1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chiefs trade for Alex Smith

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Still a rumor at this point....

Report: 49ers set to deal Alex Smith
    Updated Feb 25, 2013 1:09 AM

Colin Kaepernick‘s ascension in San Francisco has put Alex Smith out of a job.

It was widely speculated that the 49ers would either trade Smith, who was leading the NFL in completion percentage when he went down with a concussion in Week 10, or grant him his release this offseason.

The Niners are reportedly “highly, highly unlikely” to release the veteran quarterback, but it appears that a deal for Smith is all but done.

Jason La Canfora of CBSsports.com reported Sunday that a trade for Smith is “effectively complete,” but cannot be finalized until the league year officially begins on March 12.

The 49ers’ trading partner remains uncertain, but NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport names the Kansas City Chiefs as the team most likely to acquire Smith’s services. The Chiefs are one of several NFL teams desperately seeking an upgrade at quarterback after Matt Cassel flamed out last season, and the upcoming draft is lacking in elite talent behind center.

Rapoport suggested that Kansas City likely will add Smith in addition to drafting a “developmental” quarterback in the later rounds. Acquiring a free-agent signal caller would allow the Chiefs to address other needs with the No. 1 overall pick, which could be Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Until someone more reliable than Peaches is reporting it, I'll reserve judgment. But while people will bemoan this because it seemingly puts Joeckel in the Chiefs' cross-hairs (this time of year, it shouldn't be a surprise they're "saying they're high on him" - saying that gives them leverage in their negotiations with Brandon Albert), but the Chiefs passing on the opportunity to get a franchise QB for average Alex Smith? That's the kind of move that sets a franchise back 3-4 years - unless they mortgage the future and make a Washington type trade next year (sacrificing multiple 1st's and 2nd's) to trade into the Top 5 for a QB prospect. Alex Smith is just good enough to keep them out of the Top 10 year after year, but hardly anywhere close to a guarantee to get them into the 20's (which is where the playoff teams draft); and he's also a terrible fit for Andy Reid's brand of West Coast Offense (as contrary to what some people think, there are as many different WCO's in the league as there are different varieties of 3-4 defenses).

This honestly sounds like, and there's already been other reports speculating that's the case, that the Niners were the ones to release that a "deal was imminent" as a way of trying to drum up more interest in Smith - even though Jacksonville and Cleveland have both come out and said as much that they aren't interested (and weren't the ones involved in the trade).

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Is it Liar's Month already? ;)

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    At this point it's just better to refer to it like the European's do the summer transfer window for their brand of football: "Silly Season". Liar's month is pretty much "Liar's Quarter".

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't get this move. I really don't see Smith as being any better than Cassell. And to give up draft picks for a guy that is just as average playing QB, is just a waste

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I wouldn't say he's average. I would say he's had an average career, but the last 2 years, Harbaugh has developed him into a very smart quarterback. He was playing lights out this year, until he got hurt. He still took the 49ers to the NFC Championship game 2 years ago.

Now, the knack on Smith is he much rather throw a check down pass, scramble or throw it out of bounds than go for the over top big play.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    To compare him to Cassel is an insult....... Smith has played well recently (and wasn't bad in 1st year under Norv).

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    He's better than Cassel, but only enough to matter in a way that's not good for the Chiefs. Cassel has at least shown to be crappy enough to earn them the #1 overall pick, which is (yes, even in a year like this where the crop isn't as sexy as past years) a one-way ticket to a franchise QB. Alex Smith is likely able to do enough against bad teams to keep the Chiefs picking in that 11-15 range such that they're either praying that the table-scraps QB prospect falls to them in a given draft class or they have to trade multiple picks (and possibly multiple years' premium draft picks) to move up into the area where you can comfortably expect to be able to land one of the Top 2-3 QB prospects in a class (Top 6). Meanwhile, they're quite possibly about to waste the primes of Jamaal Charles, Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers, and possibly Eric Berry and Justin Houston (depending on how long it takes them to get a Top 5 pick again or pull the trigger on trading for one, unless they get extraordinarily lucky - or Smith gets injured for a season) because they don't want to "take the risk" of using the first overall pick on a player not worth it (in a year when no player is truly worth the #1 overall), so they can spend it instead on a player who in most other year's wouldn't crack the Top 5 (as it the case with just about all the guys who will go in the Top 5 this year).

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Alex Smith is afraid to throw deep balls. And mind you, this was a guy who was hedged by one of the most efficient rushing attacks the past two years, and has had the best deep option TE in the league at his disposal his entire career, and this past season one of the best all-time deep threats in the history of the league.

Despite the foolhardy optimism of Chiefs fans, Andy Reid is not a coach that changes his spots; Andy doesn't "adapt his scheme to tailor to his players" for more than a game or two out of a season. If that were the case then one of the most versatile RB's in the league, LeSean McCoy, wouldn't have been ignored and criminally limited in touches like the redheaded stepchild, while a rookie QB (and before him a QB with a history of poor accuracy) playing behind a porous OL was left to throw the ball 40+ times per game. Alex Smith throwing the ball 40+ times per game isn't going to get the Chiefs much of anywhere - again, because he's a smart QB who doesn't fancy throwing deep often, so the Chiefs will be functioning largely off check-downs, needing to get massive YAC to be productive, and seeing a fair amount of those 40 passes thrown away. That's not a formula for winning football games unless your defense goes HAM.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Anything that keeps the Chiefs floundering is OK by me...... I was glad when they jumped to hire Andy Reid. :tup:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that we're looking at one of two scenarios. They will either take Smith, or they won't. If they take Smith, it's good for us. If they take anyone else, it's bad. Whether they draft Joeckel, Werner, Warmack, it doesn't matter, because that increases the likelihood that the top three LTs (all of whom are worthy at 11) could be gone by the time we select.

I also don't think that trading for Smith (unless they trade their second for him), necessarily precludes them from drafting Geno in the 1st. I'm waiting to see how FA breaks down before I start cutting myself worrying about who is going to go where when.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He may be better, but not much better. Cassel showed in 2010 that he could be OK also. Both guys can be OK in the right situation and both can suck a big one when everything isn't lined up just right for them

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am a little tossed up on it. If they don't trade for a QB, there is a possibility that they go after Geno Smith, meaning another LT drops down the draft. If they do trade for Smith, they will continue to flounder with a QB that is far from good and will have wasted a draft pick that could be used to fill a needed spot.

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Report: 49ers have agreed to send Alex Smith to KC

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 27, 2013, 11:59 AM EST

Reuters
    With nearly two weeks before it can be done, the Alex Smith deal is apparently done.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, the 49ers “have completed a trade with the Chiefs” for quarterback Alex Smith.

Glazer notes the lime lag before it can be official, but said the Chiefs “really made a commitment to Smith.”

The fascinating part will be the compensation, as the 49ers don’t particularly need more draft picks this year (they have 14). But picks in future years would allow them to further stockpile ammunition, while getting a big salary cap number for a backup off the books.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    It's a 2nd round pick (which is more or less a 1st round pick) and a future mid-round pick. Same ol' Chiefs. Same ol' Lamar Hunt. Maybe they'll finally get a legitimate franchise QB some time in the next decade.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    They basically traded a 2nd + a 3rd next year. And you gotta figure they'll draft another Brodie Croyle type prospect in the 3rd, so we're talking about a lot of wasted picks. Plus the fact that they'll probably have to give him an extension of some sort.

Love this trade. :p

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    So long as this keeps them in a position to where they'd have to absolutely mortgage their future (i.e. a 2015/16 1st, a 2015/16 2nd, a 2015/16 4th, and a 2016/17 1st) to land Kevin Hogan (who looks to be the next QB prospect with actual potential for "greatness" in him - yes, I know Rivers' brother, but he actually has to get on the field first!), then this has me overjoyed.

People will gripe that - this just means we have one less OT to pick from - blah blah blah. Until they actually let Brandon Albert walk, nothing is certain - not to mention they'd be making a lateral move. But this just - quite literally made the Raiders more of a Super Bowl threat for the next 3 or so years than the Chiefs, if only off of potential to still improve enough. Think about that... that Raiders.

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I disagree with this point of view too, I think it means Arizona now has a full gone erection at the opportunity to land Geno. It increases the chances that we get Fisher or Johnson exponentially....or at least a little bit.;)

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Assuming the Raiders don't grab him first

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I doubt they'll go for Geno. They said there not looking for a new QB, they've liked Pryor's progression so far, and think he is coming along real nice, and they're gonna restructure Palmer as well. I actually think Pryor has a real good chance of starting this year.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Alex Smith/Matt Cassel

Seasons: 8 / 8

Yardage: 14,280/13,495
    Completion %: 59.3/58.9

YPA: 6.6/6.6

Touchdowns: 81/82

Interceptions: 63/57
    Sacks: 196/160

Rushing yards: 761/856

Rushing TDs: 4 / 4

Fumbles: 45/42

Fumbles lost: 19/18

3000+ yard seasons: 1 / 2

300+ yard games last 4 seasons: 3 / 4

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    But wow, this just opened trade talk between NYJ and San Francisco for Darrelle Revis that's for sure. San Francisco has 15 picks in this draft, that is crazy. I think Revis will probably cost SF their 31st, and acquired 34th from Kansas City, not to mention a few later round picks. Man, NYJ would be stupid not to do the trade.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Compare their last 2 years, Smith certainly has Cassel beat. If Andy Reid isn't an idiot in Kansas City, ex. completely neglecting Jamaal Charles like he did to LeSean McCoy, then their going to be a pretty good team. Smith is gonna have Dwayne Bowe to throw to, I don't think he's ever had a player of Bowe's statue before, besides Crabtree who just came into his own this past year, mostly with Kaepernick.

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Geno isn't good enough, and Palmer isn't bad enough for them to spend that high of a pick in what is a terribly weak QB draft at the top.

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633

Lol, I'd be very surprised to see Oakland go QB at #3.

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    The Chiefs haven't won a game with a QB they drafted since Todd Blackledge in 1983.

They love their unwanted 2nd stringers.

31. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    I jus heard the sickest suggestion today: Cassel to backup Rivers? Dont know what talking head said that on nflN, but that is beyond stupid.

Ok back to the topic.

KC fans are beside theirselves with confusion and frustration at the news that they got the wrong Smith. AND they paid out the *** for him, so you know hes gonna get more of a chance to win the job than Flynn did to Russell. Granted Flynn didnt help himself by producing better. AND now Oak is stiring the trade up pot with threats that they will take Geno. Some strange happenings in the AFC W.