1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' weakness: Defensive line

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN
    By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson
    5-27-2010

The Chargers’ run defense was a big problem in 2009. From my perspective, the defensive line was the culprit for this inability to consistently close down running lanes. What has changed so dramatically from a year ago to suggest that the problem has been corrected? At defensive end, San Diego will start Luis Castillo and Jacques Cesaire. Castillo is the Chargers’ best defensive lineman, but you wouldn’t know it from watching him last year. Last season may have been his worst as a pro, which obviously is a concern. Plus, he no longer benefits from a strong supporting cast around him up front. But at his age, he should rebound.

My impression of Cesaire is that he was perfect as a third defensive end behind Castillo and Igor Olshansky, who now plays for Dallas. But he isn’t powerful enough and doesn’t have the size to do it for a high number of snaps for an extended stretch of games.

I like Alfonso Boone, but he’s best suited to be used as a third defensive end, as Cesaire was. Boone is a good athlete and has above average pass-rush skills for a 3-4 end, but he doesn’t have the makeup to handle double teams and the grind of the trenches for the long haul.

Ian Scott is penciled in as the starter on the nose, but he is ordinary on a good day. He can hold down the fort, but surely is not going to make anyone forget about Jamal Williams, who now resides with AFC West rival Denver.

San Diego did look to get a steal in the fifth round in nose tackle prospect Cam Thomas. He has quite a bit of ability to handle this role, but rarely do rookie nose tackles enter this league and make a big impact. Plus, there is a reason he lasted as long as he did in the draft, which is mostly because of inconsistent play.

The Chargers do have some big-bodied projects in Ogemdi Nwagbuo and Vaughn Martin. Neither player has been spectacular when they have seen the field, but there is some ability there. San Diego needs one of these two or Thomas to really exceed expectations in 2010.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, we have plenty of bodies to throw out there.

Wonder who gets cut out of that group

3. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    no mention of Travis Johnson??
    not say'in he makes us great but he is another body and has some potential to live up to his 1st round selection way back when.

4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    by the by isn't our secondary more worrisome than the d-line?
    i love Cason (for reasons I have yet to understand) but the dude 'aint done much and has had lapses. the safeties are a question mark and who's the nickel this year? gregory again (he was fine, just asking)?

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Our D-line is the glaring weakness because writers don't know who plays where or that they even exist at all.

Got it. [​IMG]

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good read except for the last sentence.

The Chargers need ALL 3 to become the next coming of jesus christ or this year will be another year of high hopes and dashed results. We need help along the D-line big time.

And who backs up Marcus McNeil ?

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm hoping the D-line is an area of surprise this year. We have a collection of dudes that might be able to kick *** and make a few plays. Some young and some old timers that could gel and make just a few more play's when it counts than they did last year. They don't have to be the 85 Bears but I sure as hell wouldn't complain if the were.

8. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Another case of a former Denver beat writer filling space with incomplete info in the off-season. Nothing more, nothing less. This guy is a hack, always been a hack, and will NEVER be anything more than a hack.

He doesn't even mention Travis Johnson or Garay. His view of OG is way off base. No metion of Bingham either, who was slated last year as JWall's backup before he got injured in camp.

I love how people in the national press refuse to actually research there stories and put so little into them. A bush league article by a bush league writer for a bush league company.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Oh god, don't tell me it's Jeremy Clary....Dombrowski? If Big Mac goes down we are in BIG trouble on that left side.....:no:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Obvious article is obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    We do need our defensive line to continue to step up and yes we do need OG/Martin/Garay/Thomas to make some advancements otherwise the line really is only populated by journeymen. Admittedly the rotation of journeymen did well considering but we do need to see improvement from all of those guys in an area that was one of the weakest on the team. That the author of the article was a bit of a drone doesn't change the obvious need

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Amazing how many articles are written that seem to ignore so many players. I read an article the other day about Nathan Vasher in SD and not one mention of Antoine Cason. All it talked about was how he was going to try and replace Cro, where do these writers get off?. Crazy bad.