1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will pick 18th overall.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Dec 28, 2014.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Per my sportscenter app for ESPN. The Chargers will pick 18th overall in the 2015 NFL draft. Lets hear who, or what positions you think we need to address with this pick.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Per NFL.com we could pick 18th or 17th... it'll come down to a coin-flip between us and the Chiefs - since apparently that last Steelers win boosted their strength of schedule to dead even with ours.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Is there actually anything left to say? :p

Our armchair YouTube GMs have been breathlessly posting one prospect after another
    --right over the entire 16 game schedule--beginning 3 minutes after the 2014 draft ended!
    So much more entertaining than actual football games!

Just kidding mates: Let the tale--full of sound and fury--signifying the ramping up of
    conjecture and advocation (98% for guys who'll never get near bolts) only increase to an
    a chimeric yet excruciating din through May 2nd.

Let the losers watch the stupid playoff games...I'm all in on Gil's neurodegenerative musings!
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-nfl-draft-order-top-3-needs-for-all-32-teams

p.s. Oh, and we need a nose tackle and a center...and...well...all defensive positions...and...

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    From what I've read we still get a coin flip with KC for the 17th pick, our records and strength of schedule are identical....per Gil Brandt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Kevin Hogan

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    @UTgehlken: Steelers win had significance for Chargers. Gives KC same strength of schedule as SD. Due to next tiebreaker, SD now drafts at 17, KC 18.

So good news there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    The off season decision process this year will be slightly different than last year because there is more cap space available. However, TT won't lose sight of the fact that in 2016, there will be a significant number of big dollar FA decisions. So, I won't be surprised to see a number of short term, performance based contracts this year. There are 20 2015 FAs including Royal, Freeney, Flowers, Gachkar, Dunlap, Mathews, Wright, Gilchrist, Ohrnberger, etc. In 2016, a list of 21 includes Rivers, Weddle, Gates, Liuget, Ingram, Johnson, Green, etc. (my ref is: http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/san-diego-chargers/ )

Seems to me the order of discussion should be:
    - What areas are the most in need of improvement? (I vote for the OL, the DL, RB, WR, Safety, KR/PR - who may be one of the RB, WR, Safety choices.)
    - IR - who do we think will come back as good as before injury (e.g., can Woodhead return to his previous level of performance)
    - Which FAs (to include those currently on IR) do we try to keep and who do we let go? Probably dictated by combination of coach's grading + your answers to the first question. In some cases, age may also be a factor (Freeney, Clary, Harwick, Brown)
    - Outside FAs - does TT try to land one or two trophy FAs, or just get cheap, average players for depth?
    - Draft - after the experts shake and sort the draftee pecking order, does TT go for greatest need or best available?

8. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    First, hire Rex Ryan. I have never liked Pagano's game planning. Second, if we can't get a big time NT, we have to go to a 4-3 because our rush D is total Sh*t. OL & DL is a must for the first 3 rounds. If you control the line of scrimmage (O & D) and can run the ball, you will win the game!

• Like Like x 1
  9. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Paganism has his chance
    He did ok not great
    Rex can make us have a feared D again

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Purdy kneetoe.

11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    This is assuming Rex will accept a coordinator's job, which I seriously doubt. There are several teams that just fired coaches (or are about to, like Oakland) that would likely give Ryan the HC position and if none materialize, he can just go work on TV for a season of 2 until some desperate team offers him their job.

The only way I could see Rex taking a DC position would be if it was for a team that he wanted to coach, and the current Head coach was just barely hanging on, like in Miami or something.

12. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The next tie breaker is the head-to-head matchup, and the Chiefs swept us this year..... therefore, we pick ahead of them.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Pretty much. Rex is going to know, even with his ego, that he's not going to get unlimited chances to be a HC - likely the next one he accepts will be the last one he gets unless he has massive success and someone desperate tries to "Shannarat" him late in life. He's not hurting for money and he's got major name recognition. I can very easily see him deciding that the HC options offered to him aren't up to snuff (i.e. best chance to see John Harbaugh/Tom Coughlin/Mike McCarthy type longevity - which basically means at least get to a Super Bowl if not win one) and he opts for a network gig for the interim. But as many guys (see Gruden, Jon and Cowher, Bill) discover once they get to that network job, it's a lot less stressful and a lot less work (and time commitment) while still being paid comparably to be around and immersed in the sport that they love. And because of his dynamic personality, Rex could easily command a bidding war between ESPN/ABC, NFLN/NBC, and CBS/HBO.

With Harbaugh bailing for Michigan, the Niners staff could be ripe to pick from, but honestly, while I have my complaints about Pagano I stand by my belief that you don't trade him in unless you're getting an already proven better option, not just some speculative pickup who is like Reich was (never had much in the way of play-calling experience in the scheme he's seen so much recent success with as a positional coach). Call me crazy, but one of the few options I'd consider (and you'll call me crazy considering where the - front-7-talent lacking - defense he just commanded finished in rankings this past season) might be Mike Nolan, who was just canned today as part of Mike Smith's staff. Barring some other unexpected firings though (say Whis gets the ax in Tennessee - and no, if that happens I highly doubt he undermines Reich and comes back to be the OC here... possibly Assistant HC/Position Coach - and Ray Horton comes available), the number of proven options are really limited.

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I can see him taking a DC spot should nobody hire him as a HC. He wouldn't be the first ex-head coach to take a coordinator position in hopes of getting another promotion a year or two down the line after reestablishing himself.

See Norval for example. Or Wade Phillips.

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    OL.

7 Sacks yesterday. That's just pathetic.

Rivers was playing most of the game with a defender in his grill on pass plays.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    On the nose.

Priority 1, OL
    Priority 2, RB
    Priority 3, DL, Secondary

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Set the relative ability of Ryan aside for a moment.

Can anyone here imagine staid, serious, close-to-the-vest McCoy tolerating a drama queen like Ryan on his staff?

No f'ing way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Watch Telesco pickup an OLB.

19. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Priority 1, OL
    Priority 2, OL
    Priority 3, DL

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Well, it's not like we have many needs...... C, G, T, RB, WR, NT, DE, CB, S, OLB, ILB.

Those are the only pressing needs. ;)

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    You can never have too many pass rushers, and Ingram hasn't exactly been the picture of health.

Plus it's very likely we'll be active in FA, so our needs may change quickly.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I know there are other needs but both lines need a solid infusion of help. I don't care where it comes from just get them.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yes, Rivers was 11/12 to start the 2nd half despite being sacked twice in that time. O line is by far our biggest area of need.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Bolts have a ton of player reviews to go through just to whittle down a very large player list.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Much easier, these days, to list the (much fewer) positions at
    which the Chargers look good (set) for the next year or two. :unsure:

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 6.59.48 PM.png

27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +133
    I'd add TE to pressing needs too.

28. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +117
    I agree with this - Bolts defense needs to put pressure on the opposition to take the next step. They need playmakers.

No doubt the offensive line has at least three holes to fill, plus quality backups. If the Bolts could score a defensive "difference maker" in Rd 1 or 2, I'm fine with every other pick going to the OL.

'course another safety wouldn't hurt....

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    And everyone that doesn't make it from the draft, gets signed to the practice squad as centers...

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    OL MUST be adressed. Unless a great defensive player falls to us in the draft, I think that is the way team is heading.

Also Needs tends to be overused alot come draft day. I mean it's not like you can expect All Pros starting and backing up.