1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chucky as head coach?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Nov 11, 2009.

?

If SD makes playoffs but doesn't play in SB should Norv get the boot?

1. Yes and replace him with some other coach

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No, he redeemed himself

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Yes and replace him with john gruden

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Norv has one three in a row. I will give him that. He has gotten our team back in the playoff race and he has been calling better plays for sure(or else we wouldn't have beat new york). However, considering Marty was booted for losing 2 straight playoff games even though he got us 14-2(with one of most talented teams ever) do you think norv can or should be booted if the Chargers don't win a super bowl?

Also, If norv is replaced, what are the chances and benefits of adding John Gruden?

Consider this scenario, norv does well in season and playoffs but falls short of the Bowl again... should we keep him?

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd love that but I doubt it. I see a rerun of last season all the way... which means all of the coaching staff's jobs are secure. :icon_evil:

Many people in here prefer quantity over quality and that's were we'er headed.

3. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Get in the tournament. If he keeps getting us in the tournament... he should be brought back.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Screw that... I want a Super Bowl Title!!!

Our guys are not going to stay young forever but you'll have many people in here that will back you up on your statement. They prefer a hand full of playoff wins over a Super Bowl.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    You can't get to the Super Bowl without first making the playoffs.

I don't necessarily agree with markos, I'd like to see a change if we don't get that far. (Super Bowl), but I know what he's getting at. (If we make the playoffs under him all the time he's bound to get there)

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It's possible but I don't like our chances. This team goes to Pittsburgh in a playoof environment, we'll be the sacrificial lamb.

And I don't agree with your playoff logic. With some coaches, that may be true but not all. I don't believe the Bucs would have won it in 02 had they stuck with Dungy.

7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    1. If we don't make the playoffs - fired

2. If we make it past the first round but no SB - If can be shown that a change in coaching philosophy increases our chances of taking it to the next level - fired

3. If we make it to the SB win or lose - If can be shown that a change in coaching philosophy increases our chances of taking it to the next level - fired

:tup:

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Just for the record, it's not really my logic...just what I am guessing he was thinking. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, markos)

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    What's the next level after winning the Super Bowl? :icon_huh:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Winning another one.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I think the Chargers would be the first sports franchise in history to fire a head coach/manager right after winning a championship.

And, if that happened, the irony of it all would be that in the end they would have been ridiculed by sports media outlets and message boards everywhere for hiring Norv, and then ridiculed by sports media outlets and message boards everywhere for firing Norv.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We're already there. Seems Norv's ONLY fans are in this forum. Fans at the games, sports bars, and other forums also feel he's holding us back.

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    If the Chargers don't win the pro bowl I want Norv packin'.

• Like Like x 1
  14. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    This thread and any thread like it suck ***. Especially at mid-season. Do any of you even enjoy the season? So busy putting up bullshit "what if" threads I don't see how you have the time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the triumps we do have during the season.

Enjoy your days before you have far too little left. I want a championship just as much as the next guy, but its not going to ruin my 16 weeks of football watching a year. I'll worry about a Super Bowl in Jan.

• Like Like x 1
  15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :tup: [​IMG]

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Thank you captain obvious.

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    wHAT do you mean by that? Like going to the playoffs every year and then getting embarrassed by the jets or patriots or steelers?

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Well, you better do you part and start voting them in if you want them to be the ones to win it. :icon_tease:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Why B4L still insists people prefer not to win a Super Bowl is beyond me.

Keep reading our minds if it makes you feel superior, B4L.

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Wow an intelligent answer for a change...
    If another coach makes us better next year... we should hire him even if the team does well. THat makes sense as opposed never changing your coach just bc you aren't bad anymore...

21. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

BC norv keeps coming up short and people still keep kissin norv's *** rain or shine. Even when we were 4-8 people defended him. Granted we made the playoffs but how often does an 8-8 team ever do that? Pure luck...

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    The problem is, it's not that simple because nobody can read the future.

If everyone could look into a crystal ball and figure out if a new coach makes them better coaching changes would be much easier.

In the case of "if we win the Super Bowl" all we have to go on is that Norv won the Super Bowl, something nobody has ever done for this franchise before.

And, by the way, that's the only scenario in which I fully support bringing Norv back next year.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    So, if I disagree with your opinion of Norv Turner that means I don't care about a Super Bowl?

Rivers has never won a Super Bowl yet you're kissing his *** in another thread saying you prefer him over a guy with two rings and another one with a ring.

You obviously do not care about winning a Super Bowl. :no:

24. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I know that. But no one ever says that the future is 100% clear. Its always.. hey Norv isn't doin to well. If we COULD get a better coach would u support it? Everyone is like no, even if we could lets just stick with norv and hope we get lucky this year...

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Keep in mind that I'm arguing from the perspective that Norv wins the Super Bowl this year.

Regardless of the odds of that happening, if it does that's a tall order to gamble on trying to "get better" when you don't know what you're getting after **** canning your Super Bowl winning head coach.

If you ask me now, I'm hardly on Norv's support team, but I wasn't arguing from that perspective.

26. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    OK? Lets see 2006 was his first year starting... He fell short against 3 time superbowl champs NE. Ben did the same in his first year starting... 2007, NE loss again... This year the Pats were the only 18-0 ever and the best Offense ever. The chargers put up a fight but LT was injured and rivers was injured in that game. They still came fairly close so He could easily have had 2 rings two.

27. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    As soon as you put that work everyone in then I know you are just talking with no thought. I support Norv as our head coach as long as he is our head coach. I have no problem if we change after the season, if Dean and AJ think it is in the best interest of the team.

28. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    That was a joke bro, someone had posted, "what's left after winning a super bowl" that's all.

29. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    COme on man... Thats like people who defend a president just because he is a president.

Like o presiden X may have molested a girl scout in office but he's our commander in chief and the war on terror so I support him...

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Norv was coaching the team in 2007, so are you telling me Norv could easily have had a ring already?

That argument regarding the Patriots being 18-0 and still putting up a fight with LT injured sounds eerily familiar.