1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Charlie Joiner: San Diego's Man Behind The Pass

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Jeremy Beckett

Again this year , the Chargers will go into another football season with a roster that boasts different starting wide receivers. Yet all the fans are expecting a well-balanced passing game. Including myself.
    Why am I not that worried? Two words. Charlie Joiner. Yeah, that guy. The same one that was catching passes for the Chargers 30 years ago. Same guy! He's the Chargers wide receiver coach.
    The man behind the scenes in San Diego's high potent pass attack, has been in the pass catching business since before the NFL merger of 1970.
    He is also the man who should be credited with a big part of the "Air Coryell" pass attack of the 80s, which innovated the passing game that has revolutionized pro football.
    Joiner has a Chargers jersey in the NFL Hall of Fame, and is the biggest contributor to Dan Fouts Hall of Fame nomination. His next goal will be getting Philip Rivers in the Hall of Fame as well. My guess is, his Chances are pretty good.
    Charlie Joiner was born in Mary, Louisiana on October 14, 1947. He played his college football at Grambling as a defensive back, before being drafted in 1969 (fourth round) by the Houston Oilers.
    The Oilers instantly turned him into a wide receiver, doubting his defensive back ability. Joiner was skinny at 5'11" and 180 pounds. The position change was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to Joiner.
    Joiner played several seasons for the Oilers and Bengals. He was traded to The Chargers in 1975, where he remained until retirement in 1986.

Joiner played 18 NFL seasons at wide receiver. He had 750 pass receptions, 12,146 yards, and 65 touchdowns. He is the Chargers leading receiver of all time.
    In his eleven seasons in San Diego, Joiner was a three time pro bowl selection, had 50 plus catches in seven seasons, and only missed one game for the Bolts.
    Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh described Joiner as the "Most intelligent, smartest, and most calculating receiver the game has ever seen." Coming from a guy who has won several Superbowls, and coached Jerry Rice and John Taylor, that's a hell of a compliment.
    Am I concerned that the Chargers top three pass catchers this season are an undrafted basketball player from Kent State, and undrafted wide out from Wyoming, and a fourth rounder from Boise? Nope, not a bit! We got Charlie Joiner calling the routes!
    As long as he is with the Chargers, you can expect unknowns from small schools to come in undrafted, and emerge as pro bowlers. Yes , he is that good.
    I fully suspect the careers of Legedu Naanee and Malcom Floyd to explode this season and by week ten when Jackson comes back, we will all have forgotten about him and only get stronger.
    No, there isn't something in the water, no they aren't drafting first round receivers every year. No their not just getting lucky.
    But what they do have is a guy who's been catching footballs well before anybody on the team was even born. Thanks for giving us fans hope when everybody is slamming the door in our face Charlie Joiner. The Chargers will be just fine!

For the record, Charlie Joiner made less money in his entire 18 NFL seasons than Vincent Jackson left on the table by not signing his one-year tender.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I guess that's one thing that Charlie Joiner didn't teach Vincent Jackson... :lol:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Charlie was the greatest of all time in my mind. He played in the era of mugging until the ball was in the air. Dude caught some balls that looked impossible, but he came down with them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    :tup::tup::tup:Certainly one of my all time favorites. Amazing player!

5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!:tup: