1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chill out on the Norv for 3 seconds, lets talk about Rivers ****** play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by P88F, Oct 1, 2007.

1. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    This dude Rivers needs to sit the bench right now! We should throw in Volek for a game just like the Cards did with Warner and Matt L. Matt L was sucking big time and then they threw in Kurt Warner and the old geiser is ripping it up. THe next game they put Matt in and he is ripping it up too. Maybe we should try something like that. I just came around to watching ESPN and I have no idea how in the **** Rivers did not see LT in the last quarter he was wide open, but no he takes a sack! Pinche Madre! Easy TD!

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I'm not ready to give up on Rivers.
    But he has 2 major problems.
    1. He's not seeing open recievers.
    2. He's not seeing the blitz.

3. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    As far as the blitzing goes, I think we either are not picking it up or the coaches aren't planning well enough for it. Olivea is a turnstyle, a la McIntosh and Leander Jordon. But Rivers is also taking too long to get that ball out. I think that maybe we need a better plan for dumping the ball off besides throwing it to Neal for a one yard gain.

We finally saw Sproles for the first time on sunday during a regular series of downs. I think he caught a pass and made a big gain on his first touch. Hmmmm..... maybe we ought to be throwing more of that sort of thing at them. LT going on 15-20 yard pass routes? Haven't seen one, although every time we do it, it goes for a long TD. Does anyone really expect Neal to run the ball for any serious yardage? Right. So why not put turner in there more often with LT? The deception and mis-direction that it would cause could be enough to spring either one of them on a big run. There is NO deception to our offense plays. This year, I've even noticed Rivers doing that big, exaggerated hand off motion to LT. WTF? Why not try to hide the handoff on every play so once in a while Rivers could keep it and roll around to the outside and fire downfield?

Norv is proving himself to be neither a good head coach or offensive play caller. Hell, get Coryell back here to be OC. Give him a wheel chair and oxygen tank and roll him out there.

When I watched NE tonight on MNF, they just methodically march down the field. (I also won $660, so thanks, Pats....).

anyway, Rivers' problems are some of his own making and some of the crap coaching schemes we're seeing. Third and three and Norv calls a deep pass to the sideline? What about all those quick slants that every team is killing us with? I'm doubting whether any of our coaches are doing their job this year. Oline sucks. QB sucks. DBs suck. LBs suck. God, I never thought I'd say this, but our special teams are the bright spot. And even then, Scifres hasn't been dead on accurate like in the past. But Tweety kicked a few into the endzone on sunday, plus nailed the 51 yarder. Nate is MVP so far.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't know about sitting Rivers. Somethings tell me it might wreck his already shaky psyche.

We need to go back to basics with the offense. Run LT. Throw short passes. Keep it simple until his confidence returns.

He's playing scared.

5. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Two things on that...

first of all, Rivers was going for six, he was trying to draw Law up with LT as a decoy.

second, I can think of two times that Rivers has thrown to LT where LT has not been looking for it...once the ball bounced off LT's facemask, the other time the ball was intercepted.

There is something missing between Rivers and LT right now, they are not clicking. I'm not saying that it's a deliberate thing, but it's like thay are not on the same page or something...

6. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Two things on that...

first of all, Rivers was going for six, he was trying to draw Law up with LT as a decoy.

second, I can think of two times that Rivers has thrown to LT where LT has not been looking for it...once the ball bounced off LT's facemask, the other time the ball was intercepted.

There is something missing between Rivers and LT right now, they are not clicking. I'm not saying that it's a deliberate thing, but it's like thay are not on the same page or something...

7. SuperCharger85

SuperCharger85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    One thing I have noticed is Rivers not stepping up in the pocket. When they throw from the shotgun he is ten yards behind the LOS. How is a tackle susposed to defend against the speed rush?

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm telling you... "If stupid Norv can make LT a factor, Rivers will be as good as he was last season (if not better)."

Norv is the ONLY NFL coach that can successfully run last season's MVP into the ground!! Our running game looks like pop warner this season and it's ALL Norv!!!! :icon_evil:

9. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    And if Volek doesnt perform put in Whitehurst!!! But hurry because there only 12 games left and we are a whole game out of the division!!!!

If they would have given the ball to LT in the second half like they were supposed to, this conversation wouldnt be happening.

Rivers is thee man and will be one of the great ones.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :tup:

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Agree. I mentioned this earlier. I replayed these downs several times and you could clearly see a pocket forming. All PR had to do was step up. Other times, the push coming from the middle would tell you he should step to one side or the other (there was room), yet PR went through his throwing motion and clearly stepped right into oncoming traffic. We were very lucky he didn't get hurt as he was releasing the ball, or the ball was tipped.

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Let's bench Norv:icon_rofl:

13. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Doesn't matter who's playing QB on this team, the result will be the same or worse.
    The O-line is not blocking well, I haven't seen our QB under this much pressure since the 03 and 05 seasons...couple that with a bunch of WR's who can't get open, and this is what you get...LT can't run because the opposition stacks the box, and leaves their DB's to cover our WR's one on one.
    The only receiver making an impact is Gates...once we get a WR who scares the defense enough to make them double cover him, then there can be no eight in the box,(at least not if they want to take a chance on guessing wrong) Things then start to loosen up, right now defenses are playing to close to our LOS.

14. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    yeah...bout Rivers???

well, this is what everybody wanted from him. he heard the fans and maybe he's giving them exactly what they wanted and demanded.

1. STOP talking.....just shut up and play ball.

2. STOP laughing with ur teammates....aka creating harmony amongst the players.

3. DON'T let your emotions show....aka...be unemotional and detached from the game.

4. STOP being so hyper and wound up. Just chill out.

5. NO temper tantrums or outbursts on the field. It makes you look like you actually care what is going on out there.

6. BE a man. Don't fight for your team on a bad call or show frustration on a busted play.

7. STEP it up and be a leader...just don't lead so vocally and don't be so visual with your fire.

8. LISTEN to your teammates....while you're all sitting on the bench because you're as frustrated with yourselves and each other as your fans are.

9. STOP THROWING SIDE-ARMED. Don't you realize after all these years, your arm doesn't work that way?

10. GET THE BALL TO LT....cause after all...he is the only person on the team other than Gates who's ever played the game before.

11. LOSING IS ALL HIS FAULT. Rivers is the only person on the team. He plays all positions. Every down. Every play.

12. GET CONTROL OF THE GAME. Just don't show any leadership while you do it. That's a job for the veterans on the team.

13. SPEAK UP AND TRY TO FIX WHAT'S WRONG. But don't you dare confront another player or say a word back to them if they confront you.

14. STOP THROWING YOUR HELMET OR KICKING DIRT. Just go ahead and head butt somebody instead or just cuss out a ref...it's just a little fine and you can afford it.

15. DO NOT DARE THROW ANOTHER INTERCEPTION...it doesn't matter if anybody can catch it, hold onto it, or even run the correct play to get the ball.

16. STOP FUMBLING! Just because you sometimes have less than a nano-second to get rid of the ball and the O-line has holes in it the size of a pick up truck, there are no excuses. Just stop!

17. STOP THROWING THE BALL AWAY. Yeah, just go ahead and get sacked, tackled for a loss, risk the ball getting stripped or a fumble instead...this season sucks anyhow.

18. RUN THE PLAY! It doesn't matter if your supposed to have psychic ability to read Norv's mind and all you get is...NOTHING....just make up something and go for it.

19. PLAY LIKE A CHAMPION! Even if everybody else plays like soggy cereal with bad milk.

20. LOSE THE STUPID GRIN! This game isn't meant to be fun. It's work. These fans paid a lot of money to watch your team play. You & your teammates better not dare enjoy being out on that field. We hate our jobs...all of you should too.

I think that's enough...for now.

I mean...I'm just sayin'. Be careful what you ask for....cause you just may get it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    yeah...bout Rivers???

All he needs to do is settle down and let the game come to him. Stop forcing it.

Last year PR was fearless. This year, he looks like a scared child out there.

Trust your teammates PR. And trust yourself. I have faith in PR, he just needs to chill.

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    This is why I was against drafting a first round WR...I know Buster Davis is going to be good but rookie WR very rarely seem to blow it up in the first year and we have a team pre-built to win the superbowl now! We should have drafted someone on defense first that would contribute in the first year as Davis is no where to be found!

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    This is why I was against drafting a first round WR...I know Buster Davis is going to be good but rookie WR very rarely seem to blow it up in the first year and we have a team pre-built to win the superbowl now! We should have drafted someone on defense first that would contribute in the first year as Davis is no where to be found! This was supposed to be the burner we were looking for you know to stretch the defense as all of you had said, but yet he is only running 5-10 yard routes!

18. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    yeah...bout Rivers???

You lost me there.

Now its the fans fault?

I was and am all for Philip, but if he's so weak minded he lets the fans influence him I'd want no part of him as a QB in the NFL.

He's struggling. He's a young QB. He makes mistakes. Right now (and part of the end of last season) he's letting the pressure get to him and not seeing the entire field. As he relaxs he'll get out of that tunnell vision problem and should be fine. A play here or there and he'll be back to the cocky gunslinger we had in Cincy, Denver and KC last year.

In the meantime don't try to blame the fans. It's just worse for your boy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AthensPhilipRiversFan

AthensPhilipRiversFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +331
    yeah...bout Rivers???

sorry i lost ya. my sarcasm got the best of me. i was tired of hearing all the anti-Rivers crap and it got to me.

the post wasn't to blame the fans for Rivers play...that's his to own. it was a dig at the fans who keep wanting to change who he is as a player and how he plays the game.

maybe i shouldnt post anymore at 3 in the morning? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :yes:

20. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    yeah...bout Rivers???

I get ya. Just realize you can't take every fans analysis and take it to heart. Some are just idiots. You gotta write some of those off at times and go on down the road.

Rivers does have issues to deal with in the NFL. He's far from perfect. Some people will chose to focus on that when he struggles. Right now his struggles are a big problem with this team. He's young though so maybe we're just paying our dues.

It's hard to have patience with your team is in last place and you expected to win almost every game if not every game. It's also hard when you know he could be playing better, but mentally there is just something not right. A big play here or there and he'll get his confidence back. Until then he's struggling with the pressure and has tunnel vision. That makes it hard to win in the NFL and its all on his shoulders to shake it off. And yeah I know some of his teammates and coaches aren't exactly making it easy. :unsure:

21. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think that Rivers like Norv and every other charger, doesn't want to be a loser, period. Before we all are so sure take a look at the redskins last year or the steelers the year before, its not impossible for a team that has talent to win games, no matter what the circumstances.

Rivers is definitely in a slump, I was calling for him to see the bench to get his *** back in line but really these are the chargers and whatever the steelers or skins did we can do better, we will be right back in the mix as long as we dedicate to the run, stop the turnovers and make the tackles, that has been the only factor in us being 1-3 ****** tackling. A good hit on Jennings or Bowe and its a whole different scenario.

:bolt:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    yeah...bout Rivers???

I was listening to my boy Coach John Kenterra on the radio yesterday and for the first time he suggested the Chargers may want to consider sitting Rivers down as a wake up call. I have a tremendous amount of respect for this announcer for what it is worth.

I also happen to agree with him.

Some will as some have already tried to make this out as a back stabbing manuever. To those fans, they are unreachable even by Vulcan mindmelds and to the rest, well, some understand a benching can help a QB (some are scared this may shatter Rivers psyche which I do not believe).

If our team is in a serious hole at halftime in Denver (down by 3 scores), Norv needs to get Volek in the game and Whitehurst needs to be activated onto the 47 man squad.

From there, let the chips fall where they may.

23. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Rivers? Marty handled him well in the first half of the season. Setting him up for success by RUNNING the football and mixing in play action passes. I don't see how wouldn't work now. But using Norv'sd faulty run-run-pass theme is never going to work.

We've got the best running back in the NFL... if Norv can't (won't ?) make play action work with LT then he'd better sell his house and take the night train out of here.

24. Edgar

Edgar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I am not quite sure that I view his performance thus far as total crap.....but he certainly has not performed like a difference maker. Rivers will always be an average QB that can be above average when he takes care of the ball. Considering he seems to not see MLB's covering over the middle.....turnovers have been an issue this year. His complete lack of mobility has forced other turnovers. I mean...come on, step up in the fricking pocket....just two steps...and half our sacks given up don't even happen. He does not handle pressure well AT ALL, as shown by his complete lack of locating his second and third options if he is not given more than five, six seconds to throw the ball. That could be a sign of learing some new things with Norv.

With all that said - there is no way in the World you sit him. We have to remember that this guy is only in his second year starting. Plus, as I stated earlier, he is an above average option if he can stop the frickin' turnovers (no matter what excuses we have or he has for them). I have never seen this "it" factor that so many of his fans talk about. They point to Denver and Cinci last year....but fail to notice New England in the playoffs. The "it" factor should show up in the games that count the most. Until he does that....there is no "it" factor.

Finally Rivers does not have the arm to be a Manning, Palmer, or Brady. Not even close. This team is built around LT....Rivers needs to stop turning the ball over and he will be just fine.

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Every qb struggles at some point, even the great ones.

26. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

tell me about it, I even struggle.

27. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hart as well :lol:

28. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99

Jammer as well :lol:

29. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Struggling is one thing, regressing is another. PR has forgotten how to step around pressure in the pocket. The guy is not reading the blitz/pressure properly. Our O-line has been spotty at best, but there have been plenty of times where PR has chosen to stand in the pocket like a statue when all he needed to do was take one or two steps in one direction or another in order to buy himself another second or two. Defenders seem to know which passing lane he's going to use, because they seem to jump on them very quickly.