1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vs. Houston @ home in Glendale?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Oct 22, 2007.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80384a98&template=without-video&confirm=true

Posted: 3 minutes ago
    LT, other Chargers among wildfire evacuees; practice canceled
    Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson was among several San Diego Chargers players, coaches and staff members who had to evacuate their homes as wildfires burned in San Diego County.

The Chargers, who had just returned from their bye weekend, canceled practice Monday. Players were dismissed so they could take care of families, spokesman Bill Johnston said.

The Chargers are weighing the idea of practicing this week at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., home of the Arizona Cardinals, and playing Sunday's game against the Houston Texans there, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The Cardinals are on a bye, which would help facilitate the change.

Four years ago, when San Diego County was under siege by deadly wildfires, the Chargers moved a Monday night game against the Miami Dolphins to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., because 24 hours before kickoff ash was still falling over Qualcomm Stadium, which was being used as an evacuation site.

As of late Monday morning, wildfires fanned by fierce desert winds forced the evacuations of nearly 250,000 people in San Diego County.

Johnston said it was too early to know if the fires will affect Sunday's scheduled home game against the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium, where the parking lot was being used as an evacuation center.

Tomlinson's business manager, Lamar Andrews, said he checked on the player at 5 a.m. and he and his wife had already left their home in suburban Poway. Andrews said two other players he represents, safety Marlon McCree and linebacker Matt Wilhelm, also evacuated their homes.

Johnston said others in the organization were evacuated.

2. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    There are a lot of possibilities as to when and where this game is played. I would not be surprised if the game is played Monday night.

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    That would really F me up. I can't see them doing that. If the Cards played at home Sunday, maybe but otherwise Sunday it is. Ooopps, Mort is talking about it now,

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Naw, Sunday at Glendale would be good choice.

The Cards have a bye week and don't play on Sunday and I'd rather it be at a semi-neutral place instead of moved to Houston where it would give the Texans a "free" home game and a huge advantage.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

If this game is played in Zona, I am making the roadie and spending the night some place local. The problem is finding someone with a BBQ there or who can haul one to 'Zona.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    With over 12 people in the Charger's organization evacuated, from what I read, this game shouldn't even be played. LT was one of them, I doubt he's worried about this game at the moment, I'm sure his family and home mean a hell of a lot more to him right now.:bolt:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, but not playing the game would have all sorts of problems of its own.

Unfortunately, because the players' minds won't be on football, while the Texans are, this means Houston has a much better shot of pulling the upset win. :unsure:

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ESPN just said the Cardinals stadium is booked for Sunday.

ESPN link on Chargers moving practice.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    They might just wait for a week from today

10. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I don't think they would care. Priorities.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

Gotta disagree, yeah it's tough for LT and other within the organization to go thru this but no tougher than the other evacuees that DO have to go to work, "playing" in the NFL is their job

BTW, I'm a huge fan of LT, but with these fires LT is not the one I feel bad about, he has the money to rebuild 10 mansions, other are not so lucky and even if they do have insurance it'll take a while for it to kick in

12. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    boltsnow -

I'm just exploring all options.

Caught Mort and based on what he said, signs are saying Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe as U of P Stadium in Glendale is booked.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    They can reschedule the game at a later date, especially if more players are displaced from there home's. Which I'm sure there will be with the enormous size of this fire.

I'm not saying that's what I want to happen, just that it seems like the right thing to do if necessary.

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I figured they'd go there when I heard cardinal stadium was booked.

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think it would be hard to put it in a non-NFL facility. Lots of extra work to do. Besides all the markings on the field, there are media requirements, security requirements and other factors that are different in an NFL event vs a college game.

I'd bet they move it to Houston before holding it in a college venue.

Also .... wonder if the Cards stadium is booked for Monday night? That would be a good option.
    The home itself is a minor issue, IMO. It's the stuff in your house that makes your life. Pictures, papers, keepsakes, etc. It affects everyone the same, rich or poor.

We lost everything in '98. I could have cared less about the house, but the things inside are what I miss.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I did not say I want this happen, only that if enough people on this team are displaced. As far as LT goes, sure he can go buy a new house tomorrow, he is one of the leaders on this team.

This is bad for all of San Diego County, right now I don't think football is on most of their minds right now.

17. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Based on what is going on, they probably have no other choice.

18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I'll have to yield to your experience as I have never gone thru something like that, although the thing you speak of I could probably load in the car in 15 minutes tops (papers all in one place, photo albums/videos all in one place)

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Our "event" was a flood. 45 minute warning, if that. A lifetime of "stuff" is collected, and you really don't realize what was important until it's gone. Pictures, videos of all the "moments" of one's life .... keepsakes, like my wife's daughters childhood things. Stuff is scatterered in boxes, or in closets. It sounds easier than it is to collect up everything and put it in the car. Especially when you need to get clothes, food, water, pets ..... it's hectic.

I really feel for the people affected. Even though I don't live in SD anymore, it is my hometown.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    All of LT's memories are in that home. They don't give all day to evacuate, they say now and they mean now. It's not only that, the whole area is devastated.:bolt:

21. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I understand you guys, it most be a horrible experience to go thru, my point is not that LT should not be preocupied with his situation, it is that thousands of others are in worse situation and I would think they have to go to work, LT and the Chargers have a job to do, the NFL is a huge business and I don't think they'll say "don't worry about it, you'll play whenever you can"

22. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This is a must win, and I hope the players are focused enough to recognize this. Where ever they play.

23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Big time bummer. Especially since this was the only game I was making this year. But not nearly as big of a bummer as for those poor people affected by the fires. If the game moves to AZ so be it. I just hope for the best for all those people affected.:no:

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I understand what you are saying, fact is the Mayor of SD asked people not to go to work unless they absolutely have to. They didn't stop games when Kennedy was assassinated, but people weren't being driven from thier homes due to a disaster.

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Chargers press release said FORTY players and staff were affected. The press mentions LT because he's the most prominent name.

Everyone deals with things differently. It's hard to say whether someone should or shouldn't play, or do whatever it is they normally do when things like this happen.

It's a tough situation for all involved .... rich and poor, famous and "normal" people.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    let's see what happens wednesday, if there's no improvement then it'll probably be in glendale

anyone up to driving out there?

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Exactly, last I read it was only twelve. That's 40 people plus family, not to mention the folks back home wanting to know what's going on.

Play the game if they deem so necessary but I sure wouldn't want to have to play under those condition. One practice has already been called. By the time they set up in AZ and practice, just how many guy's do you think will have their heads in the game?.

28. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    This is the event,
    http://www.universityofphoenixstadi...126&dt=10/1/2007&v=m&EvDateID=381&content=610
    Come and see CycleWorld’s display of international motorcycles at our very own University of Phoenix. Attendees will have the chance to see BOSS motorcycle stunt show, test drive a variety of the latest street bikes, experience a motocross bike showcase, and have the opportunity to see the World’s largest and smallest motorcycle. Prizes and a variety of sponsored gifts, including a brand new Suzuki bike, will also be given away throughout the weekend.

BFD...this event can be moved.

29. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

We have regular Monday deliveries to Chandler, AZ (on the East side of PHNX metro). If the game is Monday night at the Cards stadium, then I'm going to try and get that load. We'll see ..... I need the announcement by Wednesday to try and make plans.

30. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's true Hex. I think LT has more important things on his mind. Why don't we just ask the Texans to forfeit the game to us? Hell, we're going to destroy them anyway!!!! :lol: