1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vs. Lions - Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Slam, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    I've been scouring the internets for predictions...mostly everywhere has it look like a coin toss with the Chargers getting the edge due to the Lion's rather weak record on the road.

I have a habit of always tracking down the opposing sides forum and seeing what they have to say.

Looks like DET fans are pretty optimistic. Saying we don't have an answer for Megatron, and their defense will eat up Rivers.

I'm hoping for Rivers managing the game well, with even distributing, defense and special teams showing up big time for us. And... wait for it.... establishing a run game early on.

First three plays.... run? What do you think?

Chargers take it 24-17

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Detroit has a sneaky talented roster.

• They replaced Suh with Ngata, and Fairley with Walker, both are downgrades IMO but not huge ones.
    • Calvin Johnson is the only type of receiver we're really going to struggle against due to his size.
    • Their secondary is unheralded, but very solid all around with Slay, Mathis, Quin, and Ihedigbo.
    • Ziggy Ansah vs Barksdale will be a huge matchup to watch.

What we got going for us...
    • Their offensive line is very poor at pass blocking, worse than even ours was last year.
    • Stafford is wild and unpredictable, particularly when under pressure, specifically against 4 man rush.
    • DeAndre Levy, their best LB by far, is dealing with an injury right now that may keep him out.
    • Their run game is mediocre.
    This is a tough call. But due to the fact that we are at home (not in their dome), we are 99% healthy, and we have the better QB, I'd say we have the slight edge. Chargers win 20-17, Lambo kicks the game winner.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    31-13 Chargers. The Bolts are better than people think. They have 3 pro-bowl caliber players in the secondary, and the young pass rushers will tee off against a suspect Detroit o-line. Rivers is healthy and will be back to the MVP-caliber player he was the first half of last season. The Chargers win the turnover battle and the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Chargers win - our QB is way better than their QB. I think we:
    - MUST pressure and rattle Stafford - he makes mistakes under pressure, helps take C. Johnson out of the equation
    - must use short drop, quick passes to defeat DL - Woodhead and S. Johnson are critical
    - generating any sort of a running game - which has not been observed so far this year
    - ST coverage units must show up for game

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    The Chargers offense will probably struggle early on, MG3 probably has a bad game. 2nd half will be a blow out for the Chargers imo as the heat increase. RIVERS is MVP bound this year.

45-24(only 3 pts allowed in 2nd half by Chargers)

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I think we see a blowout. 34-12 Chargers. Our D-line and OLBs will look all-pro against their half-baked o-line. Rivers will pick apart their secondary for three TD passes. Lambo misses a chip shot and everyone will be screaming "WTF why did we get rid of Novak" but the rook makes a 51 yarder before the half and all is well in Chargerville.

7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I have this game as a win for us, but I think it will be close, something like 19-17.

I am concerned that Reich will call too many running plays. DET was #1 in the NFL in both YPC against and total rushing yards against last year and Ngata is every bit as good against the run as Suh, maybe even a little better.

I think we can and should win this game by using the short passing game as a partial substitute for a sustained ground game. Once we have them back on their heels, we can start mixing in more runs. In this way, we can use the pass to set up the run. IMO, Rivers, Woodhead and Allen are the keys to success in this game from an offensive standpoint.

On defense, we need to get pressure on Stafford, get a few sacks and force some early throws. If he has time to order a pizza in the pocket, we are in trouble. Also, when we blitz, we need to be mindful of screen passes and check downs to Abdullah. I expect our secondary to be solid, so it is up to the front seven to do their job well. I do not see DET being able to run the ball as effectively as some of the better running teams, so this game is more about pass defense, which is good news for us.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And so it begins.

@ProFootballTalk: Chargers TE Green being evaluated for possible concussion http://t.co/6F98h4otxt

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I think the kid has potential, but I am starting to wonder if he will ever achieve it.

10. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    wtf did that happen?!?

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I am with you Conc. This kid is another under achiever with a susceptible dome!

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So this year, the run will be on the TE position...... at least, we got an early "heads up". ;)

13. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Cmon Green! Time to be about that action boss! I'm not a Green fan, I suspect we'll be heavy in the tight end market next year

14. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Chargers will win 24-13. I think Chargers come out passing to MG often because its obvious that Detroit will be waiting for the run if he is in. Stevie Johnson will get the Chargers first TD of the season. I think our D will have a great game and will turn a lot of heads. Lets kick some *** boys!

15. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    Ewww we have to really on David Johnson to win one one one battles. Shotgun formation is gonna be in heavy use on Sunday.

Any chance John Philips is signed?

16. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
  17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
  18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    No, we don't have to rely on David Johnson getting open in the passing game. If Green plays, he is probably no better than the 5th receiving option we have (Woodhead, Allen, Floyd, S. Johnson). If he doesn't play, it's next man up as Miller becomes Green.

• Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm pretty low on Green right now too, but the guy is a good speed matchup in the middle of the field. Ihedigbo should have no issue covering Miller though.

With Deandre Levy likely to miss this game, we could have some real success with the TEs and Woodhead out of the backfield.

20. littlekaps

littlekaps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys - Detroiter here. Not a troll, just a fan of the Lions and I go to other boards to hear what is going on with the team we are playing that week.

I have read most of the posts and I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Here is the buzz in Detroit-

1) DeAndre Levy is probably out. He has a hip issue that won't need surgery and the question was whether or not he would go on short term IR. With him out, we have Josh Bynes, a Ravens castoff that came with Teryl Austin, as his replacement. Not a bad player, but Levy is one of the most underrated players in the league.
    2) SO much has been talked about Suh being gone and rightfully so, he is a hell of a player. However, in Detroit, the biggest question most of us want to know is this - was it Suh or is it Austin? You see, when we had Schwartz and Cunningham calling the shots we never blitzed, never stunted and just rushed 4 and got picked apart. Austin has brought an imaginative approach to getting to the quarterback and stopping the run. Thus, the first 3-4 games will determine if it was Suh or is it Austin.
    3) I have read on here about our offensive line and, in Detroit, we are THRILLED with our offensive line changes. Dominic Raiola and Rob Sims were awful last year and got Stafford killed. Now we have Swanson, a player we picked in 2014 who filled in one game and did a great job at center and Laken Tomlinson, our 1st round pick this year. Manny Ramirez came over from Denver and will be the other guard for us while Warford, a heckuva right guard nurses an ankle injury. The question on our line will be right tackle. If Cornelius Lucas starts there tomorrow, you guys should be able to get pressure into Stafford's front side. The back side is manned by Riley Rieff and he is doing a good job.
    4) I am really interested to see how our WRs/TEs match up against your secondary. Calvin is really healthy and Tate was an awesome pick up for us last year. The jury is still out on Eric Ebron - WAY OUT. He may be a bust unless he really turns a corner this year.
    5) We are really excited about Ameer Abdullah as well as he can be lightning in a bottle - the role that we wanted Jahvid Best to be before concussions ruined his career. You will see him split out in this game a bit more rather than a running back. Jocquie Bell is coming back from a slight injury and will start and run the ball but he isn't a burner and is known for 4 yards a carry and that is about it.

I think you guys win like a 20-16 game or 21-17 type of game with Stafford throwing a pick while trying to win the game in the 4th quarter.

Good luck in each game other than this one and here's to hoping no serious injuries to either side!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Fun fact of the day.

Matthew Stafford is 3-32 all time against teams that finish the season with a winning record, including playoffs. (0-17 on the road)

22. littlekaps

littlekaps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    This is the #1 quote always said by every Stafford hater in the world. However, when you look at some of the teams he was on, it makes it understandable. Also, the Chargers are 0-0 during this game.

:)

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I guess that means if we win this game, we're guaranteed to have a winning record this season huh?:D

24. littlekaps

littlekaps BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey, only way we play you again is Super Bowl.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm down with this.:abq2:

26. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +375
    I think Ameer goes off on our Defense. Speedy shifty players are our kryptonite on defense.

Match up of the game?

An historic Lions Dline vs newly assembled Chargers Oline. Winner will most likely decide the game.

• Informative Informative x 1
  27. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Just avoid turnovers and special teams screw ups and we should win this game.

28. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    To be fair though their d line is very different than last year

29. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    If we can stop the run today my optimism for the season will go up +2

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Historic? Actually they lost their 3 best DTs from last year. And given playing style and age, I'd rather face Ngata than Suh any day. :tup:

They also don't have Deandre Levy, which officially means they're without 3 of their 4 best defensive players from 2014.

• Like Like x 1