1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Johnson crying he didn't win the MVP

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I heard this on ESPN that Chris Johnson has voiced he should have won the MVP this year. He has even tweeted about it.

I guess being on a 8-8 team out of the playoffs, and getting "garbage" yards in the season finale to "try" to get 2,000 should get him the award over 4 QB's who got votes, with great stats, and division titles as well.

Chris Johnson cried about not getting the Rookie Of The Year as well. Now maybe he deserved the Rookie award, but this guy is all about individual stats, and with that little skinny frame, when he does get some more hits, injuries will start taking it's toll. All the great RB's in past history, had some toughness to them.

CJ's body will not last to get any long term records.:no:

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    We were all arguing that someone on an 8-8 team should have won it last year. :icon_shrug:

Let him complain.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Chris Johnson got zero votes and he didn't lead a team like Manning, Brees, or Rivers did so he didn't deserve it. He got the Titans plenty of yards and aided Vince young in the turn around, but league's Most Valuable Player he is not.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Let's see, would the:

Colts go 14-2 and clinch home field advantage in the AFC w/out Manning? FCUK NO.
    Saints go 13-3 and clinch home field advantage in the NFC w/out Brees? FCUK NO.
    Vikings go 12-4 and clinch the #2 seed in the NFC w/out Favre? FCUK NO.
    Chargers go 13-3 and clinch #2 seed in the AFC w/out Rivers? FCUK NO.
    Titans go 8-8 and miss the playoffs w/out Johnson? Maybe.

/thread

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Vince Young is a more valuable player to the Titans than Chris Johnson is. They proved it in the first 6 games.

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    There's a difference between the fans complaining about it and the actual player complaining about it. You don't see Rivers whining about not getting the respect or the MVP award.

They were complaining after the season finale that the ref cost him the rushing record because of the holding call, even if he had that run he still would have been short by quite a bit.

7. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Well said, let me just add: Chris Johnson is an idiot! Someone hand him a box of tissues. Better yet, he needs to hire someone to follow him around with a violin. I hope he enjoys watching the playoff games on TV.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Peyton would have cried, too.

They're all *****es compared to PR. :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Titans would have been 1-15 without Johnson.

Not saying he should have won it (or even gotten a vote) but you can't deny his value to his team.

Furthermore, I've never cared for this argument. Take away a running back and you still have other options on offense no matter how good that RB is.

Take away a team's starting QB and that team is usually screwed no matter how good that QB is (or even is not).

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    The same Titans went 14-2 with VY on the bench last year. :icon_shrug:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Very astute. Now I'm waiting to follow in the steps of another illustrious whiner-"Just give the damned ball"!!!!!

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I refer you to Workplay's post.

BTW, I'm not denying his value. You shouldn't assume. I was simply pointing out the truth. With CJ they are an 8-8, not going to the playoffs team.

And guess what? You don't care for my argument and simultaneously made my point for me.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    The only point I made is that the MVP should never be awarded to anyone but the QB. Is that what you believe?

Take away LT in 2006 and the Chargers are dealt a devastating blow...but can still win.

Take away Manning in 2006 and the Colts are up the creak.

Your argument says LT should not have won it in 2006.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    As for Workplay's post, I replied to it.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This year, yes. Every year, no.

BTW, we made the playoffs the year LT won, probably due to his unprecedented scoring binge.

Different year, different set of circumstances.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Your argument was predicated on what happens to the team if you remove the player in question.

That concept holds true just as well in 2006.

The Chargers lose LT it sucks. The Colts lose Manning and have to go to Sorgi it sucks for them even more.

By your argument Peyton should have won it that year.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The only reason it wouldn't have been as big of a blow is because we had Turner as a backup. The Colts have no one behind Manning. We'd still lose probably an additional 4 games though.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It's not my argument that said someone's the MVP if him going down causes the biggest blow to the team. :icon_shrug:

But thanks for backing what my actual argument is amidst all this rhetoric.

Saying someone's the MVP because losing him would hurt more than another team losing their candidate only says that the latter has better back ups behind him.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yes. FOR THIS SEASON.

We're not talking about 2006.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    You can't cherry pick which seasons that argument pertains to. A player is either the MVP because it hurts his team the most if he's not there or he isn't.

That's called changing the logic to suit your argument...a tactic I'm used to seeing B4L use and not yourself.

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Says who? What are you, the argument authority? What the hell am I arguing? I simply made a STATEMENT based on this season. Why can't I use this explanation for this season? Aren't we talking about 2009-10? You keep injecting 2006 into it, but we're not talking about 2006.

Leo, what point are you trying to make? I don't get it. You don't agree with what I posted IN THIS THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC, fine. I got that already about 4 posts back. Why do you keep insisting this is the only way I am allowed to judge every situation regarding the MVP forever?

22. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Rivers won the division at 8-8, and Norv didn't make Philip pass 60 times to pad his stats.

Fisher was prepared to give him the ball 50 times if that's what it took in that final game. He deserved to be #5 in the voting if he actually got any votes. He's a me first player, that should be playing in the NBA with that kind of attitude.

23. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    They were 13-3 in 2008.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    The Titans sucked with Johnson, and would suck without Johnson.

He got 2,000 yards because Jeff Fisher let him try for it in a meaningless game to pad his stats.

Johnson thinks he should have got it because he got 2,000 yards. He's a me first kind of player, team second.

'Nuff said...

25. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Me first or not, the guy had the best season a RB has EVER had in the NFL. In addition, CJ's Twitter is only behind Ocho Cinco's in level of seriousness. He says a ton of things tongue in cheek on that thing.

He broke Faulk's single season all purpose yardage mark, ran for 2,006 yards, and didn't get a single MVP vote. Plus, he got absolutely screwed last year in the rookie of the year voting when they gave that to that overrated QB in Atlanta.

To be honest, Peyton should win MVP every year like Jordan in his prime. But for CJ not to get a vote was a bit shocking.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Correction: The Chargers won the division.

But I agree with you nevertheless.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Whoops.

My point still stands, though.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I was more arguing the faulty logic used to make the argument than the conclusion.

As I said in my initial response to RTL, I don't even think Johnson should have gotten a vote, nevermind the award.

I just don't buy into the "Look what this team would be like without him" argument because that's more of an argument about how good (or bad) the back ups are than how good the player is.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Normally I don't like to attribute the team stat of Wins and Losses to individual players, but when discussing "Most Valuable Player" I find it hard to annotate someone as very valuable to their team when the team in question didn't accomplish much.

30. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Excuse me Titanfan24 but the greatest OVERALL season by a RB was LT IN 2006 !!! 31 total TD's 28 of them by rushing (NFL record), and the most points scored by one player in NFL history. Also he led his team to a 14-2 record grabbing the MVP that year. I would give Faulk's '98 and '99 seasons better season's than Johnson's '09 season. (Look up the stats)

You actually think Johnson had a better season than that based on him getting garbage yards in a meaningless game to pad his stats???

LT was only about 185 yards or so from 2,000 that year, and could have went WAY past that if Marty wanted him to get it just to pad his stats.

Come on get F-N serious. Johnson's season was real good, but not even close to getting 31 TD's and setting the points scored record in NFL History.

Let's look at the stats dude.

CJ 2009:
    2,006 yards 5.6 avg 14 TD's, 50 rec 503 yards 2 TD's 3 fumbles 98 points total.

LT 2006:
    1,815 yards 5.2 avg 28 TD's, 56 rec 508 yards 3 TD's, 2 fumbles, and (drum roll please) 185 points total.

LT led his team to a 14-2 record, set the NFL record for rushing TD's in a season, and total TD's in a season. He set the NFL record for most points scored in a single season, and got the MVP.

And CJ had the best season overall by a RB in NFL History ???:icon_huh: Get real dude. I understand you supporting your player, but know your facts, and accomplishments by other players, especially in recent years.