1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will open the season Monday Night @ Oakland

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    One of the few games announced is the Chargers playing the second game of a Monday Night double header @ Oakland opening week.

While I like Monday night games, I don't care for waiting until the LAST GAME of the week to see the Bolts on opening weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4009856

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Chargers @ Raiders Monday Night opener

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f68006&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Titans at Steelers will kickoff 2009 season as NFL honors AFL

National Football League

The NFL announced its 2009 Kickoff Weekend primetime television schedule -- including a Monday night "AFL 50th" doubleheader -- and the Thanksgiving Day national TV tripleheader.

In a tradition that began in 2004, the Super Bowl champion annually hosts the NFL Thursday night season kickoff the following year. This Sept. 10 at 8:30 p.m. ET on NBC, the Super Bowl XLIII champion Pittsburgh Steelers will host the AFC South champion Tennessee Titans, who had an NFL-best 13-3 record last season.

The Sunday night primetime game (8:30 p.m. ET) on NBC will feature a division matchup as the Green Bay Packers host the Chicago Bears. Green Bay and Chicago have won seven of the past eight NFC North titles.

On Monday, Sept. 14, ESPN will host a "Monday Night Football" doubleheader that will be part of the NFL's celebration of the 50th anniversary season of the American Football League. The four clubs competing that night began playing in the inaugural 1960 AFL season. The first game (7:00 p.m. ET) will send the Buffalo Bills to Foxboro to visit the New England Patriots, the decade's winningest team (102-42 since 2000). The MNF nightcap (10:15 p.m. ET) will be an AFC West battle as the Oakland Raiders host the three-time defending AFC West champion San Diego Chargers.

Continuing an innovation introduced in 2006, the NFL will serve up three nationally televised games on Thanksgiving Day.

The early game (Fox, 12:30 p.m. ET) will be an NFC North meeting of the Green Bay Packers at the Detroit Lions. The second game (CBS, 4:15 PM ET) features the Oakland Raiders visiting the Dallas Cowboys in the Raiders' first Thanksgiving game since 1970.

The Thanksgiving primetime game will be at 8:20 p.m. ET on NFL Network with the defending NFC East champion New York Giants visiting the Denver Broncos, marking the first Thanksgiving contest in Denver since 1963.

The announcement of the Kickoff Weekend and Thanksgiving games was made Monday by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif.

The rest of the 2009 regular-season schedule will be completed and announced in April

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

And again, media bias screws us and gives unworthy teams our spots. I call EMBRACE THE HATE!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

Fuk yeah, we're 1-0!

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!

What is it with Oakland? Last year they opened on Monday night vs Denver. Another two years befor that, they opened against us.

COUNTDOWN TO THE ANNUAL RAIDER ASSKICKING HAS BEGUN!!! :icon_banana:

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    What a way to open up the season - with a can of whoop-*** on the Raiders!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: WooHoo!!

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Just as I predicted. I'll bet Jerry Jones wanted a pansy team to whoop up on turkey day.

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

Son of a B*tch... the ONLY team playing on Thanksgiving that I don't hate with the fire of a thousand suns - is Green Bay.

And they play the early game...

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    F the Raiders.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    didn't we shut them out in that same slot 2 years ago:icon_huh:

here's to history repeating itself:tup:

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    WTF! The Raiders got the Thanksgiving slot. That is such bullshit! Why would the broadcaster even WANT the Raiders. No one really cares about them and the Cowboys will be looking at thier season wondering "what happened?" by then anyways. If the Chargers were in it it'd have a whole lot more meaning behind it. F the Raiders.
    On another note - YAY! Confidence booster to get the Bolts a-goin'.

• Like Like x 1
  12. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    27-0 me thinks :bolt:

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    There's these things called ratings, maybe you've heard of them?

The Raiders get tv ratings no matter how much we all hate them. Even thought they suck ***, they still have a MASSIVE fanbase, and a MASSIVE amount of people who hate them and love nothing more than to see them lose. Add those 2 groups together and you get big ratings, esp. on a holiday.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Man, three turkeys on turkey day

:tdown:

PS. Frack the Raiders

PSS

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It's a double header. The Bills also play the Patriots at Foxboro.

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Raiders have chance to set the tone early

March 23, 2009 5:18 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DANA POINT, Calif. -- If the Oakland Raiders are truly going to be different this year (and when I say different, I mean becoming a good team), they will have to set the tone early.

No better time than on opening day at home. For the third time in the four years ESPN has broadcast a "Monday Night Football" doubleheader to start the season, the Raiders are hosting the West Coast game. They will play AFC West champion San Diego on Sept. 14 in the back end of the doubleheader.

In 2006, the Chargers won 27-0 at Oakland on a Monday night game to start the season. Last year, Denver won 41-14 in Oakland to start the season. San Diego will be looking for its 12th straight win over Oakland.

The stakes are immense for the Raiders. If they can beat the Chargers, they can erase the memories of the recent Monday night flops and the Chargers' stranglehold on them. If Oakland wins this game, the Tom Cable era will be flying.

One of the reasons why Cable lost the interim tag and became Oakland's permanent head coach was the fact that the Raiders won their final two games of the 2008 season to finish 5-11.

The Raiders set an NFL record for losing at least 11 games in six straight seasons in 2008. But all the Cable regime is focused on is the momentum that was built at the end of last season. There is reason for hope in Oakland based on those two games.

If the Raiders can go out and win the Monday night opener, there will be great hope. If not, especially if the Chargers wax Oakland, despair will creep in.

The Raiders have a great opportunity to turn the tables early. Let's see if they can do it.

:lol:

We will kill them...:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    There is no doubt it! We will crush the Oakland Raiders handily. LT will have a field day spawning talk of "the return of Tomlinson?" where everyobdy and their mother will be commenting on LT's night. Rivers should have a career night. The defense will finally get to unveil everything they've been reworking. There is no better scenario for our boys. The first is game is primetime one against a division rival and we will show the world what we're made of.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    looks like LT is gonna get off to a great start this season, sheesh, this is practically a warm up game for the rest of the season

the last time we started the year w/ a MNF win @ Oak, 14-2.

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    can't say that I'm upset about the thanksgiving game :tup: now I get to see the game

Sep 14, get the countdown clock going :abq2:

20. twlaux

twlaux BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Hell Yah! So JaMarcus Russell will be the first victim that Merriman will have his hands on..I feel sorry for Russell..NOT!

• Like Like x 1
  21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't count Vick out.

22. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Prison Sex.

• Like Like x 1
  23. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Another turkey day with nothing on tv, I'll play w the kids I guess.

Another brutal opening night raping for the turds, remember what a fuqin beast our front 7 was that game a few years ago (mainly merriman) just the start we need to set the tone.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Prison Sex? Did someone say PRISON SEX...

• Like Like x 1
  25. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    OOOOHHHHHH I CANT WAIT FOR THE SEASON!!!

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
  27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    F me!, no trip to Dallas for TG then.

Wot genius decided the Raiders should goto big D!?.

I don't believe it. :icon_evil:

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    That would be Jerry Jones. He only wants teams he can crush on Thanksgiving. I'll bet he talked to Uncle Al over in Oakland and made him a deal. After that game, expect Uncle Al to extort a new stadium from Oakland.

29. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Looks like I'll be going on a GSXR ride for turkey day.

30. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Haha! Easy (and I mean really easy) win to start the season. That's what I'm talking about. This season we start with some momentium. BTW - What exactly was our record the last time we started the season waxing the Raiders on a MNF double header?