1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will be working out Marcus Mariota

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Considering the Chargers have a limited number of players they can workout, why bring in Mariota if there isn't real interest? Is Rivers on his way out? Let the speculation start....

Oregon's pro day might not have been what former Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota was hoping for, but his opportunities to leave a better final impression on various NFL clubs haven't run out.

The Heisman Trophy winner has scheduled private workouts with the New York Jets on March 28, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on April 9 and the San Diego Chargers on April 15, according to a College Football 24/7 source. The Buccaneers hold the No. 1 overall pick of the NFL draft and are in need of a quarterback. Mariota's workout there could help the club decide between he and Florida State's Jameis Winston as the No. 1 pick of the draft.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Miracle if he drops to 17. Also a little controversial to go QB with all our Needs. It would definitely spilt the locker room after our annual slow start.

I can't see him past the Jets.

Oh and don't be a drama starter or those Bree's fanboys will sprout again.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    smokescreen, liars month, et

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    That's not the scenario being speculated...... a trade for the #2 pick with the Whizzer is what's being talked about. Oh, I'd did start the rumor either, just reporting it.

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    JohnnyX

Why shoot the messenger?! :rolleyes:

6. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    We do have a recent history of lighting up a fire under the sitting QB's arse. Must be something in the water cooler in the HQ at Murphy Canyon ;)

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    There's plenty here for conspiracy theorists, so I don't get the head in the sand attitude. Fans love to speculate about who their team could trade for, but never want to talk about the possibility that one of their favorite players might get traded away.

Doesn't mean it will ever happen, but if you're going to up and leave town, that's the best time to blow things up and start fresh.

8. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I like Mariota as QB but I'd totally change my opinion of TT if he traded Philip for Mariota

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I could see Mariota falling down draft boards for sure. This is just Telesco doing his due diligence in case he can't strike a deal with 17 long term before the draft I'm assuming.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Rivers is going to be our quarterback of the near future but everyone knows that he can't play forever and eventually there is going to be someone else lining up under centre in San Diego.

I can see Mariota dropping to the 2nd round in the draft and I wouldn't be surprised if Telesco took a good look at him. My thinking is that maybe Tom wants to get a talented QB to sit behind Rivers for a few years, ALA Rodgers in Green Bay behind Favre! Worked out pretty good for Green Bay.

Chargers don't have that many holes to fill and have done well in Free Agency already, so using up 2nd rounder wouldn't be too much of a risk really.

For the record I don't think this will be what actually happens...but it is certainly a viable situation IMO

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    You win optimistic post of the year. Lol Mariota has no chance of falling to the 2nd round.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm hoping Philip plays 4 more years so I don't want a developmental QB now, maybe in thw 2017/2018 draft

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Same here but maybe Rivers wants to retire early? He doesn't strike me as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady that would want to be pushing 40 and with a bad back a still playing in the NFL. Still all speculation now. We'll have better sense when Rivers begins negotiations for a new contract. Which should be soon seeing Big Ben setting the market at 99 million.

14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm very against starting rookie QBs immediately because it can ruin them and develop bad habits so if we took someone and let them learn for a couple years we could very well have our post-Rivers QB.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I've never watched Mariota with a scouts eye because I've had no reason to, I figured Rivers would be here long enough that maybe we'd wait until 2016 before even considering a QB in the 1st. But I did today...

+ Mobility (obviously)
    + Composure late in games
    + Lightning quick release
    + Better than average arm strength
    + Keeps eyes up field when on the run, always capable of throwing.

- At times, terrible mechanics.
    - Mediocre accuracy, seems to become a 50/50 passer on anything farther than 10 yards.
    - Simple scheme, lots of 1 read short throws.
    - Makes some Jay Cutler style suicide throws (Back foot cross field) that should get picked.

I think he should be a mid-late 1st round pick. But due to the importance of the QB position, the growing popularity of mobile QBs, and his "coachability" I think it's very unlikely he falls. Worth our time to scout and sit behind Rivers for a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Which is why he'd be a disaster as a starting rookie in any offense other than Chip Kelly. Though sitting a year and really working on transitionting might help his career last longer ala Rivers arm mechanics or Rodgers pocket presence.

17. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I don't really get that logic, but I always hear it thrown around.

I would believe that if its a scenario like Rivers where he gets to back up an elite QB and learn the ropes. I also get the idea that it keeps them humble and makes them continue to work hard instead of having the starting job handed to them right away.

But in terms of actual football development, what better way is there to adjust to the NFL game ... than actually playing in NFL games?

18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Most college QBs are not mature enough for the NFL level of play and the chance you take is that by the time your "Franchise" QB gets actual game time experience, he could rapidly become damaged goods. The NFL is littered with that sort and not too long ago, we had one of the worst disasters of such catastrophic scenarios.

I think the biggest problem with most college QBs these days is that the college game no longer is farming future NFL stereotypical classic pocket passer QBs with some decent mobility, as most college offenses more and more the faster and more "exciting" run and shoot offenses. For these latter type of college QBs, I don't think that your idea is the best fit for!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Your first round QB is an investment and teams shouldn't start them when they aren't ready to make that transition. In rare cases rookie QBS can start and do well but it's definitely not the norm.

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We haven't really discussed around here the possibility that Rivers may be thinking about retirement soon. He's made over $100M in this league already, we know he has back issues, and he's never had the strongest arm. There is a possibility that he's told Telesco that he won't sign a long term extension, especially if the Chargers were to move to LA.

If Mariota should slide, he wouldn't be the worst option for a 1-2 year apprenticeship under Rivers/McCoy.

And from a front office POV, the prospect of Mariota's future could extend the Telesco/McCoy era even if we bomb this season.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    There is also speculation going around that Chip Kelly traded for Bradford so he can flip him to Tennessee to move up for Mariota. After the trades we've seen so far this off season and what Chip has done so far, I wouldn't put it past them.

I'd rather wait for Kevin Hogan

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Why would the Titans want Bradford any more than Foles? They could have made the trade directly.

And if they do like Bradford, wouldn't they have traded for him themselves and keep their 2nd round pick, and then trade back with the Eagles.

There is always the risk that the Titans would back out of a trade like this, and Chip would be stuck with an expensive injury prone QB he didn't really want....not to mention the 4th and 2nd round picks he gave up. It sounds like they do like Mettenberger enough to pass on a QB at 2.

It doesn't make sense to me. I bet they stick with Foles.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And to ADD to this theory that is growing in my brain, I'd bet you guys like LaDanian Tomlinson are talking to Philip and telling him how great show business is. I can absolutely see Rivers on TV some day, in fact I think he'd be excellent.

Make money on the NFL without risking my long term health?
    Have more time to spend with my 7 kids?
    Sign me up.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    But if you get the hardware first, more people will listen to you. ;)

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Listening to Rivers talk and play there is no other way to put it, Rivers is crazy (in a good way, which also give the people from the outside looking in a perception that he is an A hole which is in fact quite the opposite)
    You ask him about a certain play from 5 years ago, and he will talk about it detail for detail with a fire in his eye. Players like that now a days come few and far between. He plays because he love the game, he loves the energy, and loves being out there.

Like you stated he made his bucks and can clearly walk away right now (whats another 15 million when you already made 100), but he isn't and I doubt he will. Guys who are contemplating retirement (even having a little bird chirp in his ear) aren't usually watching film and working out at the teams facility everyday

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Maybe it's MORE than just one little bird whispering in his ear. Consider that Nick Hardwick and Jeromey Clary (his golf buddies) just retired. Antonio Gates will turn 35, and Malcolm Floyd will turn 34 this year, and both are on the final years of their contracts. At some point you have to weigh the value of your long term health, and we know Rivers already has issues in that department.

BTW Contemplating retirement, and not bothering to watch film and work out, are two very different things. Rivers doesn't seem the type to lose respect for the game and half *** it, ever.

27. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    TT is really going after high risk character. First Jimmy Wilson, then Hardy. This guy is worst of all though.....

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Is this an attempt to get teams to trade up for him if he falls to us? Something tells me no one would buy that crap. If Mariotta arrives at 17, it's quite possible the Chargers trade with someone who wants him. Kind of like the Manziel situation last year except that the Eagles jumped us on it

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Naw, that strategy would only work to get teams to trade ahead of us. Nobody would wait until we're on the board if they thought we really wanted him.