1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Cooley ridicules name-change effort, says he’s now protesting the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsNHoes, Jun 19, 2014.

1. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings:
    +71
    [​IMG]

If Redskins fans who love the team’s name were looking for sympathetic local radio voices on Wednesday, they found some on ESPN 980′s The Drive With Cooley and Czabe. Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley, longtime local host Steve Czaban and third man Al Galdi spent the opening segment of their three-hour show making fun of white sportswriters who have championed the name change cause and arguing that the team name is secure.

ESPN 980 is part of Dan Snyder’s Red Zebra Broadcasting operation.

You can listen to it here. Highlights:

On the Chargers

Czaban: Remember, the guilt-ridden white liberal sportswriters…

Cooley: That want to take a stand. It’s a stance.
    Czaban: It’s a cause. They need a cause to feel good about themselves. They will then say it doesn’t matter if it’s 70, 80 percent — if one person is offended, then that’s enough.

Cooley: You know what, Steve? We need a cause. You and I need a cause. And you know what that cause is going to be? I don’t like the Chargers because I want to protect the ozone, all right guys? I feel like there’s a global warming issue, and I don’t like the name Chargers, because they’re promoting electricity. Eff electricity, and eff the Chargers name. I have a problem with them. All I’ve got to do is a pamphlet and 10 percent of a couple people and maybe a Senator or two that wants to protect the ozone and we’re off and running.

Galdi: Call Olbermann. Call Deadspin.

Cooley: I don’t want just money; I want power too. I want to create power with this. I want to create a name for myself out of this. This is for me

On what would happen if the Redskins win on appeal

Cooley: Here’s what it will do: It will create an end to the Redskins publicly saying anything about keeping the name. They’ll let anyone else say whatever they want about it. They’ll let the Oneida tribe say anything, they’ll let anyone that wants to bash the name say anything. But as soon as our court system rules — which is, in my opinion, likely… — it ends what we have to say to them. Now all we do is go out to these reservations and we believe in what we do and create goodwill and continue to work with our Native Americans in building their tribes back up to what they want to be, and we don’t say anything.

On the alternatives

Czaban: The only good counter argument is to say as soon as the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cleveland Indians and the Florida State Seminoles all want to do this then we’d certainly listen to them if they want us to join their movement to change their names….[Otherwise] say we’ll be the Washington Chiefs and paint a more racist picture on the side of the helmets, a buck-toothed Native American that says Chiefs. It won’t say Redskins, but it’ll be a really ugly Native American. It will not be a proud, dignified Native American. It’ll be very cartoonish, like Chief Wahoo, with a big buck-toothed smile.
    Cooley: Chiefs and spell it wrong. Put the [e before the i]…..No, I think if, God forbid, they were forced to change the name, they should just change it to the Smurfs. Something just
    out there. And then make the Smurf a little Indian Smurf, a red Smurf.

On liberal sports media members

Czaban: [They're] going to dance around like in the final scene of Star Wars, like they just defeated the evil empire. Go ahead dance around and do whatever it does that assuages your white liberal guilt but nothing has changed, nothing will change. This is the biggest nothingburger story ever….Maybe we can get therapy for [them], chip in, get to the core of their guilt and understand what is it that’s nagging you.

Cooley: Well because they all understand how it feels. They all know what it means.

Czaban: Sure they do. They were all the subject of hardship and prejudice growing up.

Cooley: Right. They get it.

Czaban: All…those white privileged upper class members of the sports media. Yes. They’re down with the struggle.

UPDATE: The National Congress of American Indians responded to Cooley’s comments — calling them dehumanizing and offensive — in a press release:

Chris Cooley’s comments represent a sadly typical attempt to dehumanize Native Americans by pretending we do not exist. In this case, Mr. Cooley insultingly pretends that the Native American groups representing hundreds of thousands of Native Americans haven’t been leading the fight to end the Washington team’s use of a racial slur. In this Mr. Cooley proves exactly why this slur is such a problem – in defending the team’s insistence to retain the name and profit off a racial slur, he apparently sees Native Americans not as people, but as mere mascots to be ignored and denigrated. These kinds of degrading comments are completely inappropriate and unacceptable in today’s society, and we as Native peoples should not be subject to such characterizations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-effort-says-hes-now-protesting-the-chargers

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Nobody ever said football players were smart.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    I actually bumped into a guy on facebook who actually agrees with Cooley.

I'm losing faith in humanity

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Well, you were on Facebook. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    The name Chargers is a slap in the face to Debit Card Users everywhere.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +238
    Yeah anti War Horse debit holders nightmare is what we are. Change should be here.

7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    or online forum regulars.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Hence your tag": "Well-Known Member"....... :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Lol - Dumb & Dumber... guess which one you are.

17000 posts in 5 years = 9.3 posts per day
    900 posts in 8 years = 0.3 posts per day

:laugh: j/k

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Obviously, someone isn't pulling their weight around here. ;)

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Cooley you ignorant slut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'm not sure if people insulting Cooley because they disagree with his stance on the Redskins name change or if they're taking his obvious satire at face value.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Obvious satire?........ more like an extremely lame and sad attempt to make a serious issue (an NFL team name that's a racial insult) into a joke.

Bringing the Chargers into the equation makes no sense, as does his "electricity causes global warming" inference. It's pure unadulterated BS, and please, if you don't like the fact that you played for a team that insulted an ethic group, than tough :poop:. Grow the **** up.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Just because it's classless or misguided doesn't mean it's not satire.

It's not supposed to make sense. That's the point of hyperbolic satire.

By the way, I'm not saying I agree with his argument or his argumentative style. I've been spending the past few days on facebook arguing against similar arguments, but I at least get what he's really saying.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    You do?....... please explain how belittling someone else's legitimate grievance is either appropriate or funny? Cooley just sounds like a stereotypical jock, insensitive and none too bright. Thank goodness, not all athletes are so "clueless and misguided."

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    This just in:

The Kansas City football team will now be known as the Tribal Leaders. The baseball team from Cleveland will now be the Native Peoples, and the Atlanta baseball team will now be known as the Feathered Militia... The football team from Minnesota will just be the Horny Norsemen, and San Franciscans can rejoice in their new team, the Drunken Miners...

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Cooley isn't smart enough to be satirical. He's just an ***.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I didn't say it was appropriate or funny. I just said that I get that that was his intent.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Are we talking about that guy who did a really bad batman movie?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    fify

• Like Like x 2
  21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The argument against the Chiefs, Braves and Seminoles doesn't compare. Fill in the blank with any of the other team names and you don't get quite the same effect yeah? (except on Sundays I suppose)

Hey, you ******* ________!

Redskin is a racial slur, the intent of the word is to insult and belittle. Being a Chief or a Brave or a Seminole is not. As for the Cleveland Indians, I'd put it more in the same category as the Redskins. While the name is not as blatantly offensive I do believe, as a society, we know better and should do better. Early Europeans thought they landed an India and thus had "discovered" Indians. I think we've had enough time to assimilate the knowledge that they were mistaken.

As for mascots/logos, that's a bit more complex - in the sense that mascots are generally meant to be cartoonish, and often fill a court jester/fool type role - but when you make a caricature of something, particularly a race of people, it's a fine line between harmless fun and degrading. I can appreciate the intelligent choice (whether it was made altruistically or not) that the Braves took to move away from the goofy native american caricature. While the Indians still use a questionable grinning native american both mascots have nothing to do with Native American stereotypes and the Braves focus now is more on the A for Atlanta, using simply a tomahawk with the Braves name.

In San Diego there was a similar issue with Monty Montezuma and it's an excellent example of that fine line. I feel like, at least at this point, the Aztecs are represented by SDSU with pride and honor. Not mockery.

Someone can argue all they like that the Redskins are a "great" tradition and aren't hurting anyone, it'll never be a valid argument. It'd be like if the Padres had gone a different route when naming their team and instead we rooted for the San Diego Wetbacks. I don't give two shits if people in the 30's 40's or 50's thought it was acceptable when they branded the team. In those days people also thought it was OK to segregate blacks, practiced blatant antisemitism and smoked like chimneys while pregnant. :p Native American groups have been fighting against this name for 50 years, while the struggle may be new to us nationally it's not something that just suddenly became offensive because it's politically incorrect. It's always been offensive. It's just now far more people are aware, are acknowledging it and are choosing to speak up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    My only thing about it is that the face of the movement appears to be white instead Native American and that's where it loses it's tread. I understand both sides of the argument, I truly do. My only issue is that the loudest voice in the argument against needs to be a Native American and not Bob Costas. That irritates me. I'm bi-racial and the last thing I will ever understand is a white man speaking on the feelings and ambitions of an ethnic group he isn't apart of. I'm not Native American or of any decent to my knowledge so I keep my mouth shut on issues that don't involve White or Black folk. That doesn't by any stretch of the imagination mean I condone it. It just means I let people speak for themselves. It's not like Native Americans can't come together and make a show of solidarity.

And when Dan Snyder is bringing out Native Americans at the game who say they have no problem with it, I'm even more inclined stand down. When there's a united front, there will be guaranteed action.

It's like if a white person were to lead the charge against the N-word being used in any way shape form or fashion by anyone. It would just look weird considering the irony and I'm not sure the Black community would be so quick to get behind that person being the face of a pro-Black movement.

I can't speak for everybody but that's where I sit on it. Yeah, I know the name is kinda messed up but I don't see people rushing out to change the name of Oklahoma.

23. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71
    Other than that, **** Chris Cooley for daring to blaspheme the greatest football organization in the world. Speaking the Chargers name in vain is capital sin.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    And the NAACP was going to give an award to Donald Sterling before the story blew up....... even after, a black pastor was embracing him. Whomever Snyder chooses to parade out is hardly representative of the feelings of Native Americans as a whole. When was it ever necessary for an entire ethnic group to have an issue with something before action is taken? The surviving Native American population is not that huge to begin with, as a percentage of the overall population.

When something is defined as a racial slur in the dictionary, that should be evidence enough. There really aren't legitimate grounds in favor of keeping the name. Tradition is the lamest excuse of all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71

Donald Sterling's situation is a bad comparison and way worse in my opinion.

And don't confuse me with a supporter of the name. Just don't. I'm just playing my own ball. I elect to fight my own fights. No matter what the Native American population is in comparison to the whole, it doesn't mean they can not unite on the issue despite their size. Using the "if one person is offended" logic doesn't get applied across the board on other issues and that is painfully obvious. Plus the fact that it can be turned on itself, which is the biggest roadblock.

Far as I'm concerned flying confederate flags in the south is just as bad if not worse than all of this. The grounds behind that? Tradition. Funny thing is I'm willing to bet a lot of white folk in the south who are "outraged" by the name redskins and say tradition is a lame excuse will use tradition to defend that flag still being flown in Mississippi. Rebel flags need to go in the same direction as all Of this. But that's another discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    I didn't lump you into anything, merely punting out that whomever Snyder brings to a game is besides the point. Either the name is a racial slur, or it isn't. It most clearly is...... end of argument. There is no gray area here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    The Arizona Diamondbacks will now just be known as the Snakes.

28. BoltsNHoes

Ratings:
    +71

Uh.....there was an argument?

I didn't know we reached that point in discourse, but okay, sure, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,511
    No argument, I just didn't see that there was anything to discuss.

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    don't forget the raiders and the buccaneers. what do we know about pirates?

They sure weren't revolutionaries.