Ankle is acting up.

12. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +43
    west who? :icon_shrug:

13. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Bennett has had his chance in this league, and has produced only ONE good season.

14. Airw0lf

Airw0lf BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah, McNabb was pretty average in the Cowboys game. Got picked off in some crucial situations.

In general the Eagles were terribly undisciplined - I can think of several bone-headed penalties:

1. The 100 yd KR that was called back for holding.
    2. The flag on the prepared celebration by Celek.
    3. McNabb getting intercepted then it was Maclin I think who low blocked a Dallas player.

So hopefully they bring the same lack of discipline and we'll be good.

And don't forget that these guys lost to Oakland!

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Eagles recently beat up the Giants but then again, that's not hard to do these days. I don't think Eagles are that good as their division used to be one of the best, now it's becoming one of the worst.

I think we'll win this one BUT in order to make that happen, we cannot start slow with need to dig ourselves out of the hole.

16. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    One good year 7 years ago when he was 24.

http://www.nfl.com/players/michaelbennett/profile?id=BEN384766

17. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    OUCH!!! Okay, first off, the holding penalty on the kick return touchdown was a BS call. Our guy was basically run over by the cowgirl running down the field. Being a rookie, he just forgot to let go of the guy trampling him. Reminded me of the BS call against your guy Cromartie, in the AFC play-off game against Indy a couple of years ago on his Int return. This rookie LB is also the same guy who made the low block, it wasn't Maclin.

I want to thank you guys so much for knocking off the Gmen. Would have been an even better weekend for the Birds if they hadn't been screwed by the refs but also screwed themselves Sunday night!:tdown:

That Oakland game sucked. How many in a row have you beaten those punks? I still get mad thinking about how unmotivated and unprepared we were. That's in the past though and so is Dallas.

I expect a good game against your Bolts. Don't expect the same team that you saw last Sunday though. The Eagles rarely repeat stupidity two weeks in a row and this game is as important for us as it is for you guys.

:flag: FLY EAGLES FLY :flag:

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    First of all, I think it's a great idea to sticky the next opponent every week. cool. :tup:

2nd. Welcome Philly fans. :icon_toast:

3rd. My keys to the game - Get to McNabb, contain their blitz, get our defense off the field unlike last week, the gnats had the ball way to long last week.

:bolt:

19. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    He is out. I listened to an espn report... mcCoy should get the start.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The Eagles and Giants are both damned talented football teams, but they're also both bi-polar. Either one could beat the Patriots one week then lose to the Raiders the next... kind of scary.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Ellis Hobbs is out for the year, and another guy has been suspended for a banned substance. This is the right time to "pluck the feathers" of the Eagles.:yes:

22. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    League suspends Eagles CB Hanson four games for using diuretic

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- The NFL gave Eagles cornerback Joselio Hanson a four-game suspension Wednesday for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Hanson's attorney, David Cornwell, said in a statement that his client didn't use steroids but tested positive for a diuretic after last year's NFC Championship Game against the Arizona Cardinals.

"Joselio did not use steroids or any other substance that would enhance his performance," Cornwell said.
    While not specifying what product Hanson used, Cornwell said the player "felt 'bloated' after eating Chinese food and ingested a pill that turned out to be a diuretic.

Cornwell said the NFL's policy on diuretics is misguided because it assumes they are used to mask the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Cornwell added that he had hoped the league would delay making a decision on Hanson until there was a resolution in another case involving four players who have suspensions pending for taking a banned diuretic.

Hanson has recorded 29 tackles and one interception this season as a backup to starters Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown.
    Hanson's suspension came the same day that the Eagles placed cornerback and kick returner Ellis Hobbs on season-ending injured reserve with a neck injury. Hobbs will require surgery, but Eagles coach Andy Reid expects the injury not to be career-threatening. Hobbs recorded 14 tackles and averaged 24.1 yards on 20 kickoff returns this season.

To replace Hanson and Hobbs, the Eagles promoted second-year cornerback Jack Ikegwuonu from the practice squad and signed free agent Ramzee Robinson, who was among the Detroit Lions' final cuts in September. The Eagles also added cornerback Stoney Woodson to their practice squad.

In other injury news, running back Brian Westbrook didn't practice Wednesday, but Reid said he'd be ready to go Thursday. The Eagles practiced indoors and Reid doesn't like to have Westbrook run on the hard surface.

23. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    whoa ****. i like that!

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    It's a long trip back to Philly. You guys won't make stupid mistakes, we'll just play even better. You will play good, we will play better. Nuff said, go Bolts! :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  25. WaltCD

WaltCD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I've been listening to you guys for just a couple months, aside from a few episodes last season. I really like what I hear. You guys are informative, passionate, and entertaining.

Okay, the Chargers beat the Giants. I think by now you guys are accepting the fact that they are a decent team.

They're not perfect, by any means. I went to NFL.com and looked up stats. The Chargers are sitting well in every area except running and against the run, where we're ranked dead last and 26th, respectively.

Going by predictions from the beginning of the season, most everyone thought losses to the Ravens, Steelers, and Giants, but we beat the Giants, and lost to Denver. We are EXACTLY where we thought we should be!

So, if we take care of the Eagles, a game many do not expect us to win, we'll be even better. I think we all think Denver will take Washington. I hope that they do beat Washington. I do not want to go to Denver with them having a big losing streak. It would be like they're backed into a corner and come out fighting hard!

Finally, I think we should really run some more no-huddle drives, especially early in the game. Why not? It works at the end of games!

Thanks for all you do.. You guys are great!
    Walt D in LV

• Like Like x 1
  26. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Welcome, Walt D - Great to read your first post

27. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Welcome to the boards bub, me and you will be one of the few in here on Sunday. PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! Get blacked out Oakland, PLEASE!!!

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

From one Walt to another :icon_toast::icon_toast:

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
  30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Chargers' late-season roll already started as team hosts Eagles

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009111511/2009/REG10/eagles@chargers#tab:preview/preview-channels:cat-pre-preview-full-story

Following yet another slow start, the San Diego Chargers have gotten on a roll.

It's hard to figure which direction the Philadelphia Eagles are headed.

Philadelphia failed to build off an uplifting win over the reigning NFC East champions and now looks to send San Diego to the same fate Sunday when these division title hopefuls meet at Qualcomm Stadium.

The Chargers (5-3) are going after a fourth consecutive AFC West crown and fifth in six years despite consistently struggling out of the gate. They've had a winning record through six games only once in that span (2006).

They opened 2-3 this year but have since won three in a row and the latest victory may have been their most impressive, rallying past the New York Giants 21-20 last Sunday. Philip Rivers led an eight-play, 80-yard drive that ended with his 18-yard touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson with 21 seconds to play.

"I think it will carry over into this week, something we can build on as we prepare for another really tough NFC East opponent," said Rivers, who had three TD passes for the third time in five weeks.

It was the fourth time in 13 games, including a playoff win over Indianapolis, that Rivers engineered a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter.

"He's calm and confident and that just rubs off on everyone else," said Jackson, who had five TD catches in the last four games and is tied for the league lead with seven.

While the Chargers have pulled within one game of Denver for the division lead behind the passing game, their ground attack continues to stumble.

San Diego is averaging a league-low 3.1 yards per carry and is the only team that has not rushed for 600 yards. LaDainian Tomlinson had 22 yards on 12 carries last Sunday and it appears more and more that his carries are merely to set up the play-action passing game.

"We've still got a ton of room for improvement," Rivers said.

So do the Eagles (5-3).

They opened 3-1 before a stunning loss to lowly Oakland. They appeared to be back on the right track with a 40-17 rout of the Giants on Nov. 1, but a 20-16 home loss to archrival Dallas last Sunday night dropped them out of the NFC East lead.

"We have to eliminate mistakes," said Donovan McNabb, who had two interceptions after throwing only one all season. "We have to have short-term memory and just move on and be able to erase what happened."

McNabb might benefit from the return of Brian Westbrook, who missed the last two games due to post-concussion symptoms. San Diego is 26th in the league against the run, allowing 130.1 yards per game.

The Eagles went 1-8-1 in their last 10 games decided by seven points or less, including a 32-25 defeat at Arizona in the NFC championship game. Their five victories this year have been by an average of 20.0 points.

"That's a pretty good stat," coach Andy Reid said of the record in close games. "I don't know if there is a link other than that stat. I don't see a tightness, or pressing in the fourth quarter. I haven't seen that. On the other side, maybe we're trying too hard, because I see a maximum effort out there."

The Chargers have won five of their last six games decided by eight points or less.
    NFL RedZone

Watching football on Sundays will be a whole new experience with NFL Network's new channel, NFL RedZone. Find out why.

Their defense, particularly against the pass, has keyed the recent surge. San Diego totaled five sacks in three consecutive weeks -- linebacker Shaun Phillips had five in that span -- while allowing a total of 351 passing yards.

"We've got to put down our foot right now," said Shawne Merriman, who had two sacks in each of the last two games. "If we put down our foot right now, we're going to be in pretty good shape."

Merriman and Phillips have been impressive at a position where Philadelphia is very thin.

Stewart Bradley and Omar Gaither are out for the season, fellow starter Chris Gocong could miss a second straight game with a hamstring injury and Akeem Jordan may sit out after hyperextending his knee Sunday night.

The Eagles have lost all four visits to San Diego since winning their initial trip in 1974. The Chargers lost 20-17 at Philadelphia in 2005 in the last meeting.

:bolt::bolt::bolt: