1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' win streak, gaudy numbers push Rivers into MVP race

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 23, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Click here for the rest

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The race for the Most Valuable Player award has seemingly morphed into a two-horse race between Peyton Manning and Drew Brees, but when you poll league executives there is another quarterback worthy of inclusion.
    Philip Rivers has quietly enjoyed a sensational season directing the Chargers' aerial attack, and the scouting community can't stop singing his praises.

"He is a very underrated quarterback in this league," said an AFC personnel director. "Tough, competitive and productive. ... He has shown up when others haven't in big games."
    Rivers, who has guided the Chargers on a nine-game winning streak, has put up numbers that rival the aforementioned frontrunners for the award. The fifth-year pro is averaging 277.9 passing yards per game while completing 64.6 percent of his passes. His 102.8 passer rating ranks third in the league, and he has thrown the sixth-most touchdowns (25) in the league.
    While those gaudy numbers would satisfy the most ardent stat cruncher, it is Rivers' leadership and poise that have pushed him into contention.
    He has guided the Chargers to three game-winning drives in the fourth quarter this season and repeatedly shown a penchant for making clutch plays with the game on the line. Against the Bengals, Rivers continued that trend by connecting on three of four passes (not including a spike that killed the clock) during the team's final drive while moving the Chargers 46 yards in only 51 seconds without a timeout at his disposal.
    Rivers' superb play in crucial moments is part of the reason Norv Turner has increasingly allowed his young signal caller to be the driving force behind the offense. In the past, the Chargers relied on the mercurial talents of LaDainian Tomlinson to serve as the foundation of the team's attack. However, the team's running game has struggled this season (the Chargers rank 30th in rush offense), and the onus has fallen on Rivers to guide the team's one-dimensional attack.
    Rivers, who has three 300-yard games this season, has responded in outstanding fashion with more responsibility on his shoulders.
    Although the Chargers' scattershot running game has allowed defenses to drop extra defenders into coverage, Rivers has found a way to successfully push the ball down the field. Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd and Antonio Gates have repeatedly gotten past defenders on deep routes, and Rivers has been on point connecting with the trio on vertical throws.
    The Chargers' 57 completions of 20 yards or more ties them with the Colts and Saints as the league leaders, and the bevy of deep throws have keyed the team's current nine-game winning streak.
    With wins serving as the biggest barometer of a quarterback's success, Rivers has compiled a resume that warrants serious consideration as a MVP candidate. He is still unbeaten in the month of December for the fourth season in a row (17-game winning streak), and his remarkable ability to close out games under pressure has undoubtedly been one of the reasons the Chargers repeatedly enter the postseason as one of the league's hottest teams.
    Given the sizzling play of Rivers and the Chargers this season, voters should pause before automatically punching the names of Brees or Manning on their ballots.

Vote for Rivers MVP here is the link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815309dd&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I think I posted this already

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I think he deserves it but I prefer the SB MVP :yes:

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Mods

Please delete this thread it has already been posted...

Thanks JL

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Didn't mean to sound like I was giving you a hard time about it.

Mine didn't receive any responses and was buried past the first page so it's understandable that you didn't see it.

To be honest, I wasn't even sure if I posted it or not but it looked familiar and then I saw it linked at the bottom. :lol:

7. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Noone cares about MVP- including Rivers- he just wants to win and all everyone wants is a superbowl at this point. Although he does belong in discussion with Manning.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    He's been in the discussion the past two weeks now and that's enough to satisfy me on that front.

You're absolutely right, though. The Super Bowl is all that matters.

9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    10-4 all is good... :tup:

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    No man, we're 12-3. :icon_tease:

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

12. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I saw Chris Johnson being shown before the game talking about how this is "his MVP campaign" and talking to the ref saying how he should be considered. I thought, what a tool, your team is at .500(about to lose and get knocked out of playoff contention). You should care about one thing and one thing only, winning games. If you do that, the stats come along with it. Made me even more pumped that this team is just that, a team. These guys want to win and don't worry about stats. Just look at LT he's having by far his lowest production in his career, yet he's having the most fun and is loving it. This is a really special team and I'm pumped to hopefully see them hoisting that trophy come February.