1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Cooley ridicules name-change effort, says he’s now protesting the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsNHoes, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

Serious question. When was the last time that "Redskin" was used as a racial slur? 1900?

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    That matters why? And I'm certain that you track this sort of thing?

I feel pretty certain that in states where there is a significant Native American population there are assholes who use this denigrating term.

3. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Back in 1999 this same B.S. was tried! The court dismissed the complaint on several factors including 1st amendment concerns. What a bunch of *ick heads!! Look up the name "Oklahoma". In Choctaw it means: Red People. Why are the American people not voting these pieces of *hit out of office!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

In order to be a racial slur, a word has to actually be used as a racial slur. I just have a hard time imagining someone using the word "Redskin" as a pejorative.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,394
    You wouldn't walk up to a Native American and say "hi redskin". Why? Because it IS a slur.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Perhaps, Ikeman can test it out.... just to be sure. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Would you say "Hi Indian" or "Hey Chief" or "Whats up Seminole"....Ban one, seems like you have to ban all.

• Old Old x 1
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Matti, you can't be so dense to know that those AREN'T slurs. The Seminoles are an actual tribe and support the FSU program. Same with the Chicago Blackhawks. The use of "Indians" was only controversial because of the logos Cleveland & Atlanta used. Both were changed.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'd actually pay money to see that. But Ikeman would probably take his guns along.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    I was being facetious dick.

But with that said, neither was the word retard just a few years ago. What is and isn't "slur" is decided by more people than just yourself, you can't be so arrogant you don't realize that, can you? ;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I guess I gave you too much credit for not being dense. Bringing up the word 'retard'? What's next with you? The 'n' word?

Have you stopped beating your wife?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Well now... This thread how now gone to the poopy pile...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Well, then I'll "lift it" with some levity:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Good to see you Burlington, back to tanking threads true to form.:tup:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    The ******** deserved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Wow...you really are that clueless. Using 'retard'? Really?

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    CBF you've been here just as long as I have, we've always got along, so let me give you some advise; This is the part where you deny the accusation that you created the alter ego Burlington Bolt Brother, an account that has been banned permanently, and then you do all you can to help this thread die.

18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Um... WTF are you talking about Mat? CBF was never BBB.

Someone needs a ******* nap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    He wasn't Burlington...

Unless he has multiple personality syndrome.

Wait! Genius! That explains sooooo much! CBF! You and I need to have a loooong talk! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    You say that like I should have some way of knowing, Syd.:confused:

All I know is he just used Burlington Bolt Bitch's favorite line...A line I've never heard anyone else (ever) use...
    And he didn't even deny it when I threw the dart out there, which I was genuinely surprised by.

I wasn't so suspicious last night, but now I have legitimate reason to suspect, unless you know something I don't...:cautious:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I wouldn't call it obvious satire. More obvious pandering. It's why Kwak's post was so perfect, Cooley really is a slut for attention, has been since he was a player (if anyone recalls his Twitter antics, which made Shaun Phillips look like a humble monk).

In this case he's pandering to the wanton masses of DC Metro radio fans, whose opinion will never change on this and who honestly would care who was offended as they're not offended because they're beating the "tradition" drum. What I've found rather hysterical in this whole matter is that if there really was some "liberal political correctness agenda" out trying to do things just to get their names in the papers or because just one person was offended, you'd figure someone would have gone after Compton High School (whose mascot, as I discovered much to my chagrin several years ago, is The Tar Babes) by now.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    You're the 2nd person now to say that, I'm curious how you guys know for sure.

It's simple enough to create an email and an "alter ego" type account, only the IP address would give him away.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Offensive to well-endowed men!

24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Well, technically Blackhawk isn't a tribe but refers to a chief of particular notoriety in northern Illinois.

*LBC's wealth of useless information once again on display!*

Now don't get me wrong, I'm well aware the Council on Native American Affairs (or whatever it's proper name is) would ideally prefer that no reference to Indians be used as mascots - but mind you this is the most outspoken bunch among the whole landscape of the Native American population (not unlike the ACLU). What has been shown is that a vast majority of the NA population finds the term "redskin" offensive. The CNAA would likely still be argumentative about changing the name Redskins to Warriors, but again they're a small sect of a larger popular - one that hasn't shown to have as much of an issue with the warrior mascot (as it's been brought up to them before with regard to the one professional and numerous collegiate programs using the warrior mascot).

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So you just confirmed I threw you off your game? Good. See, Syd and Conc have actually MET me. Also, if you look at the thousands of posts I've had since this place started, even someone like you should be able to figure out who I really am.

But then again, I've learned not to give you that much credit. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    No surprise. It's a political/ethical topic that just happens to involve a football team. All it takes is someone with a differing opinion and watch the personal attacks fly.

It's really a shame that so few can debate issues while still respecting others point of view. I guess leaving agendas, egos and emotions at the door is no easy task, but it would be nice to see more effort.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Because Oz (the real BBB) has been around for years. It is like calling you Bolts4Life...

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    All I've confirmed is that you're acting very weird about this topic, nothing more so far. I have no problem with you, I always thought we got along well the last several years, so I'm confused as to why you're acting like a prick right now.

And lets be honest, people will act different in person than they do behind the protection of a keyboard, just look at the comments section on a You Tube video sometime. So the fact that you all know each other alleviates my new found suspicion exactly 0%.

EDIT: Conc has since vouched for you, claiming Oz admitted to being BBB...so that's over as far as I'm concerned.

Still what was the deal with using Burlington's line? The guy is one of the most hated people here, one of the few people in the last few YEARS to be banned for life, and you think it was smart/clever/funny? To use his insult (really it was a desperation line to "get me off my game" when his back was against the wall) as if you were burning me or something?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,179
    I thought that our friend Oz was BBB? Come on Conc, say it ain't so!

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,727
    Again, I'm confused as to how you're sure Oz is BBB.

Did he admit it to you guys or something? What did I miss?