1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will cut 27 players by Saturday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer | Monday, August 25, 2008

SAN DIEGO ---- Brandyn Dombrowski was speaking about himself, but his thoughts represent those of more than two dozen other Chargers.

"It's definitely nerve-wracking right now," said Dombrowski, an undrafted free-agent guard. "Everybody, of course, wants to make the team, but it's not going to happen for everybody. So all I can do is play my hardest and have fun."

Monday's preseason game against Seattle at Qualcomm Stadium begins a frenzied week in which the Chargers play another game four days later and must trim 27 players from the roster by 3 p.m. on Saturday.

After playing the Seahawks, the Chargers will need to cut five players Tuesday to pare the roster to 75. Then, the day after Friday's preseason finale at San Francisco, 22 more players will be released to cut the roster to the mandatory 53-player limit.

So on a stacked team like the Chargers, numerous players are dissecting the roster, trying to assess their chances of making the squad. They're counting how many players are in camp at their position and guessing how many the Chargers will keep.

"You always do that," said Dombrowski, a former San Diego State player. "But in this league, you never know what they're going to do until it's actually done.

"It's in their hands. Like I said, I worked my hardest."

Chargers coach Norv Turner said the situation is challenging. Preparing for two games in such a short time span is tough enough, let alone making decisions that affect people's livelihoods immediately after each contest.

"We do have to make a cut Tuesday after the (Monday) game ---- fortunately, it's only five guys at this cut ---- and it gets tough," Turner said. "These are guys who have worked awfully hard, guys who have been in this organization, guys who have been around.

"The next cut is the real tough one, when we get to 53."

Rookie long shots and undrafted free agents can find many examples of players in the Chargers' locker room who overcame big odds to make an NFL roster.

Star players such as tight end Antonio Gates and guard Kris Dielman were undrafted free agents, as were inside linebacker Stephen Cooper, receiver/special teams ace Kassim Osgood and defensive end Jacques Cesaire.

Invariably, a long shot will approach one of those players and express their sentiments.

"They'll say, 'I want to be like you,' " said Cesaire, entering his sixth season with the Chargers. "I tell them that you have to just work hard. Don't sign a contract and think you've made it. You need to work that much harder to make the team."

Second-year linebacker Jyles Tucker found out just how hard it was to make the Chargers last preseason. Now on the verge of replacing injured star outside linebacker Shawne Merriman in the starting lineup, Tucker was released in the final roster cuts beforelast season.

He was re-signed to the practice squad and activated in late November when Carlos Polk suffered a season-ending shoulder injury. A month later, Tucker put on a stunning display by recording three sacks in a game against Oakland to earn AFC defensive player of the week honors.

"It was a challenge coming into it and understanding that, as a free agent, it's going to be very hard to make it anyway," Tucker recalled. "To come out here and try to make it as an outside linebacker knowing who's on the team and they were already set two-deep at pretty much every position, that made the challenge even harder than what it really was.

"You just had to know your role. I knew coming in here I wasn't going to be able to play defense. I had to be able to do special teams. That was for anybody that comes into the league."

Veteran linebacker Matt Wilhelm said he can see the apprehension of players on the bubble during late-August practices.

"They are hard-pressed and trying to do as much as they can and be as perfect as they can through practice and going extra hard," Wilhelm said, "whether it be special teams drills or whatever it may be. They want to make an impact and have it be in a positive light in the coaches' mind."

So while preseason affairs are mostly meaningless for established veterans, the two games this week might be the most meaningful games some Chargers will ever play.

"I'm just trying to find a spot, wherever that may be," undrafted free-agent receiver Gary Banks said. "I'm trying to slip on this team in some kind of way. Special teams or whatever it takes, I'm willing to do it to stick."

Chargers notes

Seattle P Ryan Plackemeier will play Monday night for the first time this preseason. The Fallbrook High alumnus is returning from surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. ... Third-string QB Charlie Frye is scheduled to start for the Seahawks with Matt Hasselbeck sidelined with a back injury. Backup QB Seneca Wallace (groin) could be available to see some action. ... Chargers officials are urging fans to arrive early for Monday's 5 p.m. game to help ease traffic concerns in Mission Valley. The Padres also play Monday night (7:05 p.m. at Petco Park).

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,003
    So the Chargers will knock enough people off their roster in one shot to get to the 53 person limit or will they do it in two sets?

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think they will do it in 1 shot by next Tuesday. Some really good players will be on that list too. Won't be shocked if it's a well known vet too. This team is just overflowing with talent and most positions are stacked. Not a bad problem to have actually. In the past it was always the other way around....:icon_sad:

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    No kidding, others now pick through our castoffs.

5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    wes welker.......

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Y'all must notta read the article :rolleyes2:

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    After playing the Seahawks, the Chargers will need to cut five players Tuesday to pare the roster to 75. Then, the day after Friday's preseason finale at San Francisco, 22 more players will be released to cut the roster to the mandatory 53-player limit.

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Too bad, some really good players will have to be cut.
    .. and we don't know how injuries will develop.
    Even the practice squad players can be catched by other teams.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cut Derek Smith. :mad2:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Say good bye to the Illustrated man, unless he makes the PS.

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Buck, I have been giving that one some thought myself...

I expect the Chargers to keep 5 RBs and 5 WRs this season - and if they do its going to be hard to keep Smith on the roster. At this point I am thinking I would rather see the Chargers split the SAM duties between Waters and Polk (he has played there in the past). Both should be better in run support IMO.

12. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Please not Polk one of our oldest players who has been injured every year with the Chargers.

We lost:

Turner, Florence, McCree, LoNeal, Olivea, and Parker.

That is 6 spots when we really only added 7-8 guys. People act like we have to cut a bunch of players, but who are we adding?

Waters and Siler were on our roster last year. So was Gregory, Oliver, and Gordon.

We will probably keep all our WRs. At the FB we will have only one. LT, Sproles, Hester, and Marcus will be our RBs.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    With the talk of trading or cutting Kassim and/or Polk, we could package them for a higher choice than either alone, if dropping them is the decision made by the team. Polk and Smith are both running out their string, but I think Smith is the more versatile player and worth more this particular season.

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    anyone else think the 27 guys cut might make a decent arena league or CFL team?:yes::lol:

I been looking for Robertson this pre season I've hardly seen him play.:icon_huh:

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Ah shoot. Don't remind me on that one. I am STILL pissed we let that dude go! :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,003
    oops
    Even G-d can make mistakes - he made Oakland after all :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +508
    I watched the Roundtable thingie on the UT today. Acee reckons the roster is set and that Pinnock, Polk and Floyd all make the 53. If this is true I guess it means Marcus Thomas is headed for the PS (assuming Tolbert gets into the 53 too). It also means one of Dobbins or Applewhite is gone. I thought Applewhite was making a big case to stick this offseason.

Thoughts?....

I'm still unsure who will be in/out come saturday?. How many O linemen are we going with for example?. How many LBs?.

:icon_shrug:

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Hard for me to justify dumping Applewhite or Dobbins and keeping Polk.

19. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Do not take tolbert out of discussion. He's in. I'm willing to bank on it.

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +508
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking all along too.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +508
    Acee has been saying Tolbert is in for quite a while. What I'm saying is, it is making me believe Marcus Thomas is not gonna make it to the 53. I've a feeling he might not last long on the PS what with the injuries teams have at the RB position.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Pinnock COULD still get the ax, but I'm thinking that he sticks.

Here's my roster:

10 Kaeding, Nate K
    5 Scifres, Mike P
    50 Binn, David LS

17 Rivers, Philip QB
    7 Volek, Billy QB
    6 Whitehurst, Charlie QB

89 Chambers, Chris WR
    83 Jackson, Vincent WR
    84 Davis, Buster WR
    11 Naanee , Legedu WR
    80 Floyd, Malcom WR
    81 Osgood, Kassim WR
    82 Jones, Mark WR
    12 Banks, Gary WR - Practice Squad

85 Gates, Antonio TE
    86 Manumaleuna, Brandon TE
    87 Chandler, Scott TE
    47 Betschart, Wade FB-TE

21 Tomlinson, LaDainian RB
    22 Hester , Jacob RB
    43 Sproles, Darren RB
    25 Thomas, Marcus RB - Practice Squad
    30 Buckley, Eldra RB

34 Pinnock, Andrew FB-RB
    35 Tolbert, Mike FB

61 Hardwick, Nick C
    62 Newberry, Jeremy C
    65 Withrow, Cory C

73 McNeill, Marcus OT
    66 Clary, Jeromey OT
    70 Shelton, L.J. OT
    77 Pape, Tony T
    60 Luellen, Tyler T

75 Clark, Corey OT - - Practice Squad

68 Dielman, Kris G
    79 Goff, Mike G
    63 Mruczkowski, Scott G
    64 Robertson, Erik C-G
    69 Dombrowski, Brandyn G - - Practice Squad

23 Jammer, Quentin CB
    31 Cromartie, Antonio CB
    20 Cason, Antoine CB
    24 Gordon, Cletis CB
    37 Bell, Josh CB - Practice Squad
    29 Tribble, DeJuan CB - Practice Squad

32 Weddle, Eric SS
    42 Hart, Clinton FS
    27 Oliver, Paul CB
    28 Gregory, Steve CB-S
    36 Battle, Tra SS - Practice Squad
    38 Bonner, Brian S

56 Merriman, Shawne OLB
    95 Phillips, Shaun LB
    94 Tucker , Jyles LB
    92 Harris, Marques LB
    52 Polk, Carlos LB
    45 Nande , Terna OLB
    48 Bakhtiari, Eric OLB

49 Applewhite, Antwan LB

57 Wilhelm, Matt LB
    54 Cooper, Stephen LB
    58 Smith, Derek LB
    53 Waters, Anthony LB
    51 Dobbins, Tim LB
    59 Siler, Brandon LB

76 Williams, Jamal DT
    93 Castillo, Luis DE
    99 Olshansky, Igor DE
    97 Bingham, Ryon DE-DT
    91 McKinney, Brandon DT
    74 Cesaire, Jacques DE
    71 Divens, Lamar DT

90 Jackson, Keith DT
    96 Grennan, Keith DE - Practice Squad
    78 Coleman, Andre DE

I'm thinking that Thomas may get picked up off of waivers. I think Oz is here - not saying I agree, but I think it's reality. If Thomas gets swiped, I'd put Erik Robertson on the PS. Divens, IMO, needs to make the squad. He shows promise & will get taken from the PS. I'd punt McKinney and/or Bingham, but we need big bodies, they know our D, & no one else showed better play in preseason. I'd like to ****-can Derek Smith but again - see anyone better currently available?