1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chula Vista mayor says Chargers 'keeping public in the dark'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Thursday, January 29, 2009
    By Ronald W. Powell

CHULA VISTA – Mayor Cheryl Cox says the Chargers are “keeping the public in the dark” about their financial study on the costs of a stadium and need to reveal their findings for the plan to move forward.

“How are we to accomplish something without knowing what you're thinking?” Cox wrote in a letter this week to Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani. “One has to question your seriousness about getting a transaction done when you do not reveal needed information to the city manager, the mayor, to my colleagues and our staff.”

Fabiani said Cox's letter is “surprising” since he met Jan. 16 for more than an hour with City Councilman John McCann and City Manager Jim Sandoval to discuss the preliminary findings of the financial study. He said the outburst shows how much Cox opposes the Chargers' bid to come to Chula Vista.

“Her letter is bizarre,” Fabiani said. “It's no secret that Mayor Cox never supported the Chargers. She's made perfunctory public comments, but in private she has bad-mouthed the Chargers. She's done what's typical of politicians – say one thing publicly and another thing privately.”

The Chargers have been considering a 130-acre bayfront site – where the South Bay Power Plant operates – as a possible location for a new stadium, and Fabiani said the dust-up with Cox does not dampen the team's interest. He said the team plans to continue work on the financial report.

“We can't afford not to continue working in Chula Vista,” he said.

Cox said she wrote the letter because she is being criticized by the public for a lack of action on the stadium issue. She said the Chargers are at fault for not sharing their economic information about the stadium because the primary site they are considering, as well as two potential sites, are on public land.

She said she is a Chargers fan and “I love going to the games.” But she said she must separate that from the business of assessing a stadium proposal, and that any decision regarding the stadium cannot be made in secret.

“The public needs to have this information,” she said.
    Cox's colleagues on the council said they are in no hurry to hear from the team.

McCann, a vocal supporter of the stadium, said Cox's letter “made no sense” because he has been in constant contact with the team for months. While Cox said the city manager had been excluded from talks with the Chargers, McCann said the Jan. 16 meeting shows that is not true.

“I'm flabbergasted as to why she would send out a letter like this,” McCann said. “To pull out of this economic crisis we're in, we need to get projects like the Chargers, and we need to work collaboratively and create a welcoming environment.”
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Are the any politicians in SD county that do not have their heads up their asses? :icon_shrug:
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    Well, there is rumor that some do not have their heads up THEIR asses...:lol:
  4. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I think its their thumbs. :yes::tup:
  5. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Dec 17, 2006
    This is not encouraging.
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Great. Not what we needed to hear. :tdown:
  7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Nov 11, 2007

The Port and a Pre-Emptive Strike

Published: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:31 PM PST

The San Diego Unified Port District looks like it's still a little freaked out about the ballot measure from November that would have put a huge deck on top of the Tenth Avenue Marine Terminal. The deck would have allowed, perhaps, something like a football stadium to be constructed on top of existing port cargo operations.

The measure, obviously, ate dirt. The developers of this dreamy construction project couldn't even get the builders' interest groups on board. And the developers themselves started fighting. Voters ended up sending the measure back to the cooks like a hamburger with a smushed cockroach on top.

But did the measure actually draw a road map for other groups that might have a better plan to put forward to voters?

The port doesn't want to find out. It's going to try to make it impossible to do a ballot measure like that in the future.

The port held its annual luncheon and bid farewell to outgoing Chairman Michael Bixler today. And in his remarks, Bixler made a bit of news.

He discussed the frustrating debacle the port had with the developers who wanted to build the deck on top of the port's most prized property.

"We are pursuing legislation to ensure none of us have to go through this again," he said.

And later, when the port's vice president, Irene McCormack, made her own statement, she wondered aloud how anyone could have ever hoped to put a Chargers football stadium on the Tenth Avenue property.

"Voters made sure it didn't happen in November. With your help, we'll make sure it never happens," McCormack said.

Bring it on, Chargers.

What would such legislation entail? Since the port is actually the local administrator of state tidelands, the theory is that those lands should only be manipulated by a ballot measure on the state level, if at all.

This will be something to watch.

After all, it wasn't inconceivable to imagine the ballot measure in November doing better than it did. Had it been proposed by a bit more competent of a group, with a bit more support from, say, a successful and newly popular football team, it could have been triumphant.

Very interesting.

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    If this will make anybody feel better...

I remember back in Baltimore when the battle began to bring NFL back to Baltimore, there were similar types of press.
    Camden Yards used to be a very ugly and crime ridden area. That's now where the Orioles and Ravens play. Building "Oriole Park at Camden Yards" was easy. Because it was all abandon buildings. M&T Bank Stadium was a different story.

On that property was one of the most famous night clubs/concert halls in the nation, known as "Hammerjacks." This club was legendary. It had a capacity of 4,000. Any 80's band you can think of played there... Guns N Roses used to say that was their favorite club. It didn't matter who was playing there. It was ALWAYS sold out!!! Plus always 21+. $$$$$$$$
    Last show I saw there was around 97. It was Marilyn Manson. At that time, they were huge!!

Anyway.. it took several court cases and Hammerjacks kept winning. Eventually, it took an out of court settlement for Hammerjacks and other businesses around it to submit the property.

Does anybody else (with money) want to keep the Chargers in San Diego?
    The point I'm getting to is that one way or another, we'll hear about several court cases before something happens.

I have a friend who lived in Arizona and saw that whole deal with the Cardinals. He said that for several years, "all you would see in the local papers is where the Cardinals are moving to."

I'm not saying I have the answers. I'm saying that this kind of stuff isn't unusual. LET'S HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!
  9. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC McCoy and Pags Should Pack Their Bags

Nov 12, 2007
    Ah, good ol' Hammerjacks...remember it fondly :yes:

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Oct 13, 2006
    I have so many great memories of that place!!!! MANY!!! :yes: :tup:
  11. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Dec 29, 2008
    In the economic condition this state is in maybe a stadium project could create some jobs. DUH! Holy cheese will these silly polotic lickers get ever get to real work on this?