1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chiefs release Brandon Flowers.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Jun 13, 2014.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
  3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Lol but we also both know we won't. Haha;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Verrett would need a pretty pessimistic prognosis for this to be viable. Wright is a starting CB. Gilchrist is a plus slot defender. And Flowers will not accept a depth role (nor should he given his recent history).

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Lets get him before someone else does... yada... yada... yada....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Flowers has made 3 pro bowls playing on the perimeter, I'm not sure Wright or Gilchrist even factor in to a decision like that. And Verrett is a rookie, at a tough position for young players. I remember how much trouble VJ had with Flowers in the past, the guy is a legit #1.

And I'd feel better with Wright not matching up against #1 receivers myself.

Flowers
    Wright
    Verrett
    Williams
    Marshall/Ghee/Gilchrist

I like that group a lot more. JMO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    If Flowers could be had for a reasonable 1 year deal or an incentive-laden 2 year deal, I'd like to see the Bolts spin the wheel.

Wonder who would have to go?

Anyone?

9. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    Realistically, I do not think signing Flowers fits into what Telesco hopes to achieve at this juncture; his vision seems to be tailoring the roster to be at its optimum in a couple of years, when Denver will be (likely) feeling the pains of going all-in with a 38-year old Peyton Manning, a bevy of players with character issues/suspensions, and other older mercenaries taking one year deals just because they want the best chance to "win now".

Flowers is a player for a team that wants to "win now"; if we do take a chance on him, it may stifle the development of someone like Wright, who can be a starting CB for years to come. And saddle us with a player in his 30s and a big cap number when the rest of the roster is ready to compete at the highest level.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Well first of all I think it's a ridiculous notion that we should pull back our efforts to win a SB just because of what Denver is doing. What you're suggesting is that they are somehow unbeatable, and that we just surrender the division to them this year and possibly longer because they pulled a Washington Redskins and won the month of March.:cautious:

Other than the questions we have on defense I would argue we are in "win now" mode. We have the QB, we have plenty of receiving talent, we have the running game and the O-line for the most part. It's the front 3 of the defense, and the CB situation that are the huge remaining questions.

Shareece Wright is in a contract year, and 3 years into his career he hasn't done anything of note other than earn some high praise in practice. 2013 was mostly mediocre to bad for him. Do we pass on a proven Pro Bowl commodity for the sake of Wright's peace of mind?

You're probably right, we'll likely pass on Flowers (only 28, not 30 yet), I think this FO seems gun shy after Derek Cox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Pass.......too expensive, and too often injured. We have several small CBs that come at a much lower price tag.

12. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    I know Flowers is 28, but I was projecting a couple of years out. When Telesco builds a team in this manner (IMO, the "right way"), it is a team with the future in mind...I really hope the Bolts continue to give the Donks fits, but they are a team that is in super win-now mode, to the extent that their future is actually being mortgaged by some of their decisions.

I am not saying Flowers is not better than Wright right now: he is most definitely. But in a contract year, would we really want Wright to be in a reduced role and unhappy with his playing time when he is younger and has the potential to be a starting CB for years? Especially when Flowers will likely cost a ton of money and likely has only a year or two of Pro Bowl form left? (unless he defies age)

I am not suggesting we pull back our SB efforts, but we should not sacrifice any future cap space or talent to try to win one next season, especially when Denver has already pulled out all of the stops to do just that.

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    My guess is the Texans are a likely landing spot. With the pass rush they are about to have Flowers would be a nice fit there.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Wright will likely start no matter what, he'll just be on the #2 receiver where he belongs. And while I agree he has starting potential (he hasn't played like a starter yet) long term, I have a hard time seeing him ever being Brandon Flowers.

I know you (and everyone else) wants to save cap space, but ask yourself why. So we can splurge next March? Do you actually think we're going make a big splash signing next offseason that is more valuable than a proven top 5-7 (IMHO) CB in the prime years of his career? Or will it always be the excuse "we have to re-sign so and so" and "remember Derek Cox"? I see a deep playoff run being very realistic right now, and making a move like this doesn't make next year forfeit either.

We'll see what Flowers fetches on the market, but I doubt it's going to be much more in year 1 than Clary is getting now. Given the time of year and the teams with cap space, I think he'll come at a better bargain than people think, and more importantly it will be a contract the team can get out of if he does go Derek Cox.

15. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    If he ends up being a bargain for 1 year, then I would gladly take him, but this is a top-flight CB with no injury concerns, character issues, or reasons why he should not get paid like the player he is. But after drafting a CB in R1 and having another potential starter in a contract year, any longer of a term would probably allow me to question why we would squander a top pick on a CB at all if we chose to ignore players like Verner et al in FA.

I just do not want another Robert Meachem situation where we sign a player who should be in his prime to big money who has put up above average numbers just to be saddled with a big contract and eventual cap hit, something that would prove debilitating to future plans.

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    After hearing about his release the question I asked myself was... Hmm, would I rather have Clary or Brandon Flowers? .. I think we all know the answer to that one. Probably wishful thinking but isnt that what this forum is all about haha

17. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    I think my order of preference goes something like:

Depth flexibility > Flowers >>>>>> Clary

• Like Like x 1
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I know what you mean, but Robert Meachem (like Cox, Gaither, Royal, Johnson etc...) was never a Pro Bowl talent, Meachem in particular was never even a starter before we signed him. :confused:

As far as future cap hits you have to consider the guys who are going to be leaving soon like Gates, Hardwick, Floyd, Royal, Clary, Johnson, Freeney...all these guys are likely gone in the next year or two, plus the dead money we're still paying Meachem, Gaither, and Cox this year....that will open a FLOOD of cap space. Also remember the cap is (rumored) to be increasing by at least $5M every year.

The big name guys we absolutely have to re-sign/extend IMO in 2015 and 2016....Rivers, Liuget, and maybe Weddle if his play doesn't start declining when he reaches 30. That's about it. Other key players include Dunlap, Reyes, Mathews (unlikely), Woodhead, Wright, Royal, Ingram, and Rinehart...but nothing we've seen so far suggests any of these guys are break the bank level players. Hopefully Ingram becomes one, that would mean great things.

Point is, and I've said this to LBC before, we have more future cap room and flexibility than anyone realizes because so many team leaders are going to be leaving very soon (A fact which also cripples the wait till next year approach). I don't think taking an 7-10 million cap hit for Flowers over the next 3-4 years (keeping in mind not all money is guaranteed) is as debilitating as everyone thinks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    That is exactly what this forum is for! :abq2:

If Clary doesn't win the starting job and ends up getting cut at the end of camp, and we enter the season with a good chunk of unused cap space we're all going to be wondering....if only...:whistling:

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Now that we actually have someone to spend the cap space on I'm all for cutting Clary if we can make the 2nd half of the equation happen.

(This is in response to my previous stance of not caring if we're "overpaying" a backup)

21. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    I agree with most of this, except Dunlap will cost more than you think if he proves that he can stay healthy and play like a solid NFL LT. But the eventual losses of our older vets have already been felt on the field and the team has persevered; injuries ravaged the entire crop of them except Johnson, Hardwick last year, and Clary (who is a bottom rung OG, anyway).

I just think we have to see what we have in Wright and Verrett before we commit big money to a CB. I was perfectly fine with the notion of signing a Verner this offseason and drafting another position of need...but we chose to go in another direction. Understandable after seeing Cox do his best impression of burnt toast.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +171
    Go after Flowers now.... so what if he's 28? Why wait to try and win a Super Bowl? Don't put that goal on hold? Philip Rivers isn't getting any younger. If we wait for Manning to retire and the Broncos to implode will Rivers still have anything in the tank? Let alone Gates ?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Did I forget '"hashtag" sarcasm' again?

24. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    No, I was agreeing with you for once..... I know it may come as a shock. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    damn! When are you going to start agreeing with me? Haha!

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Seems like there's more to this Flowers story. He was staying way from voluntary OTAs. I think he was looking to get paid. Somebody is probably going to throw a ridiculous amount of cash at him.

27. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +234
    Well there's no chance the chargers sign him. We prefer our free agents to be lazy or injured.

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +87
    This is the assumption I made from the start. I know, I am a real optimist.

29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Too little, too late... No pun intended. A guy decides that he won't fall into line with the rest of the team and wants more money to keep playing at a pro bowl type of level or else???... It's not like he is making himself out to be the savior of his team. Flowers will be pushing up daisies in this league soon enough.