1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers will play to win

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 28, 2009

The Chargers are locked in as the AFC’s second seed in the playoffs, but their regular-season finale remains on the top of their minds.

The Chargers can’t alter their postseason fate or status in Sunday’s game against the Washington Redskins, but Head Coach Norv Turner scoffed Monday when someone used the term “meaningless” to describe San Diego’s regular-season finale.

“It’s not a meaningless game. To me playing and staying game-sharp and executing the things we need to do is big,” Turner said. “There are a lot of different theories, but I believe if you look back at different teams, teams that have continued to play and stayed sharp have had good success in the playoffs.”

Turner will decide his player rotation later in the week, but he believes it’s extremely important to maintain the momentum his team has built over the last two and a half months. The first-round bye the Chargers clinched Friday night in Tennessee will provide the opportunity for a physical break during Wild Card weekend, but players believe there is great value to being on the field against the Redskins.

“Obviously with us having the bye, I think it will be good for us to get out and play this week,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] said. “We’ll have a whole week to rest next week. Just to keep the rhythm of how we’re playing, I think that’s important.”

Said safety Eric Weddle[​IMG], “We’ve got to bring our A-game Sunday. We’ve got to continue to focus, continue to prepare and continue to do what we’ve done the last 10 weeks to continue this momentum. We don’t want to go into the playoffs on a bad note.”

Turner will take into account players who are battling injuries and possibly withhold them Sunday, but sitting a large number of starters isn’t something he’s considering.

“Certainly if there’s someone who has been injured that we can help them by limiting how much they play or not playing them, that’s what we’re going to do,” Turner said. Any decisions we make like that will be Friday or Saturday decisions. We’re going to have practices the way we practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Then if there’s someone who is limited because of an injury, we’re going to take that into account.”

As he did Friday night after the team’s win in Tennessee, Turner spoke of the importance of a strong week of practice leading up to the Redskins game. He believes his team’s preparation during the week has been the main reason why the Chargers have posted a 10-game winning streak. Turner has challenged his team to focus this week and prepare like they’re playing the most important game of the season.

“Where we’ve made our progress, and I said it even when we were struggling early, is the way we’ve practiced on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but even our Friday tempo has been outstanding,” Turner said. “There’s no question there are things we can work on. There are little wrinkles we can work on that we don’t have to use in this game. That is not only how you stay sharp but how you get better.”

That’s a message Turner’s players agree with wholeheartedly.

“We have to prepare the same way,” quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “Whatever Norv tells us at the end of the week, we’ll go out there and play like crazy to get our 13th win.”

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hell yes! I love Eric Weddle's comment. “We’ve got to bring our A-game Sunday. We’ve got to continue to focus, continue to prepare and continue to do what we’ve done the last 10 weeks to continue this momentum. We don’t want to go into the playoffs on a bad note.”

Sounds like these guys arn't going to play like they're scared to get injured. The whole point of earning the bye week was to get rest DURING the bye week, not before.

I wouldn't be against sitting Merriman though, I'd be nice to see him come back 100% in the playoffs after 2 weeks of resting that foot.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Just keep anyone who's remotely injured on the bench, and if you get a good enough of a lead, pull the big guns LIKE Rivers and LT

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    When Norv was on the radio after the Christmas game, he actually intimidated the dude who asked him about sitting players next week. We are going to go full steam into this game methinks.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
  6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Herman? Is that you? :lol:

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Play to win. But with your second stringers the game with washington. Chargers really need to rest and recoup some people for the playoffs. Winning the playoffs is all that matters. And winning the super bowl.:bolt::yes:

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What foober said....:tup:

9. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    My butt is going to clenched the whole game with our starters in. I don't like it one bit. We can't afford any more injuries! PUT RIVERS IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE UNTIL THE PLAYOFFS

10. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Am I insane for thinking that Volek can win this one?

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I imagine the plan will be similar to what we saw in Tennessee... #1's will be in until when/if the game is well in hand.

Although I do not imagine Merriman will start and possibly others depending on their health and type of injuries. If he sees time it will be limited since the only thing that will help his injury is rest. Finishing strong is important to carry them thru the bye week.

12. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Did anyone see how many players we lost in the first game of the season. That was one game! Kudos to the players for not wanting to lose momentum and stuff but No NO. We pull the important players after the first touchdown either way. Norv is not going to lose a big player before the playoffs in a game that means nothing as far as our ultimate goal. Hellooooo....you play to get to and win the Superbowl!

13. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Sit Gates, use Manumanaumanuala as an extra blocker to keep Rivers extra safe :tup:

Sit LT, he doesnt need to play

Sit Merriman, heal his foot

Air it out early, get a 2-3 touchdown lead and pull ALL starters.

Or just forfeit the game and sleep in.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Billy beat the Colts, remember?

15. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
  16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  17. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Sadly, Billy is better than the starters on some teams...but 51 guys on our roster fully believe that he can get the job done in the terrible case that PR is unable to go.

Whitehurst was not available for comment.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    this statement by one of the media cracked me up about the colts situation..

The negative reaction from Colts fans to the decision to throw a game in order to supposedly keep stars from getting injured hasn't fallen on deaf ears. Polian promises things will be different next year.

"Next year our plan is to throw the first game of the season so that this controversy doesn't arise again."

After the announcement, 31 NFL teams petitioned the NFL to play the Colts in the first game of the 2010 season.

19. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Kinda sticks in your head...doesn't it?

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We should play everyone long enough to get into and maintain the flow of our offensive scheme. For the better part of 3 quarters if need be, because the Redskins have a pretty damn decent defense and it'll be a good test.

I'd de-activate Merriman to get him 2 solid weeks of rest.

I'd also activate Buster Davis and throw him in the WR rotation. Its time for him to audition for his job next year.

21. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    He already passed his job audition--those locker room bathroom floors are so clean you can EAT off them. :tup: