1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chiefs RB Charles Wants to Compare Himself to LT, Sproles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Kansas City Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles talked with the media this week. The Chiefs are 2-0 since Charles officially became the team's No. 1 running back. In two games, he has gone over 100 yards once and returned a kickoff for a touchdown.
    Charles says he's definitely taking notice of backs like the two the Chiefs are preparing to play this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    "Looking at [Darren] Sproles and LaDainian [Tomlinson], they're two great running backs for the Chargers," Charles says via a Kansas City Star video. "I try to compare my game to them also and look at them run sometimes. I know when LaDainian was young he used to move around quicker and faster. That's what I wanted to be like was LaDainian catching the ball outta the backfield and helping this team win.
    "And Sproles, he's an explosive back, too, and he does the same thing helping out the Chargers."
    Charles says he will use that as motivation to put in a good performance on Sunday.
    "I know when Sunday comes I'm going to compete with them," he said. "If they have a good play, I want to go out there and have a good play, too."
    Charles also responded to questions asking how he feels when people say he's not an every down back.
    "It's not about how big you are, It's not how fast you are, it's not how quick you move and who you can run over. It's all about will and heart. And if you have heart you can do anything you put your mind to.
    "I just go out there and try to run," he said. "People are going to take me light and try to bully me and knock me down. Sometimes I go down, and sometimes I stay up. If I'm running full speed it's hard to bring me down. With my speed coming behind me, it's like I weigh 220 pounds so it's hard to bring me down when I'm running full speed."
    Charles is about 200 pounds.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I was shocked this guy fell as far as he did in the draft. He couldn't hold LT's jock, but still...

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I just read his profile in Johnny's link, and he sounds like an inferior Knowshon Moreno. We will see what the kid can do on Saturday.

4. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Charles fell in the draft because he was a track guy and didn't lift many weights because of it. This has lead to strength issues a little last year He was arm tackled often and had fumbling problems.

He put on about 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason and is bouncing off tacklers more and is protecting the ball better.

His work with Haley on running routes and other things involved with splitting him out wide have made huge differences in his play.

The stronger he gets and the more up to speed he gets in what is expected of him, the more his star will shine. The kid will be very very special in this league in time.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like Charles, but he'll need to put together a little larger body of work before I start measuring him for his HOF jacket.

6. BossChief

BossChief BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    fully agree. I like what I have seen from him so far though.

Im just glad we took him and he didnt fall to Denver a few picks later. That would have sucked.