1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will learn from '09 mistakes, or Crash and Burn in 2010

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I'm not going to get my hopes up for 2010. I'll just keep a level head and see how things end up in 2010. I fully expect them to be no worse than 10-6 with their schedule, but the regular season seems not to matter with this team.

They will learn from past mistakes, and rise to the occasion (like we all thought they were doing in 2009), or they will crash and burn BAD in 2010. We all thought they learned from 2006-2008 what it takes to get to the SB, but they didn't handle the pressure, and choked.

Anything less than a SB is a complete failure for the upcoming season. No matter what they do in the regular season, or in the playoffs, if there is no SB with Norv, the season is a failure again.

I'll remain positive, and hopeful during the off season, and during the season, but I'm always going to be thinking about another choke job in the playoffs until they prove me wrong.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the chargers need to show me they learned something from what happened, i don't care about them flapping their gums and talking about it. Put up AND shut up

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, sounds exactly like last season. A broken record. :no:

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The difference between this season and the last two seasons is the past two seasons I felt they were prepared for the post season and were just victims of circumstance, whereas this season I don't think they were prepared in the slightest.

5. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I was thinking they might just implode in 2010 from the backlash of the 2009 season failure.

I hope I'm wrong. :icon_shrug:

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    19-0 here we come...

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It looks half full to me.

[​IMG]

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Only if Nate googles "San Diego sports psychologists".

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    You know why they will win the Superbowl next year? BEcause LT will not be on the team. I'm not saying we aren't winning because of him I'm just saying that is the way things always seem to work out. The first year he is gone the Bolts will win it and he is gonna be pissed!

Other then that, I will hold off on trying to figure next year out because we have a lot of players on the fence on whether they will be back or not and they aren't "just" players but important players.

Will be intersting. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

10. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    I can look at the 96 Broncos. the Jags came in and beat them At Mile High. 97 and 98 the Broncos learned from that loss. I hope this is what happens to the Chargers.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If they learn anything I hope they learn there is no magical switch that be flipped on when their backs are against the wall.

Go out there with a sense of urgency, every play in every game from start to finish. How games did we score on our first possession of the game?

Otherwise, history will be doomed to be repeated

:tdown:

Unfortunately, I think it's part of this teams personality.

:bolt:

12. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Collectively go for the jugular when we are on top.
    If we should be 21 pts up on the Jets at HT .....then BE 21 pts up on the Jets at HT.

No matter the game, if we get the ball back with a min to go in the 1st half, then go for points.
    Attack, attack, attack

13. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

It this was a beer, I would be ordering another one...I guess that tells you how I see things! :lol:

There is no reason to think the Chargers will learn from their mistakes; we have all been here before. With that said, I will still look for signs of hope in every game next year...and be nervous as heck if they make it into the playoffs. This team can be explosive, we are never out of any game. We can survive to win even when we shoot ourselves in the foot...just not when we shoot both feet.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm always nervous come playoff time no matter how good the team does or does not look or how the past has gone.

That's the general nature of a win or go home game. It comes with the territory.

And, on a side note, am I the only one here who thinks this is the first of the past three years the team wasn't prepared going into the playoffs?

In 2007 they looked like they had it in them to go all the way and fell victim to a combination of injuries to key players and going up against an undefeated team in their home.

Last year they weren't "supposed" to do anything in the playoffs and they sent the Colts home. Then they lost to the Steelers thanks mainly to a string of crazy events in the third quarter.

IMHO this was the first year under Norv where I honestly believe they weren't prepared coming into the playoff game.

15. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    In general I agree with you.

I will say that this is not the first playoff game we mentally were not prepared. We make too many mistakes during home playoff games! I’m not talking about dropped balls or bad passes…just dumb *** mistakes. I felt this was the first time we had the combination of (at times) poor execution + dumb-*** mistakes. Crazy that we hung in there to the end…tells me the Jets are lucky to be playing today…good team, but not as good as we made them look!

16. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm with you

:tup:

17. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I am still convinced we can have 2 SB's in the next 5 years (2010,2011,2012,2013,2014).

I don't think that's unreasonable with our young talented players. We are not going to go every year, no team does, but 2 in the next 5 is within reach IMO.

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Maybe they spent too much time letting guys get healthy? The past years we were stopped because of injuries maybe Norv was hoping if guys got healthy they'd be able to pull it off. Only thing I can really think of that would explain it.

19. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I've gone through this exact same routine too many times to get my hopes up.

The Chargers wont win a superbowl next year, the year after that or the year after that.

This team is mentaly incapable of performing uder pressure.

In the words of one of our wisest presidents; “There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee...that says, fool me once, shame on...shame on you. It fooled me...you can't get fooled again.”

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Can I borrow your crystal ball?

I want to get power ball numbers for tomorrow night.

21. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    You don't need a crystal ball. All you need to do is look at how they've choked in the past.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

The Chargers have not learned. They still commit a ton of penalties, personal fouls and execution blunders in the post season.

I must say that, I was a little dissapointed in your comeback though. I'm sure you can do better than the whole power ball numbers line. That was pretty weak.

Instead explain why you think they'll win the superbowl next year. I doubt you can.:lol:

22. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I'm just curious, and I don't mean to hijack a thread, but it may factor into the Chargers operational problems.

Does the Santos family contribute to local charitable organizations, sponsor any kinds of youth activities, or in any way spread the wealth it has made from the Chargers to anyone outside the family?

23. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't know much about the Santos family...

Who are they?

24. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Portuguese old money, big in soccer.

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't know how anyone could tell if money generated from the Chargers has been given away. I doubt if they make that much.

And, the dude is from Stockton, so, he might have more interest in charitable activities up there.

the bold are San Diego locations

:tup:

from Wiki ------

2003 - Alex Spanos donates a hefty amount to renovate Lincoln High School's football stadium located in Stockton. The football field was one of the first in the country to be fitted with the advanced artificial turf now seen in the NFL. The stadium is used extensively by the football program as well as by other sports teams, the physical education classes, and the marching band.

2003 - San Diego Fire Relief Fund $1 million, the Chargers' Monday Night Football game which had to be moved from San Diego to Tempe, Ariz., football fans donated more than $230,000 to the relief fund.

2000 - The Spanos family and the Chargers announce the contribution of more than $3 million toward the new Chargers Champions community outreach initiative benefiting students, schools and educators who are "making the difference" for San Diego's future. Chargers Champions also encompasses the team's ongoing support of youth and high school football as well as its longstanding community service programs, such as the Blood Drive.

The Chargers honored 22 local high school juniors as the first Chargers Champions for demonstrating leadership, service, citizenship and commitment in their schools and communities. Each student receives a college tuition scholarship of $7,500 as well as a state-of-the-art laptop computer.

The Spanos family contributed $250,000 through Chargers Champions to create and fund freshman football and freshman volleyball in San Diego City Schools beginning in the fall of 2000.

1997 - The Alex G. Spanos Sports Fields are dedicated on the grounds of Kate Sessions Elementary School in Pacific Beach, California, culminating a $102,000 donation from the Alex Spanos Family. The students from Kate Sessions and The Bishops School, as well as the general community of Pacific Beach, use the fields.

Spanos donated $1 million to the American Red Cross to help flood victims in Northern California.

1996 - Spanos received the Gloria Swanson Humanitarian Award at the American Cinema Awards' 11th Annual All-Star Gala in Beverly Hills. The award is given to the individual who contributes, beyond all others, to those who are less fortunate in the United States and around the world.

He's been very generous to his alma mater, University of the Pacific. The 6,150-seat Alex G. Spanos Center opened on the Pacific campus in 1981, a $7 million events center used primarily for Pacific Tigers basketball and volleyball as well as a variety of community and university events. Pacific's landmark Conservatory of Music building contains the beautiful 950-seat Faye Spanos Concert Hall, home of the famed Brubeck Institute. The building and Hall were opened in 1927 and underwent extensive renovation in 1988 thanks to a leadership gift from Alex and Faye Spanos.

Alex G. Spanos Stadium is a 10,000-seat multi-purpose stadium in San Luis Obispo, California. It is home to the California Polytechnic State University Mustangs football team. The facility opened in 1935. It was renamed Alex G. Spanos Stadium in a ceremony on November 18, 2006.

Spanos was initiated into Stockton Chapter Order of DeMolay in Stockton in 1940. Spanos received his Masonic 33rd Degree at the San Francisco Scottish Rite Cathedreal of Free & Accepted Masons in 1995. He also belongs to the Ben Ali Shrine of Free & Accepted Masons in Sacramento, California. Spanos received the Legion of Honor from the Order of DeMolay in 1996. Spanos was inducted into the Order of DeMolay Hall of Fame on June 13, 1997.

Alex and Faye Spanos contributed a major gift of $1 million to the Greek Fire Relief Fund following the catastrophic fires that hit Greece in August 2007.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Who's to say they won't learn in the future?

Who's to say new personnel won't come in that can set them straight?

Who's to say they won't outright get lucky at the right times?

If it's such a definite they'll lose why don't they just forfeit the games?

So....can I borrow your crystal ball? As my status says I like money and your crystal ball can get me a lot of it.

And I'm not going to explain to you why they're going to win the Super Bowl next year. Unlike you I don't claim to know the future. They might win it, they might not. You're the one making a claim about what's going to happen in the future, not me.

27. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I assume you meant Spanos ;)

They absolutely do give back to the community, some publicly and some quietly (b/c really the point isn't to get credit it's just to give back)

-------------

Honestly, as frustrating and disappointing as it is that things fell apart in our final game this season and has in the past I don't believe it will always be this way or that there is a HUGE problem with the organization. **** happens. It sucks but you learn from it and you move on.

Considering all of the things this team DID do right in 2009 and the obstacles they overcame which would have crippled previous versions of the team I feel confident they can get past this hiccup too.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    To many bonehead play's killed them against the Jet's. The offense and defense played well, but stupid mistakes hurt the team big time.

I have been watching this team over 40 year's and it's always the same. Other than the year they backed into the Super Bowl, bad has always befallen the Bolt's.

I doubt all the chances that have been blown can be chalked up to the magic bullet "preparation" Hell, I'm sure the Jet's were prepared to play against Colt's, it's football and it rarely goes as we fan's envision it should. If it were that easy, I'd be making Norv's paycheck.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    WUT???

11-5? Beat the steelers to clinch a first round bye?

30. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    My error...the Spanos family....and thanks for the info, guys.