1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers wrap first week

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Jul 31, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    <strong>July 31, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2212">Chargers.com</a>

Over a thousand fans spent their Sunday afternoon at Chargers Park taking in the lone practice of the day. The players were more talkative during warm-ups than usual after enjoying a few free hours in the morning to attend chapel or catch up on rest, and Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer was pleased with the team's first few days of training camp.

"The guys are obviously in good physical condition," said Schottenheimer. "We had really terrific work on Saturday morning with the Oklahoma Drill and then we were in shells in the afternoon. It was off a bit, but they had this morning off and came back this afternoon and worked in pads and had a very good day."

Brees started off the nine-on-seven drill with a series of handoffs to LaDainian Tomlinson before jogging over to put the wideouts through their paces. He found rookie Vincent Jackson deep in the endzone for a few crowd-pleasing snags, along with veteran receivers Keenan McCardell and Kassim Osgood.

Seven-on-seven proved to be eventful. Fullback Lorenzo Neal went horizontal to snag a Drew Brees pass on a busted play for a touchdown. Stephen Cooper answered for the defense when he jumped in front of Ruvell Martin on an out route and intercepted Philip Rivers.

The offensive line got riled up during the final redzone series when Brees found an unlikely receiver in the end zone─ 310-pound offensive guard Kris Dielman.

"I was just doing a little extra," Dielman said with a smile. "I hope it was the first of many. If we add it to the play package─ great. I just run the route and try to catch it."

Dielman, who played tight end at Indiana, may have found another spot on the field in the professional ranks, but Schottenheimer joked that his hands may prove to be an asset to the offensive scheme.

"We ran that play yesterday on the other field and he was wide open, but they didn't throw it to him," said Schottenheimer. "I thought Brees would throw it to him yesterday and he didn't, but he was determined to throw it to him today, and Kris made a terrific catch."

Donnie Edwards huddled up the linebacking corps during the last few plays of the afternoon and sang an inaudible ditty to his fellow defensemen. The crowd laughed, and the players ran out to the field to finish the series.

"I'm so tired I didn't know what he was saying," said linebacker Ben Leber. "He might have been so delusional and tired he didn't even know what he was singing. It was during the last part of practice and everyone was tired, so he was just trying to get us going."

The Chargers begin their second week of training camp at Chargers Park on Monday with practices at 8:30 a.m. and 3:55 p.m. Both workouts are open to fans.

Bolts to practice under the lights

The Chargers will hold their first evening practice of this year's training camp Tuesday night at 7 p.m. Practice will be preceded by a 6:30 p.m. autograph session which fans are encouraged to attend.

Chargers add two

The Chargers added Fresno State tight end Duncan Reid and running back Derek Farmer out of Stephen F. Austin University to the roster on Sunday.

Lewin stops by

Josh Lewin, the new play-by-play voice of the Chargers, made his first appearance at training camp on Sunday. Although the Texas Rangers are playing in Toronto, Lewin took a day off from his television gig to spend some time at Chargers Park.

"The Chargers have had a lot of success by bringing people in from Texas," Lewin said. "Guys like LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Brees, and Wade Phillips have done quite well here. I know I'm not the icon that they are, but I can only hope I'll do as well here as they have."

Lewin will be joined by Hank Bauer and Katy Temple this fall on the Bolts' new radio home, Rock 105.3.

Sunday's non-participants

Tight end Ryan Krause (foot), offensive tackle Courtney Van Buren (knee), wide receiver Reche Caldwell (hamstring), wide receiver Malcolm Floyd (calf), and defensive end Adell Duckett (knee) did not practice Sunday. Schottenheimer said that Van Buren is scheduled to get a second opinion on his knee on Monday.