1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Johnson misses start of Titans minicamp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, May 11, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This guy needs a clue. Isn't there some rule about how much money teams can throw at a player in this uncapped year? And, isn't he already under contract?

WTF???

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Chris-Johnson-skips-Tennessee-Titans-minicamp-051110

The Tennessee Titans continue to work toward the 2010 season with a major question mark surrounding their No. 1 star.

After skipping April's minicamp workouts due to contract issues, Titans running back Chris Johnson did not report to the first day of Titans minicamp on Tuesday, The Tennessean reports.

Also missing from Baptist Sports Park was starting tight end Bo Scaife, who has also been publicly requesting a new contract the past two offseasons.

Johnson exploded in his second NFL season in 2009, rushing for 2,006 yards and 14 touchdowns for Tennessee. Johnson has played in the Pro Bowl in each of his two NFL seasons.

Johnson told The Tennessean in January that his goal is to become the NFL's highest-paid offensive player, and the running back has not said whether he will report to training camp this summer.

Scaife also has not worked out with the team this offseason program, despite signing his $4.9 million tender in March.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Heard about this on Sirius this morning. Only way Johnson gets paid is if the Titans dishes out a ton of money up front.

As for Scaife, that 's a big WTF. He's guaranteed $4.9 Million. All he has to do is show up.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I hope the new CBA has a clause that both the player and the teams are required to fulfill the agreed upon contract. Releasing a player from a contract he isn't living up to is no different that a player who is under contract, demanding a new one because they are playing above their current salary.

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree that there needs to be a CBA BUT!!!!! I do think regardless of the player that they should be able to get as much money as possible to play as their Profession.
    If they are a Scrub like JayBustas Russell and getting Big $$$$$ then I am all right about that.
    On the other side if their is a big Stud of a Super Star and wants to make the league minimum then I am all right with that as well.

It is all about these:

[​IMG]

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If teams were on the hook to pay players the full extent of their contract, they would be less likely to sign players to long term deals for huge money like Russell got.

On the other side, CJ was a rookie, he knew he was going to have to come in and prove himself before he was going to get paid, but he chose to sign a 5 year contract. If he though he would out preform the contract, then hold out for a shorter contract. But don't whine about not getting paid enough 2 years into a 5 year contract.

What it comes down to is that both player and team need to be held responsible for contracts they deem bad. No one forced anyone to sign anything. Live up to your end of the bargain, or work together on a different deal. But holding out for a bigger contract or releasing a player who is under performing is ridiculous

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

good stuff, but I disagree with being forced. Owners are forced as well as players. Agents are in control of this game.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I said no one is forced, teams and players choose to sign the contracts they do, and both should live up to their end of the deal

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    doesn't work that way. The current system is broke.

Teams are forced when we are talking top 10.

Players are forced when we are talking 11 to 255??

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I understand that. I said in the next CBA, this is what I would like to see.

Contracts should be guaranteed for both parties. Holdouts should result in heavy fines and suspensions, and teams should be on the hook for the contracts they sign.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

not sure what you mean here.

I understand a team cutting a player to end a contract. But, I think teams have paid the dood $$$$$ already, for the most part

no?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am saying if a player is under contract for 5 years, the team and player should both be held to keep their end of that contract.

Team and players can do things like team or player options at the end of a contract. But if a team doesn't think a player will be worth $5+ mil when the player is 35 years old, then don't give them a contract that would pay them that. If a 22 year old rookie think he will be worth more than league min when they are 25, then don't sign a 5 year deal.

The current system heavily favors the owners. They can cut players who are not playing up to their contract no problem. But if a player feels like they are worth more, they look like an *** holding out. I am saying both sides should have to fulfill their side of the deal

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    That's stupid!

Every player should just sign a 1 year contract. :icon_rofl:

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Or just fulfill the contract you signed

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The NFL/teams are the employers, the players are the employees. The employer can layoff a employee at anytime.The employee also has the right to not show up for work.

If you or I did the latter, we'd be fired! :yes:

I have no problem with players holding out for more money. Just like I have no problem going out on strike for more money.

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I think of it like this.

(Your Job) Using your way of thought. Do not ever ask for a raise or any other benefits that you would like that will help you out in the end, just keep right at where you are for the duration of your employment.

The Business Owner/Employer where you work does the same thing and not give raises or any new benefits due to the Application you filled out and negotiated the contract which you and them agreed to.

I do not like that what so ever. If you were to exceed the expectations of the company then a Raise and or more Benefits should be given to you through a renegotiation of the original contract. But on the other side if you were to not do a good job at all then a Pay Cut is in order and or Benefits taken away to hopefully get you to work better. If you do not improve after that then a release is in order.

So Chris Johnson is just wanting more money because of the work he did in the prior year and I agree with him that he deserves more by a renegotiation of his contract to pay more to him and or benefits as well.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If I was a rookie, I would be negotiating incentive clauses in addition to the rest of the contract. This would be particularly true if I was drafted below the top 10 choices. This would be especially true on a five year deal. I would also include a reopener after the third year in the event I exceeded the incentives in the contract.

17. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    i think his main issue is that he's gonna make less next year than whatever scrub is backing him up! i agree he should stick to his contract but at the same time he would have had no right to demand more at the time cuz he hadnt proved himself..now he has and wants to be paid accordingly..

i dunno, to be honest I don't care :icon_tease:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Put a strong rookie salary scale in place that slots the salaries & stipulates when the contract can be renegotiated. Incentives can be handled at an individual level based upon what the team feels about the player's potential.

Otherwise, the madness continues.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The NFL isn't like any other job where if you don't like you job, you can just quit and go get another one with a competitor. Players in the NFL can't just say, "Another team will pay me more, so I am going to quit and go get a job there" like the rest of us can. So your example doesn't work

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not under contract at my job. I can get up and leave any day I want. I work for Qualcomm, and If Nokia or another company was willing to pay me more, I could get up and move when ever I want. NFL players don't have that same option. They don't even get to choose which company(Team) they initially get to work for

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, but he could have demanded on a 3 year contract, or a clause for a pay raise if he meets certain criteria. Since that isn't in his contract, and he signed the deal as is, he should work though it

22. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm with DenverBolt, I agree that both sides should honor the contract.

I do think Johnson is nuts to make a stand this year because he can only get a 10% raise. And, he's already making 4+ million a year!!!!

Not sure what he's whining about.

And to compare athletes jobs & salaries to ours is just not reality.

23. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    yeah i agree with you...i could get pissy and say some of us dont have jobs so he should shut up, but like i said, meh who cares, he aint no charger! :bolt: