1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Young/Derrek Lee incident.

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by HollywoodLeo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/slezak/431388,CST-SPT-carol17.article

- Why would Chris Young bean Derrek Lee and not Alfonso Soriano?

- Why would Chris Young intentionally bean anyone with a no hitter in tact?

- if Chris Young intended on beaning anyone on purpose why would he wait till he has a 1-2 count instead of doing it on the first pitch?

I suppose Chris Young was pulled by his manager in the 4th inning because of the horrible no hit outing he was having up till that point?

Yep. Too bad the Cubs suck.

Yeah, the best pitching staff in the majors had nothing to do with it. :icon_huh:

I'd be fuming too if I looked like a ***** on national television.

People feel the same way when others try to throw fists at their head, Derrek.

Maybe because the umpiring crew has an IQ level higher than that of a dying rodent. I mean, they generally aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, but even they can tell the obvious fact that the bean ball was not intentional.

Had Derrek Lee not thrown a punch at Chris Young before Young even raised his fist Lee wouldn't have been ejected either. Oh, and I feel compelled to add that Cesar Izturis wouldn't have been due up for the last at bat of the game. :lol:

Right. Alfonso Soriano, not Derrek Lee. But let's not let facts get in the way of our whining and crying.

While it was wrong of Jake to go as far as to suggest beaning someone can someone tell me who follows Alfonso Soriano in the line up? I'm pretty sure it isn't Derrek Lee. (Even though it probably should be. I'll never stop wondering why teams insist on batting him lead off.)

I'm sure they were also aware of the 1-2 count that Chris Young had on Lee while still pitching a no hitter. I'm sure they were also aware that had the Padres wanted to enact revenge they would've done so on Soriano.

And I'm glad they did.

They probably thought it was a fastball that got away from a pitcher who likes to throw them high.

And neither did anybody with half a brain.

I think the no hitter and the 1-2 count had more to do with it. But yeah, there's also that thing about it not even fitting the empty threat in question.

Only to whiny fans who want to point fingers at anyone other than the Cubs for their current woes.

Probably because it was painfully obvious that Lilly intentionally threw the ball at Renteria.

1) it was the first pitch of the at bat.

and 2) Lilly stood there after the pitch with his hand on his hip letting Edgar know it was intentional.

This, as opposed to Chris Young, who hit Lee on a 1-2 count, looked dejected immediatley following the pitch that he let get away, and then went to Lee where you can read his lips stating that it wasn't intentional.

It's not like they were going to win anyways. :lol:

So where's the criticism for Soriano saying this? It's not ok for Jake Peavy to tell the media that the Padres should bean a Cubs player, but it's perfectly acceptable for Alfonso Soriano to do so? Why? Because he wears a red C on his blue cap?

Give up 5 home runs and lose 11-3? :lol: :lol: :lol:

See, even Cliff Floyd understands who the target would've been if there was a target.

I actually think the complaining over the celebration was a bit too much...even if I think the celebration was a bit much as well.

True, but they don't moon walk with a big **** eating grin on their faces.

But, as I said, the public complaining about it was a bit much.

But none of this can be the case, right? It doesn't make for shocking journalism!

I agree. Thank goodness Chris Young's fastball that got away didn't hit Lee in the head, that would've been scary.

I also thank goodness that the melee that Derrek Lee incited didn't get too out of hand.

Too bad he made an ill advised pitch to Russell Branyan in the 9th.

Because they were sure tearing the cover off the ball with him for the first three innings. :icon_huh:

Pinella probably has a brain and realizes it wasn't intentional.

In his mind: You guys are stupid. Quit trying to create controversy.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Damn Leo, how long did it take you to write that post?

• Like Like x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    about 10 minutes or so, awhile ago on another forum.

I cut and pasted it for here, though.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I figured you had to much time on your hands whiule the forum was down for maintenance.

5. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    We got the win and the series... So it's all good. Derek Lee is lucky that Chris Young missed him with that first punch. It baarely grazed him, but if he connected Lee would've been on his butt.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    CY's lucky as well...mighta broken his hand :icon_eek: :yes:

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848

:yes: :yes:

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    it's crap they got suspended

should been two minutes for roughing at the most!!!!

:icon_shrug:

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Chris will miss one start, Derrek gets the full 5 Game vacation package.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I should also add, if Chris Young wanted to bean Derrek Lee why didn't he do so in the 1st inning when he already had 2 outs and nobody on and the base runner wouldn't have been as bad? An at bat in which he eventually walked Lee in, anyways.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    still sucks

the league office is trying to take the fun out of hockey!!!

:lol:

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Baseball brawls are awesome. :yes: :lol: :tup:

I didin't know a guy like Young had it in him and obviously Lee didn't. I wouldn't be so harsh Leo as Lee isn't known as an a-hole but they've been losing and it was close to his head even if it got away. That **** sucks and after the fear usually most of us get pissed. I think it was just a reaction. It happens.

Great television though.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,924
    I'm not harsh on Lee and his actions. I'm harsh on morons who want to imply that the bean ball was intentional when it's painfully obvious that it was not.

I did throw some smak in their, though, just for the hell of it.

14. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I'm sure he didn't know Young was a brawler, but when he found out, he ran right to Papa Piniella for help. Could you believe that? A 6'5'' man-beast Derek Lee run behind a senior citizen to "hold him back" from fighting the Freak Geek from Princeton? It took midget-@ss Marcus Giles all his might to keep Young in one spot, but Piniella didn't even know Lee was there. Great television indeed.

By the way I don't think Lee is an a-hole either. Young and Lee both seem to be two of the classier players on the teams, and after some reflection both should realize it was just a misunderstanding in a pressure situation. Ah well Padres won.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Nice how the league suspends a guy for several games for defending himself.

I guess Young should have just stood there and let the guy beat the crap out of him. :tdown: :unsure:

If I was the commish, I would have suspended Young the next game the Padres played and Lee about a dozen games. The person that throws the first punch gets the harshest penalty by a long mile.