1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers vs. Raiders Preview

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +5,058
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,058
    http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/nflpreview?gameId=320910013

The Oakland Raiders made two key changes at the top in an attempt to end a 10-season playoff drought.
    The San Diego Chargers hope that sticking with their beleaguered management will pay off this year.
    After finishing with identical records in 2011, these AFC West rivals will begin this season Monday night where last year's ended -- in Oakland.

Mark Davis took over as Raiders owner in October following the passing of his father, Al Davis, who was also the franchise's longtime general manager. Davis' son hired Reggie McKenzie, formerly with Green Bay, as his GM shortly after last season, then McKenzie fired coach Hue Jackson and replaced him with former Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen.

"We respect what Mr. Davis was able to do here, the brand he created with this organization," said Allen, who at 39 is the league's youngest head coach. "We're going to do it our way. That's the only way we know how to do it. Reggie and I have a plan, and we hope to have success doing it that way."

One of Oakland's first steps in that plan is to bounce back from a miserable end to 2011. The Raiders were 7-4 and leading the AFC West before dropping four of their final five games to finish 8-8 for the second straight year.
    They could have won the division at home in the season finale but lost 38-26 to the Chargers.

Oakland hasn't posted a winning record or made the playoffs since reaching the Super Bowl after the 2002 season. Having quarterback Carson Palmer for a full season could help, as could a healthier Darren McFadden.
    Palmer, who refused to play for Cincinnati after the 2010 season, was acquired Oct. 23 and threw for 2,753 yards and 13 touchdowns in 10 games.

After rushing for more than 1,100 yards the previous season, McFadden was limited to seven games in 2011 because of a foot injury. He hasn't played in all 16 games in any of his four NFL campaigns.
    The Raiders also are seeking to shore up a defense that became the sixth since the 1970 merger to give up at least 4,000 passing yards and 2,000 rushing yards in one season.

The Chargers, meanwhile, will have a new defensive coordinator, John Pagano, as they try to bounce back from an 8-8 finish. The team also used its first three draft picks on defensive players, including outside linebacker Melvin Ingram in the first round.

San Diego hopes those additions help it reach the playoffs for the first time in three seasons. Despite those lackluster campaigns and a disappointing playoff performance in 2009, the Chargers chose to keep coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith.

Wins in four of the final five games might have helped Turner and Smith hold on to their jobs. San Diego finished a win shy of overtaking Denver for the division title after a six-game losing streak in the middle of the season wounded their hopes for a fifth crown in six years.

To have a better campaign, the Chargers could use an improved performance from Philip Rivers. The four-time Pro Bowl quarterback topped 4,000 yards for the fourth straight season in 2011 but also had a career-high 20 interceptions.

One of Rivers' top targets, Vincent Jackson, left for Tampa Bay, so San Diego will try to replace him with Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem. Rivers' other favorite target, tight end Antonio Gates, is back for his 10th season with the Chargers.

"Personally, I want to throw completions, just throw completions," Rivers said. "With the guys we've added, the guys we already have here, get them the ball. If they have the ball in their hands, then good things are going to happen."

San Diego is hoping to get the ball in the hands of Ryan Mathews, but the third-year running back is still recovering from a broken collarbone and his status is uncertain.

"I'm very hopeful. I really am," said Mathews, who had a career-high 1,091 yards last season. "I'm taking it day by day and hope everything goes as planned and I'm there Monday night."

While Mathews could return, left tackle Jared Gaither appears a little more doubtful. Gaither hasn't practiced since July 28 and wants to be fully healed before coming back.

"If you ask Philip and the rest of my teammates, they want me at my best," Gaither said. "That's what I'm here to give everyone. Nothing but my best."

San Diego has won seven of its last eight in Oakland.

Rivers threw for three TDs in the last meeting as the Chargers overcame Palmer's 417 yards, second-most of his career behind a 440-yard effort against San Diego in 2006 while with Cincinnati.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +5,058
    Rivers ready to face a "physical" defense
    The Sports Xchange
    Sep. 6, 2012 11:47 PM ET​

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20083529/rivers-ready-to-face-a-physical-defense

--QB Philip Rivers said his film study shows the Raiders revealing some different looks. But what isn't expected to change is their attacking style. "They've always been a physical group," Rivers said. "Their front seven is also a very big group. It's always been a great game, and it's been three or four times that we've gone up there on Monday night to start the season. We've also talked a lot about winning division games. Scheme-wise, there's quite a bit of difference between this year's Raiders. Schemes and plays are a big part of how you attack, but you're playing people. And players win games. We have to make the scheme work."

--TE Antonio Gates said after Wednesday's practice what has been evident: his foot is no longer bothering him. Gates is looking forward to the opener, even with it being in Oakland. "That is a tough place to play," the veteran said. "And it's been a tough place to play for 10 years."

--RB Ryan Mathews did more individual drills but he has yet to do team work as he returns from a broken clavicle. Coach Norv Turner said Mathews' backups -- Ronnie Brown, Le'Ron McClain, Jackie Battle and Curtis Brinkley -- will be able to gain the ground yards in Mathews' absence."We prepared to have a situation where we didn't have all of our guys," Turner stressed. "I like our backs."

--ILB Takeo Spikes is not only entering his 15th season but will start his 200th game on Monday. Spikes,35, continues to put in the work to erase a blemish on his admirable career: his teams have never advanced to the playoffs.

--LT Jared Gaither skipped another practice Wednesday with back spams. "I think he is making progress," Turner said. "And when he can go play I think he will return."

--The team signed T Kevin Haslam to its practice squad after he was recently released by the Raiders. Haslam played five games last year with the Jaguars.

--ILB Donald Butler has his rookie year behind him and when he looks around he like what he sees. "Between the new guys we added Jarret Johnson and Atari Bigby, those guys help me out tremendously," Butler said. "And I'm a year older and that means a lot." Why didn't the Charger make the playoffs in 2001? Butler has a simple reason. "We weren't good enough," he said.

--The team facing a local TV blackout is asking for a whiteout. The Chargers are going to wear white-on-white uniforms and are urging fans to wear all white for their home opener on Sept. 16. Tickets remain available.

BY THE NUMBERS
    1 -- Touchdown needed by Chargers on Monday night to join the Browns as the only NFL teams to score a touchdown in 150 consecutive games.

QUOTE TO NOTE
    "The group that will be out there on Monday night is the group that we have been practicing with for a month. We will be a confident bunch." -- QB Philip Rivers on taking the field for the opener with undrafted rookie Mike Harris at left tackle.

Copyright (C) 2012 The Sports Xchange. All Rights Reserved.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,527
  5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,206
    If the Chargers can score more points, they will win...... simple. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,527
    Don't start the Captain Obvious stuff already..... it's a long season. ;)

7. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    If the O-Line holds up we win!

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think if we can get an early lead that we'll likely be able to win without much difficulty. A lead takes away their only advantages (pass rush, rushing game) and hides our biggest weaknesses (dubious NT situation, OTs.)

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +405
    I'm expecting a loss, better now than a revenge loss at the end of the seasons. We'll be sure to split even with them in the series this year.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS NOTES: Brown to take heavy workload with Mathews out
    [​IMG]

Denis Poroy

Chargers running back Ronnie Brown will get the bulk of the carries Monday night at Oakland with Ryan Mathews ruled out. DENIS POROY | Associated Press

SAN DIEGO ---- While there was never any doubt, the Chargers have officially ruled running back Ryan Mathews out of Monday night's game at Oakland.
    The team has four other runners on the roster, but top reserve Ronnie Brown is expected to get most of the carries. Le'Ron McClain will take some short-yardage rushes and play fullback when the formation demands one.
    "Ronnie will be very involved in the offense, but Le'Ron ran some in the preseason, and he's very a very capable runner," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "We have good options with Mathews out."
    Brown will be the primary back, something he hasn't done since 2010, when he was with the Miami Dolphins. He has generally been part of a rushing committee, dating to his days at Auburn. He has had 20 carries in a game just once Oct. 12, 2009, but his touch total could be that high Monday night.
    McClain hasn't had more than five carries since Dec. 27, 2009 and hasn't reached double-digit carries since 2008, when he rushed for 902 yards with Baltimore.
    Brown and McClain will be the primary options, with Jackie Battle and Curtis Brinkley in reserve.
    There's no telling how long this rotation will stand. Mathews is targeting the Week 2 game versus Tennessee, but it remains uncertain if he'll be back by then. He has not been cleared for contact, and there is no timetable to do so. The original rehab prediction was closer to six weeks, and the Titans game will come after roughly five.
    Mathews desperately wants to get back out there and is pushing himself as hard as he can.
    "I want to play," Mathews said earlier this week. "I think I'm ahead of schedule, and I can't wait until I get cleared and can help this team win."
    Garay questionable
    Chargers nose tackle Antonio Garay was again limited in Saturday's practice and was listed as questionable on the official injury report. Rarely has a Charger received such a designation and played in a game on Turner's watch.
    That leaves Aubrayo Frankin and Cam Thomas to man the middle. Franklin will start, but the pair will rotate heavily.
    "I like what they've done from the nose tackle spot," Turner said. "It gives us a good mix, with a young guy who is powerful and an experienced veteran. They can play next to each other in the nickel pass rush. They're good football players. They're going to help us."
    They've helped significantly, as Garay has missed all but a handful of practices since Aug. 11 with an ankle injury. He participated in some team drills, but remains limited in practice. The team is easing him back into full-time duty, which is expected to resume next week.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Jacoby Ford ruled out for Monday night

Posted by Josh Alper on September 8, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images
    The Raiders are down one receiver for Monday night against the Chargers and the status of another one is up in the air.
    Jacoby Ford was ruled out on Saturday as a result of the foot injury that has kept him off the field since the team’s preseason opener. He wasn’t expected to play after missing so much time, although he’s stepped up his activity in practice enough of late to expect that he’ll be back before too much longer.
    Rod Streater, an undrafted rookie find this summer, will help fill in for Ford.
    The status of Denarius Moore is less clear. Moore returned to practice late this week after missing about a month as a result of his hamstring injury and he’s listed as questionable for Monday night. The practice reports out of Oakland were good on Friday and the team is practicing again Saturday evening. If Moore makes it though okay, we’d guess he’ll see some action.
    Rookie wide receiver Juron Criner is also questionable and defensive lineman Richard Seymour is listed as questionable as well. Seymour’s knee issue will be something he has to manage all season, although there’s not been any sign it will keep him out this week.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,917
    If the Raiduds come out and try to turn this game into a street brawl, the bolt's better stand up and meet the challenge. I'm sorry but championship teams don't always play by the rules and are willing to rise up and meet the opposition head on. The Duds shouldn't be more than a speed bump, the Bolt's must take command and control early and set the tone and force their will upon the Duds.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Imposing your will on the opponent is always a key to winning any contest.

We hold McFadden under 100 & harass Palmer, we win.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Sometimes that means getting down and dirty and rising to meet the task. Fight fire with fire and be the quickest on the draw.