1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Vs. Raiders, its Raidaaah week

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The 2-2 Sand Diego Chargers storm into Oakland to face the 1-3 Raiders, as they attempt to come away with their first road win of the season. Chargers vs. Raiders, you can throw the stats out of the window (not that I will) because these teams do not like one another and get up to play each other each and every time they meet. Of late it has been the Chargers who have dominated the matchup, winning the last 13 games in a row.

The Chargers-Raiders rivalry has seen some donnybrooks and long win streaks coupled with high scoring matches that resulted in large margins of victory. The average margin of victory by both teams during the series is more than 12 points per game. That alone should speak to the emotions these rivals from the old days of the AFL bring to the table.

But let’s not just give way to history repeating itself here. Both teams have some issues they have to deal with. For San Diego, it is playing, and finding a way to win in front of a hostile crowd. They also have to find a way to hold onto the ball. The Chargers have lost six fumbles through four games, which almost match their total for all of last season.

The Raiders have some problems of their own to work out. The only team in the NFL that is worse than the Raiders at stopping the run is the Buffalo Bills. Now the AFC West has undergone a change of late, it used to be that the AFCW was a run first, throw when you can division. Now the teams are airing the ball out with regularity. However, as the season progresses the running game will become more prevalent.

Both teams run the ball reasonably well. The Raiders have the 6th ranked rushing attack currently, and the Chargers have improved to be raked as the 10th top rushing attack. So both teams can run the ball. Both teams have different look backs they can employ. San Diego has a bruiser, Mike Tolbert for San Diego who pounded out 100 yard rushing against the Arizona Cardinals last week. The Raiders came away from their last game beat up at the running back position at Darren McFadden went down after suffering a reoccurrence of a hamstring injury. Their backup, a familiar face in San Diego, Michael Bennett also is nursing a sore hamstring. This brings up Michael Bush who in the past has found some open space and given the Chargers fits at times. However, Bush is coming off of thumb surgery just a few weeks ago, and I am sure the San Diego defense will test his ability to hold onto the ball given this fact.

However when it comes to stopping the run, the Raiders have not shown they have the moxie to prevent the yards on the ground. The Raiders are allowing an eye popping 162 yards on the ground per game. Conversely, when you consider that the Chargers are giving up less than half of the yards on the ground that the Raiders are, allowing only 80.2 you can see that there is a mismatch there.

When going to the pass, this is a closer game than many would tend to believe. The Chargers are arguably one of the teams that have to be feared offensively. They excel at creating situations that force the opposing coverage to choose who to double and who to go man on man with. This is shown in the fact that they are the top rated offense in the league currently and the 3rd rated passing team. The Raiders are no slouches on offense either, their offense is ranked 9th currently, higher than they have seen it ranked in some time. They however are not very good in the passing attack. They rank 20th overall in the league in passing offense. Where the competition heats up is when you put the strength of the Raiders defense, their pass coverage up against the Chargers passing attack.

The Raiders tank 3rd overall in defending the pass. They have a young and athletic secondary that can play sideline to sideline. So you have the 3rd ranked San Diego passing attack going up against the 3rd ranked Oakland pass defense. This should be an exciting matchup to watch.

On the flip side the Chargers do not present an open field to passers either. They are currently ranked 4th in passing defense, and when you consider the Raiders passing attack is ranked 20th in the league, again you see a mismatch. The Raiders are ranked 9th overall in offense mainly because of the effectiveness of their aforementioned running game.

There are a few items of interest when looking at the game offensively. To this point neither of the offensive lines has really wowed anyone. There is a plethora (do you know what a plethora is? *shameless Three Amigos plug*) of reasons for this. If you look at the numbers, the Chargers offensive line ranks 17th overall in the league, giving up 8 sacks so far on the season. Now some might not panic because the Chargers get the Big Mac Attack, Marcus McNeil back next week and that should prove to be a bolstering force on their line. However, the Raiders are 29th in the league and have given up 13 sacks through 4 games.

I am sure that Chargers Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera will be planning plays to take advantage of this. So far his defense has excelled at using multiple look formations to create confusion and opportunities to get to the passer. The Chargers are ranked 4th in the league at putting grass stains on the opposing QBs. They have compiled a very respectable 15 sacks through 4 games. The Raiders have compiled 7 sacks and rank 18th over all…

The Chargers sit right now as the top ranked offense and defense. This is something they have not seen for 23 years. Note that though both units are enjoying success so far this season, they still sit at 2-2. The Chargers have had woes on special team, and have had to plug some starters in on the coverage units. This seemed to have helped as the Special Teams showed some consistency last week against Arizona. However they now have to show they can maintain that. Should the Chargers Special Teams faultier in Oakland the Chargers 13 game winning streak could end right there, this is not a place where the Chargers can give up opportunities and provide momentum and confidence to their hated rivals.

Chargers Linebacker Kevin Burrnett laughed when asked about the Chargers being the top ranked team in both offense and defense “Ask me in another 12 weeks (laughter). Ask me in another 12 weeks. Let’s see if we are still having the same conversation.”

One last stat comparison; The Chargers are ranked 3rd in scoring offense currently. They have compiled 14 touchdowns, 4 on the ground, 9 through the air. They will have to continue to put the crooked numbers on the board to get their first road win. The Raiders are tied for 20th in scoring offense. They have 7 touchdowns, 2 though the air and 5 on the ground. San Diego will look to halt the ground game of the Raiders and dare Bruce Gradkowski to beat them through the air.

If they can force the Raiders to the air, chances are good that the Charges will move closer to tying the Raiders for the longest win streak over the other, 18 games. The Raiders still lead the series 55-44-2, so the Chargers still have some catching up to do.

Who to watch:
    Raiders Left Guard vs. San Diego’s D-line; I know this sounds wishy washy, but the Raiders are beat up almost as much as the Chargers and their Left Guard position has taken a particularly nasty hit. Robert Gallery has been suffering from a hamstring injury and missed their last game against the Rams. His backup Daniel Loper has been dinged up as well. There are two other dinged up linemen across the Raiders offensive line. Their task of protecting Gradkowski does not get any easier as they face an active Chargers Defense.

Nnamdi Asomugha vs. Antonio Gates; Typically I would never really consider that a team would put their best pass defender on a Tight End. However, arguably the biggest pass threat the Raiders face is Antonio Gates. He is a Ninja. He can get open like few other tight ends in the league, his soft hands, size and speed make him a definite threat to the Raiders. If Asomugha mans up on Gates, look for Floyd and Naanee to get more passes thrown their way.

Chargers Special Teams vs. Raiders Special Teams; Alright, I admit it. I am shell shocked and irritated that the Chargers special teams cost the team two games. They improved last week against the Cardinals but I am still not to a point that I can be cautiously optimistic about them. They need to prove to me that their heads are in the game.

Ball Control vs. Ball stripping; As mentioned before, the Chargers have lost six fumbles in four games. This almost matches their 2009 total. They have to control the ball. Fumbles and turnovers are a way to give momentum and confidence to the other team. If the Chargers do that, and allow the home crowd to be a factor, it could be a long afternoon.

Current Odds:
    Chargers by 7

Head to Head:
    Total Offense: Chargers
    Passing Offense: Chargers
    Rushing Offense: Raiders
    Total Defense: Chargers
    Passing Defense: Raiders (almost a push)
    Rushing Defense: Chargers
    Punting: Raiders
    Returns: Raiders
    Kicking: Raiders

Final Score:
    Chargers big! 34 Raiders 20

2. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Even though it would help my Chiefs for the Chargers to lose, I can't help it. Go BOLTS! Can't root for the Raiders lol

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think everyone in the NFL, besides raiders fans want the Bolts to win. And we will without a doubt

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    ight someone bring out the practice squad the raiders are a joke

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So were the Chiefs and Seahawks if I recall correctly.

6. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Good news is....I doubt it will rain lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yea and the off and def played great special teams failed us, and last week special teams looked much improved.raiders have no chance at this game

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Who !!!

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    [​IMG]

that is Dart Board material

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol:

11. thebaldraider

thebaldraider BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Chargers fans have a short memory. All they can remember is 13 consecutive wins against the Raiders.
    I know a lot of Chargers fans are young and don't remember any history beyond the 13 game streak, but I've been a Raiders season ticket holder since 1980…and I remember all this stuff.

Chargers fans don't remember what they were thinking, and saying, during some of the last 13 Raiders/Chargers games.
    Like the season opener one year ago.
    Here are some of the comments that Chargers fans were making on the BoltTalk forum during that game:

D-line is getting manhandled.

They are chopping up our defense.

Now that they are over confident…it is time to strike!

ugly ugly ugly first quarter

I should have bought more beer....

It's the freakin' Raiders. they're not going to keep this up. I'm not too worried.

I agree..just a bit shell shocked

We are being out muscled, pure and simple.

This is a truly weird game. Feels like the twilight zone.

stupid play calling. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Where's LT?

I'm speechless.

Holy freaking cow!
    WHAT?
    That NEVER happens for the Chargers!! Stunning!

The score is much closer than the game...we got our butts kicked in the first half

74 yards of offense compared to 216 for the Raiders.
    OMG! What the F is going on?!

I still want to know what in hell happened to LT.

BTW, Raiders have made some serious improvements. Nice job on their part.

Our OLine is getting PWNED!

We are just getting pushed around all over the field

OMG! Interception.

F... INT

We have no running game...they are all over our receivers!

One screw up after another.

This is just pathetic and Norv looks like a deer in the headlights

O-lines dropping like flies...

This is going from bad to worse.
    Our O-Line is getting weaker.

We don't look like we give a ****

Norv is giving up. No excuse for a call like that unless you don't trust your QB.

Thank goodness Russell can't hit the broad side of a barn...

this is ****ing pathetic, how are we supposed to be competitive against good teams?

We're falling to pieces.

Fire EVERYONE!

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON!!!

This is embarrassing.

We HAVE to start capitalizing. Their D has to be getting tired.

LT is looking so slow and his burst is gone. Your days are up LT, make way for the younguns.

wow we suck

Come on!!! They are celebrating like they are going to win .. Someone wake up on the Chargers!!

The Raiduhs are just roughing us up.

OMG!! Did I just see what I just saw?
    A CHARGER in the end zone???

Time to pick off Jamarcus and seal the game.

If the Raiduhs stick with the muscle, they could eat the clock and score.

Bush for 10. Argh!
    Come on D!

Come on D, victimize Gradkowski!

I'm hoping Gradkowski can't throw the ball.

This guy can't be any worst than Jamarcus.

HUGE SACK!!!!
    Finally our 1st damn sack.

WHAT A ****ING PIECE OF **** BLOWN COVERAGE. ****ING SON OF A ***** **** LICKING ****ING *** ****ING **** ****ERS!!!!

Ok, we need a TD.
    2 minute drill Philip....

Philip has lots of time.

This is ****ing bullshit. How do you allow a touchdown on fourth and ****ing 15?

The Turds D is tired from beating us up

We were out played and beat up but still won the game

it was ugly but it's a win

Phew ..

Worst Victory Ever

Some other things that Chargers fans tend to forget:

1) Raiders beat Chargers 6 games in a row (1998-2002)

2) Raiders beat Chargers 7 games in a row (1982-1985)

3) Raiders beat Chargers 10 games in a row (1972-1977)

4) Chargers went 18 straight games without beating the Raiders (1968-1977) a tie in '70 and a tie in '72

5) The Raiders, even with hardly any wins in the last 7 seasons, STILL have the 3rd best all-time record in the NFL. Only two teams have a better all-time won/loss record (and neither one of them plays in San Diego). Every team has down periods, but the Raiders have been historically better, when you look at their ENTIRE history, than every team except two.

6) Chargers had the worst record in the NFL in 2000 (1 win, 15 losses). They had absolutely no defense.

7) The Raiders have had 16 seasons below .500, The Chargers have had 22 seasons below .500

8) Raiders current losing streak (below .500) - 7 consecutive seasons

9) Raiders longest losing streak prior to that - 3 consecutive seasons (1960-1962)

10) Chargers longest losing streak - 8 consecutive seasons (1970-1977) 37 wins, 70 losses

[​IMG]

12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    dude despite your history, your team is still gonna lose

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Lets see, your argument is that we have short memories... Oh kay. I guess being a Raider fan you have to have very long memories to remember when your team was last worth a damn right?

Tell me, who won that opening game last season you spoke of?

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Raider fans are historians. They live for the past. Charger fans love the now and are excited for the future. Nuff said.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Typical weak Raiduh post. You guys have lost 13 in a row. Deal with it like a man and stop trying to make it better by saying weak stuff like, "But the game was close. We almost beat you." This is how far your team has fallen. You now take solace in the fact that Bolt fans are disappointed when we don't beat your sorry team by 30 points.

Your team is a disgrace. It always has been. Only in the last ten years has the record begun to reflect the lack of class the Turd organization, its fans and its owner exemplify.

I've been going to Charger/Turd games since 1980 when I was 4 years old. I witnessed some classic games. But for the last several years, the games have been kind of pathetic. Watching the Chargers destroy the Raiders has become like watching the varsity football team beat the crap out of the kids that ride the short bus to school. I almost feel sorry for the Turds, until I see the cheesy pirate logo, the wannabe badass goofballs in their spiked shoulder pads and tear streaked kabuki makeup, and all the wonderful memories come flooding back--brawling with half a dozen drunken gangbanger Turd fans as they tried to throw my friend over the view section rail at the Murph, watching the Chargers beat the Raiders at the LA coliseum while drunken Turd fans were throwing razor sharpened coins at us (cutting a pregnant woman's neck and sending her to the hospital), coming out of Qualcomm after another Chargers beatdown of the Turds to find some a-hole Turd fan had dumped the still hot coals from my bbq onto the hood of my car, having my BBQ stolen like 10 times during Raider games and not touched once at all the other games I've been to over the years. I could go on. But why bother.

Phuck the Turds.

16. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    It seems to me that a 10 game winning streak in the 70's has absolutely nothing to do with this week's game. So why bring it up?

Drunken Raider fans' bail = $2500 per
    Al Davis' jacket = $1.50 at K-Mart
    Making it 14 games in a row = priceless!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Rushing Offense: Raiders

I'm giving this to the Bolts. With McFadden and Bennett hurt, Bush recovering from thumb surgery...Tolbert rushing for 100 yards last week, RM one game more healthy...advantage Chargers.

Additionally, the Raider's offensive line is banged up...the Chargers' D Line is en fuego (9 sacks last week).

Great article though!

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Thank you, I was able to wipe my ash with this garbage after eating a Carne Asada Burrito! You are talking crap now, but after the game you will be no where to be found!

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the guy was just mumbling along ,using his only brain cell and did not say anything. If anyone can interpret what he said please do, I do not speak Faider.

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Probably the greatest Raider fan blast EVER!

• Like Like x 1
  21. thebaldraider

thebaldraider BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Why bring it up? If you read my post, it should be obvious why I brought that up. It's because you guys dwell on this 13 wins in a row thing, as if losing streaks don't happen to every team. I brought up the historical evidence....using the Raiders and Chargers records....to show that over the long haul, both teams have had ups and downs. The Chargers have just had more down years than the Raiders have. That's all. The last 7 years the Chargers have been up. The 7 years prior to that, they were pretty much at the bottom of the league. The next 7 years after now, the Chargers could be back at the bottom. You never know.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, so if every team were equal....each team would win one Superbowl every 32 years. What I'd like to know is.....the Chargers have been around for 50 years. How come they haven't won one yet. They are quite a bit past the 32 year "law of averages" point. Have they been historically twice as bad as the average team? Hopefully they won't go another 50 years before they get that first trophy. I guess the problem is that some teams have won more than their "one every 32 years" share...which didn't leave any for the Chargers.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    We bring it up because you continue to bring the 3 Lombardis up. Its all you have! That crap is very old now, and its something that we have heard now 3 freaking trillion times! Each and every one of you has the same exact line. Nothing changes. If you want Ill shove those things up your arse! Nobody freaking cares anymore GOT IT! Nobody freaking cares!!!!!!!!!!!

I wished I had pictures of it, my oldest son used a Raider Nation t-shirt he bought to clean up some Horseshyte left behind from a San Diego Cop's horse in front of my Jeep at a Chargers Raider game. One of your faithful was quite upset! He learned to live it real fast! The guy had his veins popping out of his neck! I told him he could have the shirt and rescue it if he picked it up with his teeth. He didn’t want it that bad, and we continued to spit on it and drive it into that pile!

Thats what I think of you and your Raider nation!

Oh and you might want to spread this around. When I go to the Chargers Raider game in San Diego, I plan on getting kicked out. I have no problem telling you to shut up and if it gets physical , BRING IT.! I am a season ticket holder and I have 2 tickets. I am going back in there as I will use my second ticket, are you? Nope you are heading home!

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    [​IMG]

this one is for my Raider fan friend

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    [​IMG]

you do remember this dont you?

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

dude, we say this shiit every week!!!

:helm1::helm1::helm1:

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    when he fell off his high horse about 7 years ago, he suffered some drain bamage and now he is kinda slow.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    REALLY?! This is why your here? To bring some historical perspective on the Chargers? To tell us there are good and bad teams every year? To tell us the Chargers were bad back when?

No **** Sherlock! Thanks for the 411. It amazes me that you think you need to come in here and say that... Right now the Chargers are up and the Raiders are down, and every Chargers fans is loving every mibnute of it. Just like every Raiders fan loved every minute of it when roles were reversed.

Take you hisotry class lectures elsewhere. We dont need it. We have fans here who have followed the team since it was playing in Balboa Stadium. You want to talk match ups, or possible reasons the streak may not continue that is cool, but seriously, we dont need you trying to bring us back to reality. Reality is right here and now, the Chargers are better than the Raiders. Can you handle reality?

Also thanks for the historical perspective, we know a long time ago in an NFL far far away the Raiders won some trophies. Good for them. They are collecting dust now, and you have no prospect at getting a 4th any time soon. So that is history for you. Like Rome was once a military power that ruled the known world, the Raiders were once a team that could win it all. Both ancient history. Is that perspective enough for you?

28. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    You stay classy, San Diego

Dude, I'm not meaning to be insulting here, but...you sound like a Raider fan. I mean trash talk is one thing, ribbing another, but show some class, man, even if they rarely do.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How is that? To say that is a very long stretch indeed. Does it sound like he likes the Raiders? No. So how do you connect those dots?

30. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I mean he is behaving like a typical Raiders fan, just rooting for different colors.