1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will give The Burner the highest tender

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, Feb 28, 2007.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
  2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Smart move by AJ. Most likely, we keep Turner one more year, but if some team wants to trade a #1 for Turner, AJ can listen to offers. If he'd just given Michael the first round tender, then Mike could have signed anywhere for a first. Now, he only goes for a first if AJ wants him to. Or we get to keep him for one more year.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    FU Shanahan. :tup:

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thank you Gawd :abq2: and Gawd is good :abq2:

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
  7. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    If I were a GM picking from 25-32 I would give up the 1st and 3rd "jez sayin'" :icon_rofl:

If someone does give up the 1st and 3rd we are going to be LOADED... 6 first day picks :icon_eek:

8. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Very unlikely. I'd be shocked and a very happy fan. But there's always hoping. :)

I just think AJ did it so he has all the leverage when it comes to his own players.

9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Statistically speaking only 50% of the players drafted between the 25-32 spots each year pan out to be highly productive players in the NFL. MT is a sure thing and giving those picks up guarantees you his rights and you take him off the market and save money by signing him for less than you would in a bidding war. Some teams love picks while others would rather bring in FAs and trade picks for proven players. Would AJ ever trade picks for a guy like MT on another team? No. Would some crackhead GM? Yes.

10. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    How many players have you seen EVER leave in restricted free agency? Since this system was put in place, you can probably count the amount of restricted free agents that left on one hand.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Michael Turner is a franchise running back. Specimens like him don't pop up in the RFA pool every year. It's not like teams are going to see that AJ has put the 1&3 tender on him and say 'forget it'. They will sit down and think hard about it, especially if they covet him and we all know how certain GMs were drooling over his nutsack in the past.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I like the burner. :yes:

13. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    He's not the first stud restricted free agent to hit the market.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Ok then e-mail the NFL with your argument and they will do away with RFA altogether right... problem solved :tup:

15. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm not arguing that the league should do away with restricted free agency. The league has restricted free agency in order to discourage players from leaving their current teams all the while giving that player a chance at a new contract. It is obviously working as the rate of unrestricted free agents hitting the market isn't what it once was.

Name me the last big name restricted free agent to leave? Afterall, proven talent > the draft compensation they are tendered since the draft is pretty hit or miss right? :unsure:

16. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    He is a "stud" backup .. He has yet to prove that he can take the banging from a complete NFL season. I'm not saying he can't but he still would have a lot to prove. He could turn out to be another Gary Brown ffs .. I still think AJ should get all that he can from him and I wish him the best of luck.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ths is a win/win situation for us. If someone tries to sign MT away, we get the picks, if not, shiiiit, we've got the Burner tearing it up for us for another year.

18. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    If the player is worth a hoot the team will match, which is why most are garbage. To have a backup running back who is one of the best RB's in the nfl is a unique situation. When you add an RFA it's usually because there are no options around and you're in a position to make a move towards a championship and a single player can get you over the hump. I guess that doesn't apply for a team like the Jets but it does for Baltimore. Give them a hardcore running game they have been lacking since Lewis went down the crapper in exchange for a late 1st and late 3rd and they are superbowl contenders.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

Good post... :tup:

20. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I believe that AJ is asking a 1st and a 3rd, but he can settle for less, say a second rounder if he wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Baltimore makes a lot of sense. There also in a spot where giving up a first and third for a semi-proven back is not outrageous. They'd have to probably give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up to get a back that could start this year anways. Plus, Turner is essentially Jamal Lewis with more speed (5-10 235# for MT, 5-11 243 for Lewis) if they are interested in satying with the same type of runner instead of more of a scatback. BTW, here is an ESPN Insdier profile of

Turner:
    Grade 70
    Expert's Take: Turner is one of the premiere restricted free agents available. He is available with fifth-round compensation, which means the Chargers will surely have to tender him at a minimum of first-round compensation. Turner backs up the best running back in the NFL in LaDainian Tomlinson. Turner is a talented player who could start for half the teams in the NFL. He averaged 6.3 yards per carry and nearly 16-yards per reception this season. He is a short, but powerful, well-built runner. He has an extremely thick-muscled frame, especially in is lower body. He is a tough inside runner who gets yards after contact because of his strong leg drive. He is a patient runner who shows excellent vision to set up his blocks before he hits the hole. He is a downhill runner who hits the hole with solid force. He has solid cut-back ability. He looked like he improved his ability to make defenders miss last season. He does a good job of pressing the hole. He runs with solid balance and body control and it's tough to get him off his feet. He runs with a very good center of gravity. He shows the foot quickness to get to the edge. He gets his shoulders square quickly once he gets to the corner and he will lower the boom on corners who try to tackle him out on the perimeter. He improved as a pass blocker this season. His vision and blitz-pickup awareness were much better than previous seasons. He is not a true burner in terms of his speed, but he does build to speed and he can run away from defenders when he shakes loose in the open field. He has very good value as a kick return man. He averaged 26.5 yards per kick return this season. Despite plenty of touches over his career as a return man and ball carrier he has only put the ball on the ground one time. He does need to improve his pass-catching ability. He only had three receptions last season and he still does not seem natural catching the ball out of the backfield. If a team makes a play for him as a restricted free agent they have to be convinced he can be an every-down player and catch it consistently out of the backfield, but that is the one thing he has not shown over his career.

22. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383

Hey thanks for the profile. If you want to compare Turner to Jamal Lewis before he was thrown into the slammer then fine but it's important to remember that Turner is probably the most secure ballcarrier in the NFL and Lewis had fumblitis. Fumbling is huge.

23. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Fumbling is also huge in prison. Bad things happen when you fumble the soap in the shower...

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Yeah leisure told me about that and how he secretly desires to get caught for tax fraud so that he can visit his friends bubba and mack again in cell block 6

25. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    leisure knows bubba? Tax evasion by a liberal?

Say it isn't so.

• Like Like x 1
  26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Think this was very stupid by AJ but i'm definetely and obviously in the minority

27. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    what if AJ is playing mind games and thinks that someone will bite because of the demand for running backs this offseason? As far as I'm concerned AJ has never made a single mistake as GM :kisskiss:

28. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree. If AJ can get a low first-round pick for Turner he should jump on it. Bottom line, Turner's value to us is pretty limited. He gives us six carries a game, and doesn't a decent job returning kicks.

I'd gladly give that up for the chance to get a Luis Castillo-level player in the draft, especially since Turner will only be with us for one more season.

Yes, Turner is a stud, but we're still only talking about 6 carries a game.

29. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    This is the smartest thing AJ could have done with Michael Turner. He has all the leverage now. If someone wants to give up a 1st and 3rd then more power to them (unlikely), otherwise AJ can field offers and if any deal is worthwhile AJ will bite. Otherwise, Michael Turner will remain a bolt for the next year. Which isn't such a bad thing, considering after next year, they'd likely receive 3rd rd compensation for Turner. In essence, it's 1 year of service + a 3rd Rd draft pick, or trade him to the best offer... instead of losing him for a random 1st rounder when there are multiple suitors.