1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chiefs and the new frontier

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RMANCIL, Oct 31, 2008.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry Johnson has been suspended for this game and as a result we should see Jamaal Charles Running back Texas who was drafted in the 3rd round just a few selections after the Bolts traded up to land Jacob Hester. He most likely will share the load with Kolby Smith who is penciled in as the starter due to his improved blocking skills .

Charles has real break away speed and was thought by many to have 1st round talents including yours truly. Tyler Thigpen will be the starting QB by default so on the surface the Bolts will have a huge advantage which is often a problem for them as they tend to play down to the competition.

The Bolts basically need to win out in order to secure a playoff birth.

I read where Rivera is spending time watching film from the wade Phillips era. I respect a man who does his research I think were going to like what we see from him.

The KC game will be huge , I know everyone has us as big favorites but talk is cheap. This club must demonstrate on a weekly bases that in fact it is a elite club and until they do their not.

On Defense.

I think we will see more line stunts , DB blitz with DL dropping into coverage and in general defensive looks that creates some confusion for the offense as to just who is rushing. Look for some OL to be blocking nobody.

It is my belief that in large part that is the advantage of the 3-4 over the 4-3 .

I also think that will create a extra 1/10 of a sec of recognition delay on offense that will help the defense create pressure and the results will be some sacks and turnovers. ( I wanted to say more but we have not had any in so long it was inappropriate to post that.)

The Chiefs will be playing a green QB next week so it will be a great time to see some results from that style of defense. Success does build success and this defense needs to regain some swagger, some self respect .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If we don't murder the Chiefs I'm gonna be very disappointed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    If we don't beat the chiefs, we don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IGOR RULES

IGOR RULES BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Beating the Chiefs is the one step in direction of winning the AFC West. This is a task the Chargers are able to perform without any other help: I mean that we have to win out the division 2x Chiefs, and 1x each the Raiders and Broncos at home.

Then we have a realistic chance to be first in our division and so ensure at least ONE home game in the playoffs (10-6 or 9-7 record).

Should the changes in defense, general attitude of the team, and in reversing the bad into good (playing time, turnovers, interceptions ratio, sacks, etc.) turn out in our favour then we have also a chance to win out all of the last 8 games (Steelers, Colts, Falcons, Bucs in addtion to the AFC opponents), which should guarantee a 11-5 record AND first round bye.

I believe.:tup:

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    If we don't beat a rebuilding team with multiple starters down.... :scream:

• Like Like x 1
  6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We haven't had a shut out since the first game of '06, I think we're due. :yes:

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Charles has talent and speed but he fumbles too much and he isnt very bright.

The Bolts basically need to win out in order to secure a playoff birth.

I like it too but hopefully he doesnt play soft like Wade did near the end of games where he went into ***** mode like Ted did and he also played the CB's way off the WR's. Most seem to forget that while Wade did bring heat, he also played soft in the backend too.

The KC game will be huge , I know everyone has us as big favorites but talk is cheap. This club must demonstrate on a weekly bases that in fact it is a elite club and until they do their not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    This makes me very happy...

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I just want wins!!!

To be more specific 8 (regular season) wins in a row!!!

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont worry, we dont win, we wont make the playoffs.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BoltinPortugal

BoltinPortugal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I can't see this game not being a blowout.

After the bye, no LJ, people getting healthy, chiefs sucking, defense wanting to prove they can get it done with Rivera, certainly we'll win this game by at least 3 TD, quite possibly more.

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I want the team playing up to their potential. All wins will do is get us to the first game of the playoffs.

14. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    We need to win, but we do need to win with no problems. We don't have to blow them out, but KC should not be in the game and we should be winning going away. The D needs to have a solid game that shows they relearned the fundementals of football, lilke tackleing and such. I would like to see a solid, mostly mistake free game by the D even with with fairly vanilla play caling. I am not worried about the O or ST too much, they should be fine.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If we play up to potential we'll bring home the Lombardi.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    It's all about who gets hot in the playoffs. Just get there, knock some heads and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    It will be interesting to see if Steve Gregory gets some more PT . He seems to play well when ever he gets the opportunity. Dewayne Bowe is a stud and will command some double teams. His physical play will over match most CB with perhaps the exception of Jammer who looks like he maybe is nursing a sore hamstring .

Jamaal Charles is a RB who has game breaking speed the safety's can't be taking poor angles on him. He is also very good in space poor tacking will result in 6 points.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm feeling pretty confident that Rivera will breathe new life into this D. Cottrell lost these guys. You just can't make me believe that the lack of intensity & enthusiasm wasn't largely due to the players' dislike of him as a coach & his style of defense. These guys need to be led by an aggressive coach in an attacking style. That's what I think we'll get from Rivera. He's watching tape of Wade's defenses to learn both what to do AND what NOT to do.

We'll beat KC by a significant margin, IMO. It can be 1 point or 50. Just get the win & get on a roll. Worry about the post season if we get there. For now, we need to focus on getting back to where we should have started.

19. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    One more week Bucky! I bet you're already packed and waiting for the plane to take off huh? Let me know if there's anything else you need. Can't wait to meet you and the Mrs. next week.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm coming down for this game, so if we don't win... I won't watch another Charger game all season. Because the season would essentially be OVER.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Excited is an understatement. :lol:

Tell your hubby to check his pm's here. I left him a question about donations for the 'gater.

See ya soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :abq2: :abq1:

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    That's it: Winning in the playoffs. Doesn't matter how the team came into it.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If The Bolt's peak at the right time "NOW" then we can sneak up on the Lombardi, we're all but counted out right now. :tup:

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We always seem to struggle with the Chiefs, Rivers especially. Hopefully the absence of Allen will help him and McNeil out. Tony G always kills us, so it would be best if we just didn't give Pigpen time to throw the ball.

25. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    I think the Chiefs are in for a colossal beat-down the likes of which will have them reeling for weeks.

26. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

That's what my heart is telling me too:tup: Rivera will turn our D around.

27. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    yeah but that was at oakland on MNF!
    How much fun was that!:icon_toast: