1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chat with Shaun Phillips today!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I sent in my question, I hope it is selected...

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    How about we get some real news and conversation in BT, Hell, I'm thinking of re-signing up with the other sites.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Go for it. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Conc! They totally asked your question :yes:

6. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I believe in you HEXED - Be the miracle! - Bring us some news! :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Shaun is doing a good job on NFL Network as well. His segment on what to expect with the three pass rushers on the team (Merriman, English, and Phillips) was very good. He sounds like an intelligent guy.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Just what I figured same old BS just a different day. Seeing how I'm on the East coast, I depend on y'all for news.

9. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Only a few more weeks until the fun begins! Probably nothing much coming up until we hit training camp tho to be honest. I'm happy to post twitter updates from the players if that will help stave off the boredom :lol: but most here don't see the point in twitter so....

Good thing about no news right now - it means our boys are staying out of trouble! :yes: me likey~

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    #
    NFL.com
    Hey everyone. Thanks for checking in today. We do have Shaun Phillips on deck for the next live chat. He's finishing taping a segment for Total Access right now, and will be ready to roll in a few minutes.
    #
    Shaun_phillips_08_hs_40x55
    Shaun Phillips, San Diego Chargers
    Hey everyone. I'm ready to go! Thanks for all the questions ... I'll try to get to as many as we can.
    #
    Kellen, Jacksonville, FL
    06:32 PM ET
    Shaun, big fan. What is your favorite team to play against and why?
    My favorite to play against is the Steelers. Just because of the tradition there, and because they would be the only other team I would play for.
    #
    Austin, Baltimore
    06:32 PM ET
    Do you think L.T. will return to his old form this year now that he is healthy?
    I def believe that LT will rturn to his old form. He's had a year to let that toe heal. I've seen him this offseason, and he looks exceptional to me.
    #
    Dusty, Branson, Missouri
    06:34 PM ET
    Where did the "bowling" sack dance come from? It's hilarious!
    It came from my grandmother. She was a big bowler who passed away. So I do it in rememberance of her. Our outside linebacker Stephen Cooper came up with the idea, so we stuck with it.
    #
    Brady, San Diego, CA
    06:36 PM ET
    With all the recent additions to the team, and with you and Merriman starting at OLB, how do you see Larry English fitting into the defense?
    Larry fits in because he compliments both of us, and allows to have another great pass rusher on the field, which will be hell for opposing QBs. We'll have to create packages where all three of us will be together on the field at the same time. We have to maximize getting our best players out there at the same time.
    #
    Gilles, Gent, Belgium
    06:37 PM ET
    Do you talk alot of trash? I saw you trash talking vs P. Manning the other day on NFL.com. Pretty funny stuff. Also, who is the biggest trash talker on offenses you've faced?
    Talkign trash is part of my game. Growing up in Philly and playing hoops, we always talked back at each other. So I brought that over to football. I talk fun. I don't downplay anyone.

The biggest trash talker on offense, I would have to say, is definitely Chad Ochocinco.
    #
    Famous323, Los Angeles
    06:40 PM ET
    Wats The Difference Between Last Years Chargers Team And This Years?
    The difference is our mentality as a whole. I believe an 8-8 year humbled us, and let us know that we can't take anything for granted.

So this year we're def more focused and mentality prepared, and ready to make another run at the title.
    #
    Robert, San Diego
    06:42 PM ET
    speaking of Ochocinco, what do you make of the comments he's made towards Merriman?
    He's signing his own death wish! LOL.
    #
    Nelda, SD
    06:42 PM ET
    What's your favorite stadium to play in? (other than the Q)
    I would have to say Settle, just because it's so loud. It's fun to be in that atmosphere. Or, Miami, they have the best cheerleaders.
    #
    Concudan, Sun City, CA
    06:43 PM ET
    Shaun, you rock! With the addition of English, has there been any talk of moving him or yourself to an inside position?
    Not that I know of, because it's not a natural position for either of us. Why would you take an 18-wheeler and put him a drag race? We will def create certain packages to allow us to all show off our individual strength.
    #
    Mark, Virginia
    06:45 PM ET
    What effect has the death of Steve McNair had on the NFL players?
    It just puts things into perspective. To be careful who you allow in your inner circle, and to really be a one-woman man.
    #
    Mary, San Diego
    06:46 PM ET
    Hi Shaun. Has Ron Rivera made a lot of changes to the defensive scheme? If so, how are the guys responding? Stay healthy!
    We didn't maek many changes to the scheme. We made changes to the defensive philosophy overall. Our mentaility to how we approach the game has changed -- it's our job to win the game, not the offense. Coach Rivera won that way back in the day. There should be no reason that if we don't finish in the top five defenses in the league, we can't take this team to a new level.
    #
    Mike Orr, Scotland
    06:49 PM ET
    favourite NFL PLayer of all time?
    Derrick Thomas!
    #
    Matthew, Baltimore
    06:49 PM ET
    Hey Shaun, Which team are you looking forward to facing most this season?
    That would be the Steelers in Week 4.
    #
    Edson, São Paulo, Brazil
    06:51 PM ET
    Which AFC West division rival are you expecting to improve the most in the upcoming season?
    I think the Raiders, just because they have the same coaching staff and the same players from last year, another year of experience, and they finished so strong.
    #
    Joe King, Honolulu, Hawaii
    06:53 PM ET
    Who's the strongest Charger in the weight room?
    That would be Jamal Williams, by far. He's impressive.
    #
    Matt, Baltimore
    06:55 PM ET
    Hey Shaun, even as a Ravens fan, the Chargers are one of my favorite teams to watch because the team is always exciting. From what you've seen through the offseason, what excites you about the Chargers?
    What excites me the most is our schedule next year. We have a bunch of good teams on the schedule, which will dictate how the season goes. It's always fun to face the best teams. I think we have one of the toughest schedules in the league.
    #
    frank, st.louis, MO
    06:57 PM ET
    i am youth football coach, what is the most important thing i can teach my run linebacker?
    Speed kils. And don't be afraid to get dirty, and be physical every single play.
    #
    Joe, San Marcos
    06:58 PM ET
    Who wins in the 40 yard dash, J-Wall or Rivers?
    J-Wall! Rivers is the slowest man on earth. LOL.
    #
    Randall, San Diego
    06:59 PM ET
    Shaun, do you have any doubts that you will win the division this year?
    You should never have doubts. We always have confidence in winning our division.
    #
    josh, san diego
    07:00 PM ET
    wich rookie has impressed you tyhe most?
    I would def still have to say Larry English. He's going to be a good player in this league someday. His work ethic sticks out to me, he's a very hard working guy. That's going to pay off in this league.
    #
    Ruben, Phx
    07:01 PM ET
    whats ur favorite basketball team.
    I'm a Lakers fan!
    #
    John , Ontario Canada
    07:02 PM ET
    What have you been doing in the offseason to make yourself a better player this year?
    For me, what I've been doing this offseason is critiquing my own game and breaking down every aspect of my game, and re-working it, so that I can go back and be better this season. Also improving my technique, like staying low off the ball so I'll have the offensive linemen at my mercy.
    #
    Ismael Rodriguez, Oaxaca, Mexico
    07:05 PM ET
    I know trash talking is fun and part of the sport. Especially when Rivers and you did it to Cutler. Now that Cutler is gone, who are we gonna pick on? Any advice for Cutler? Grow up kid? Trash talking for dummies? Give this poor kid some advice... Have an awesome year Shaun, you deserve it.
    I'm looking forward to destroying Kyle Orton, because he was my college teammate at Purdue. Any time you get a chance to hit someone you didn't get to hit in college, you take advantage of it.

My advice to Cutler is to keep ballin. He's an awsome player.
    #
    greg, Reno, NV
    07:07 PM ET
    how does the return of "Lights Out" merriman affect your style of play on the field?? thanks
    It doesn't affect my style, but it impacts me because we get his leadership and tenacity back on the field, which allows me to feed of his energy.
    #
    Cam, San Diego
    07:09 PM ET
    When your career is over, would you rather be a HOFer or have a Superbowl Ring?
    Have a Super Bowl ring, of course.
    #
    Sara, San Diego
    07:10 PM ET
    What is your favorite thing about working with Ron Rivera now that he's the DC?
    My favorite thing about coach Rivera is that he believes the best players should play. Whatever your speciality is, he knows how to bring it out of you as an individual and put you in positions to succeed.
    #
    BAiley, Washington, DC
    07:11 PM ET
    Who's the toughest o-lineman you've played against?
    That would be Walter Jones. He's a heck of a player.
    #
    Sean, Jersey Shore
    07:13 PM ET
    Of all the close loses the Chargers experienced last season, which was the most heart wrenching and difficult?
    The most difficult loss was the AFC Championship game, because we were just one game away from the Super Bowl in a game we could have won. We just didn't come play like we were supposed to play for all four quarters.
    #
    Hey everyone, enjoyed the chat today, thanks for stopping in and sending your questions.

Be sure to follow me on Twitter @shaunphillips95, and also check out my charity at www.afterschoolallstars.com to see the ways you can be involved to help underpriveledged children in after school programs.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I admire his self control. Personally I'd have slaughtered Ted Cottrell for what he did to this defense. By far the stupidest MoFo since Ryan Leaf to step foot in San Diego, that guy had no business coaching in the NFL, and he's going to fail in the UFL too.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Conc rawks!!!! :icon_banana:

No doubt. Perhaps the dumbest move that AJ has ever made. Loyalty is a nice trait, but it nearly sank us last year.

I really believe that we're going to see an entirely different attitude on the defensive side of the ball this year with RR at the helm. :abq1:

13. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    They answered my question too! Yay! BT represent~ :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    he was on NFL network today and pretty good there too.

I still think "The Other Guy" is a pretty cool nickname:lol:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree. I think it might have bothered him a couple of years ago, but after seeing what happens when Merriman isn't on the team, I don't think Phillips cares much about "the other guy" moniker:lol:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Tx for posting the transcript Conc, saved me so much time havin to go look for it!!!.

I wonder though.... if u follow 'the other guy' and Shawne on twitter, they seem a little immature imho. In Ireland we'd call them messers. Shawne needs a massive year to have any chance of stayin in SD if u ask me.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Thanks Conc, much appreciated. Like Buck I believe we will see an attacking style D that doesn't let up. Four Qtr's men, play them all.

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I have to remind myself that they're young sometimes... well Phillips is my age but Merriman is the same age as my little bro :icon_eek:

So, for being mid-20's, rich, famous and pro athletes (hello ego) at least they're not as obnoxious as OchoCinco :lol:

Both need big seasons I think but def Shawne - going to be hard with so much hype about his return and the impact his absence had in 08.

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yep, no doubt about it they are still young but Merriman seems so into the 'self-publicity' and stuff. U can 'love yourself' but quit telling me about it. I know you'll tell me to block him on twitter but at this time of yr any news Chargers related is good.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Ireland, but I think Dublin had the most immature 20 somethings of any place I've ever been.