1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Cooley ridicules name-change effort, says he’s now protesting the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsNHoes, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    "White Privilege". Not sure if serious.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that there are still such significant racial tensions in the US with regards to the black community that even though that particular slur is not in common usage, the fact that racism towards that group still is would make it offensive. My contention is that A) Redskin is not a pejorative in common use and B) racism towards Native Americans is basically dead, the same way that racism towards Irish people in this country is basically dead.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    Guess no one wants to come down to the barrio to play, too many Messicans there...

4. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Seems to me that "Portland Palefaces" would be more germane to the conversation, better reflects the area's demographics, and has a nice ring to it. ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  5. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Racism towards Native Americans is basically dead?

You are truly clueless on this subject.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
  8. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Holy fargin' didgeridoo said the Dingo to the baby !!!!! .............................why wasn't I made aware of this little pearler of a thread, festering ???

I think I could have some fun in this thread !!! .................Hell, even "Tina's" emerged from whatever rock he's been hiding under and Matti's doing his bestest ever Lone Ranger impersonation I see.................good :poop:

I'd like to add the Aborigine into this clusterfarg if I may ................... no idea why, just sounded like a good idea at the time.

Sorry, Footy has started here now, will have to wait until a more appropriate time. ;)

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    What is your point with all the 'Next' posts Ant? None of these are anything new, few of the 'next' issues you bring up are going anywhere. Is it your commentary on the issue of the Redskins loss of their trademark protection?

They have as much impact as I do when I say (tongue in cheek) I will sue the Celts, and the fighting Irish for insulting my heritage... Not even in the same league as 'Redskins'.

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Good Lord - listing tribal names or the actual names of great Native American leaders is nowhere near using a slur.

If our military - no, our GOVERNMENT, wants to feel ashamed, it sure as hell shouldn't begin or end here. There were far more atrocities committed against the Native Americans than name-calling can EVER match.

You're a lawyer, correct? Rest assured you'd never get a call to be retained by me if this is your pattern of logic.

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm absolutely serious. You can be trash and still exhibit the behavior.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Because these are the next areas where the name are considered to be offensive. It started with all the colleges with the NCAA forcing even teams with the approval of the tribe itself to change their name (U North Dakota Fighting Sioux). I keep hearing that this is just ONE situation and ONE case that's offensive, but it will not stop with Redskins. And I say that because it never does, it just inspires people with axes to grind to do further.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm sure you'd have ZERO problems with a team named the K i k e s right? After all, expecting a multi-million dollar organization not to use a racial slur as their name is just a slippery slope, nothing more.

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Compare Redskins vs Bullets - a team name like what you described isn't analogous; for one Redskins ceased being a slur two plus generations ago whereas K has never been anything but. for another the Bullet example were changed because of public pressure, not a court order and a small group of fools with a microphone in easy reach. This name would have been changed with public pressure if it was as bad as a K-word team but you don't see that in these case or any other indian names. Let's not forget that this has happened regardless of public opinion or even opinion of the affected group; Sioux was changed despite the wishes of the tribe, numerous other indian names changed for the same reason and even Aztecs were targeted even though there were no aztecs to file a claim.

And for the record you name a team after something you honor or want to emulate, so no it makes little sense to name it a K word.

But i'm just noting its the same principle, Indians Chiefs are insulting (i'll grant you Chief Wahoo, that should've been changed through public pressure), but don't worry all those indian names will be removed and it won't stop there. These I keep bringing up with the statement of NEXT is proof, and don't worry they'll come for San diego's teams soon enough

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Bull ****!
    Redskins is a slur. It is not a tribe name like Sioux. To try and make the comparison is like saying Hebe and Jew are the same. How exactly do you define when a word ceases being a slur? Did Websters provide and update to the slur dictionary those 2 decades ago?

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Redskins never ceased being a slur. It isn't commonly used but it's STILL a slur. Just because one is personally offensive to you and one is not doesn't change the meaning of the word Ant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Really? Since % matters find me any that knew pre this that Redskins was a slur. You'll find maybe 2 out of 100. You'll also find that the name redskins was used out of respect to honor the former coach who was native american and at a time when that prejudice remained. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy) If ANYONE would've complained about such it would've been him, and not a peep came out. And yes whether you believe it or not words and language change all....the....time.... Want proof? Look up the word Gay and tell me what that used to mean at the time the Skins were founded vs. Now.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Ignorance is as ignorance does.

Allow me to turn this around. Can you provide any objective, documented evidence that it is not a slur? Maybe something more that 2 out of 100?

20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    The younger generation may not know redskin as a slur but you can bet your *** anyone over 40 does. I'd feel Damn certain that the same could be said about most anti-Semitic slurs as well.

The groups that are the target don't forget and the slingers rationalize.

21. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    There's also a regional component to it. I never really heard slurs directed at Native Americans while growing up in San Diego, but I definitely here them up in Montana.

I think perhaps because most of the country doesn't actually see or interact with the people that the word harms, it's difficult to get a grip on the reality that it is actually harmful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,177
    That's it, I am no longer going to eat those 'red skin' potatoes anymore...

23. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    What about the candy Dawg ?

[​IMG]

look whats disappeared since I was a "kid in the Lollie (Candy) store" !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

its OK though .............

my Big Boss Cigars have survived ....... ;)

[​IMG]

24. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Ant, you went to college. You should know the using wikipedia as a reference is very frowned upon.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I highly doubt that in 1756 "Red Skin" was ever meant to be used disparagingly, more a descriptive nature of these new people never known beforehand. I'd be more likely to believe that "Savage Heathen" was more descriptive in the Anglo Christian manner of disagreement of said native inhabitants. In 2014 I see folks can have it mean what ever fits their personal agenda. Just my dash of salt.

26. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,177
    Jack;

Not having any of that either...

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Funny. Not.

Just have Washington change the logo to a spud.

28. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,089
    Fair call Dawg ................................ not sure its even available these day's mate !!! ;)

We'll stick with the cupcakes as dessert at the tailgate's then ..... :tup:

29. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Maybe not in 1756, but since then it has genuinely been used as a pejorative apart from any modern day agenda.

Colored wasn't originally meant to be disparaging either. But honest question-- if it was the Washington Coloreds would you have an issue with it?

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I would hope that "colored" wouldn't pass the owner vote today for the name of any sports franchise, maybe 90 years ago it might take wings. Today the word "thug" is becoming the new "N" word or so it seems. Where will it end is my question, throughout history many have fought and died for the freedom of or the continued enslavement of others. Words themselves are not racist, people are but they are not born with hatred we learn it.

I've heard many slurs aimed at my heritage as I don't have the look, some of it is funny, some stupid and some downright nasty. I just let it roll and won't own it, that is their load to carry not mine. Racism will die when folks stop holding onto it, the sword and gun have done little to escape it's ugly clutches.