1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers won without 'A' game

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 28, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20051128-1534-fbn-chargerswin.html" target="_blank">Associated Press</a>

By Bernie Wilson

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers won't say they stole a victory when they beat the Washington Redskins in overtime on Sunday.

They might have gotten away with one, though, winning 23-17 after LaDainian Tomlinson raced 41 yards for a touchdown on the second play of overtime.

The Chargers (7-4), still trying to climb into one of the wild-card spots, went from dominating a week earlier in a blowout home victory over Buffalo to struggling at times in the fourth of five trips to the Eastern time zone this season.

The Chargers trailed 17-7 with 3:14 left in the third quarter before rallying with a 48-yard field goal by Nate Kaeding and a 32-yard TD run by Tomlinson to send it into OT. Kaeding had missed two earlier attempts, from 42 and 46 yards.

Tomlinson had another brilliant game, with 184 yards and three touchdowns on 25 carries. He did see his perfect passer rating disappear, though, when his pass to Drew Brees in the first quarter was deflected by linebacker Marcus Washington. Tomlinson had been 3-of-3 this year, all for touchdowns.

The Chargers won their fourth straight despite a bad game from Brees.

He was just 22-of-44 for 215 yards and no touchdowns, with three interceptions. His second interception came at the San Diego 31-yard line with just more than a minute left and the score tied at 17. The Chargers held, and John Hall missed a 52-yard field goal attempt.

His third interception was on a desperation pass into the end zone at the end of regulation.

A week earlier, Brees was 28-of-33 for 339 yards and a season-high four touchdowns.

Tight end Antonio Gates, playing a week after he sprained his right foot, had three catches for 39 yards, the biggest a 24-yarder on the first play of overtime.

"Me and Gates, we laughed in the weight room today because that wasn't our 'A' game," Brees said Monday. "Both of us admitted that to one another. Fact is, when you can go out and not be at the top of your game, or not have your 'A' game, and still find a way to win against a tough opponent on the road, in kind of a must-win situation for the both of you, that's saying a lot.

"I know I can go out there and play much better than I did yesterday. But to come out with a win is key."