1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chula Vista Stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Nov 29, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Did anyone go to the CV Stadium meeting yesterday. I would love to hear some insight.

Chargers.com posted the following article regarding the meeting...Sounds as if it's all go, pending a decision on which site and of course voter approval.

From Chargers.com

Two artist renderings greeted people that entered the Chula Vista Public Library auditorium Wednesday night for the Chula Vista Stadium Study Town Hall meeting.

One depicted a stadium on the Chula Vista bay front. The other was a similar stadium on vacant land in the east side of town in Otay Mesa along State Route 125.

When both ideas were explained to the audience, the plans were met with applause, especially after Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani and Chula Vista Counsilman John McCann, an advocate of the project, emphasized no public funding would be used for the privately built stadium.

“I’m for a new stadium and keeping the Chargers in San Diego County,” said Mike Cain, a Chula Vista resident that arrived early to sit up front. “I just wanted to know there will be no tax dollars used.”

In Chula Vista, the debate appeared to be more about where to build the stadium than should the city proceed as a partner with the Chargers to build that would be a state-of-the-art stadium. Such a facility would be home to the Chargers, San Diego State football, the Holiday Bowl and Poinsettia Bowl, possible future Super Bowls and other sporting events.

At the end of the meeting, a member of the public called for a vote by a show of hands. Approximately 45 people voted for the bay front site and 20 for the eastside. Seven people voted against the stadium. There were 20 hands raised that to vote they wanted a stadium but didn’t care which site.

McCann said that once the Chargers agreed to pay for the study of the project, at a cost of $200,000, and agreed to not negotiate with any city outside of San Diego County, the city began studying its options.

“We want this process to be transparent,” McCann said. “The bottom line is the city of Chula Vista has not spent any taxpayer money on processing these plans. The Chargers have paid for the study and it has not cost Chula Vista any money.”

Fabiani also explained that it has been the Chargers’ goal since the beginning to privately fund the project.

“We’re going to put everything about this project on the ballot,” Fabiani said. “There won’t be anything left to guesswork.”

McCann discussed plusses and minuses to both sites.

He described the aging power plan on the water front as an eyesore that could be replaced by the new stadium with a 100-acre park surrounding it. He explained the waterfront site offers more existing infrastructure with Interstate-5 and the trolley lines. Another advantage of the site is there are no residential homes to be knocked down and displace people.

The park would be used year-round with cars parking on the grass on game days. This would be in contrast to a paved over parking lot that sits empty most of the year as is the case with the Qualcomm Stadium site where the Chargers play now.

McCann and Fabiani also said the trolley lines could be expanded to the stadium site and the Coaster commuter trains from North County could be extended to Chula Vista. He also said people could enter the stadium site on a ferry from Coronado.

“Can we be the impetus that finally results in the elimination of the power plant on the bay front more quickly than it would otherwise?” Fabiani said. “If so, is that worth something to you? Can we be the the reason a park is built around the stadium instead of a parking lot?”

Laura Hunter of the Environmental Health Coalition and Jim Peugh of the Audubon Society both spoke at the meeting, objecting to building projects of any kind on the bay front site.

McCann said a benefit of building the stadium on the east side of town is the stadium would fit in with the nearby Olympic Training Center. He also said a stadium, that would also be used by San Diego State, could be an anchor to a south campus for San Diego State or another four-year school campus.

“There is no four-year university south of Highway 94,” McCann said. “I don’t know of another population area as large as ours without a four-year university for the community.”

Most of the questions raised at the town hall meeting centered on assurances there would be no public funding and the appropriate infrastructure would be included in the planning to prevent traffic congestion.

Victor Contreras was another citizen attending the meeting. He wanted to know if the stadium construction project could be connected to the Sweetwater Union High School District to provide vocational training as well as jobs for local construction companies.

“I think this can be a win for the school district and a win for the community,” Contreras said. “I would be extremely interested in seeing that kind of development. And it’s a win for the Chargers.”

Contreras’ idea was met with applause, and Fabiani, who opened the town hall meeting by saying he was there to hear ideas from the public, asked him for his card to explore his ideas.

“One of the things that’s exciting about this project is we’ll be starting from scratch,” Fabiani said. “We can do things that have never been done before. We can build a “green” stadium that is environmentally neutral. It’s been done in Europe with soccer stadiums with current technology. We want to design something for the community that makes a lot of sense.”

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    This is exciting! I just don't know about parking on grass...won't that get obliterated and look ugly? I can imagine cars getting stuck in mud on rainy days, and nice shoes getting ruined. Also, wouldn't it have to be replaced every few weeks?

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    For the raiders game, I left Temecula at 0800, sat in traffic for what seems like 15 hours...By the time we got into the stadium, we were forced to park on the old practice field (yep, about 800 miles from the stadium).

The grass was finely cut and you couldn't even see tire tracks...And, it was much cooler on the grass and better on the feet. If they plant the right grass and keep it finely cut after it has matured, it shouldn't be a problem...Now once it gets wet and the drunks start throwing brodies around...Thats a different story.

TBF

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't count out Mission Valley yet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071120-9999-1m20bar.html

Bar launches Aguirre inquiry

The State Bar of California has opened an investigation into San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre, according to five people who have been interviewed by bar investigators.
    Update
    A top assistant to San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre said Tuesday he knows nothing about whether or why the State Bar of California is investigating his boss.

“I know nothing more than what I read in the paper,” Assistant City Attorney Don McGrath said at a news conference, adding that Aguirre has “never said one word to me about anything about the state bar.”

Aguirre was in New York today and unavailable for comment, his spokeswoman said.

McGrath's statements came on the day the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the bar has opened an investigation into Aguirre's conduct while in office. The paper quoted five people who have been interviewed by state bar investigators who were asking questions about Aguirre's legal work, public statements and other issues.

One of the people quoted was Rupert Linley, whom Aguirre hired and later fired as head of the office's criminal division. Linley said he spoke to two investigators for about 90 minutes, giving them information about how Aguirre conducted himself as a prosecutor.

McGrath criticized Linely for speaking publicly about the investigation, saying it was inappropriate to do so because the investigation is supposed to be confidential.

“I was shocked that he would say anything,” McGrath said....“I just can't believe he's that bitter that he would spit something out that he thinks is going on.”

- Alex Roth

OVERVIEW

Background: The State Bar of California, which licenses and disciplines the state's 158,000 active lawyers, is investigating the conduct of San Diego City Attorney Michael Aguirre.

What's happening: No one can say precisely what the inquiry is about, but state bar investigators have been asking questions about Aguirre's legal work, public statements and other conduct.

Possible outcomes: Only a fraction of the bar's investigations result in disciplinary charges. Conviction, however, can result in punishment ranging from a reprimand to disbarment.

The focus of the inquiry is unclear, but the investigators have been asking questions about a wide range of issues involving Aguirre's legal work, public statements and other conduct.

Rupert Linley, one of Aguirre's former top deputies, said Los Angeles-based bar association investigators contacted him two weeks ago. Paul Cooper, another former assistant city attorney, said he was contacted about 10 days ago.

Three other people also confirmed that they have been interviewed by a state bar investigator. They requested anonymity because they didn't want to comment publicly on such a sensitive case.

Two said the investigators seemed interested in whether Aguirre had ever taken any action or made any public statements that were contrary to the interests of the city. Another – a former lawyer in Aguirre's office – said an investigator asked whether Aguirre ever discussed seeking approval from the City Council before filing various lawsuits.

Reached on his cell phone last night, Aguirre said he had “nothing to say.” Bar officials declined to confirm whether an investigation is under way. In general, the bar doesn't discuss an investigation publicly unless it files disciplinary charges.

San Diego lawyer David Carr, a former state bar prosecutor who now defends lawyers accused of professional misconduct, cautioned against drawing conclusions of wrongdoing simply because investigators are asking questions.

“They've opened investigations on many high-profile people, and very few of those have resulted in any charges,” Carr said.

The bar files charges only if an investigation uncovers “probable misconduct.” Punishment for a conviction ranges from a reprimand to a law-license suspension to disbarment.

Linley, whom Aguirre hired and later fired as head of the city attorney's criminal division, said investigators interviewed him for about 90 minutes.

Among other issues, Linley said he and the investigators discussed a court declaration in which Linley stated, “It was my experience serving as assistant city attorney under Michael Aguirre that he sought to use the criminal authority of his office to attack people whom he believed to be his enemies.”

This year, lawyers for Sunroad Enterprises used Linley's declaration to have Aguirre's office removed from prosecuting a Sunroad executive whom Aguirre accused of violating a local lobbying law. A judge sided with Sunroad and refused to let Aguirre prosecute the case, citing Aguirre's “intense personal involvement” and the potential for an “abuse of prosecutorial authority” by Aguirre and his staff.

A lawyer who was contacted by a state bar investigator several weeks ago said the investigator spent more than an hour asking about a number of issues. The lawyer declined to reveal details of what was discussed.

Russell Weiner, deputy chief trial counsel for the state bar in Los Angeles, noted that only a small percentage of the bar's investigations result in the filing of disciplinary charges.

In 2006, the bar received 11,647 formal complaints, opened an investigation in 3,151 cases and filed disciplinary charges in 369 cases, according to a state bar report.

Given Aguirre's high-profile position as a public figure, it is almost inevitable that people who disagree with his approach will be tempted to accuse him of misconduct and report him to the bar, said Carr, the former bar prosecutor.

“If there weren't complaints, something would be strange,” Carr said.

Cooper, who is San Diego Police Chief William Lansdowne's legal adviser, said he spoke to a state bar investigator for about 20 minutes. Cooper used to work in the City Attorney's Office, but Aguirre fired him shortly after taking office in December 2004.

Cooper said the investigator asked about Aguirre's “behavior.”

“I don't think I gave him anything specific,” Cooper said, adding that he worked under Aguirre only a short time and wasn't in a position to comment on Aguirre's behavior within the office.

5. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Part 1

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAbyAyRujEo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wAbyAyRujEo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 2

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d03J2vPYmCw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d03J2vPYmCw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

6. Mid-west Chargers fan

Mid-west Chargers fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I can remember all of the UCLA Bruin games that I went to at the Rose Bowl. Parking for the games was at a local golf course called Brookside Country Club. This also includes people parking for the actual Rose Bowl game on New Years Day. There was never a problem the day after games and any damage was minimal and easily repaired. Grass in SoCal recovers quickly as long as it is properly irrigated.

Now, if you were to park vehicles on grass for an event out here in the mid-west, you would have ruts and tire tracks all over the place because the soil is much more soft (not to mention stuck cars).

No, parking on grass is a very useful alternative!!

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Chula Vista by the Bay seems pretty cool. Parking on the grass in a park should be no problem and would be pretty good for tailgating.

For the first time in about 3 years I am starting to get a good feeling this new stadium may happen.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    IF they build it on the power plant site it will rule. I have ALWAYS wanted the new stadium to be on the bayfront, IMO, that's truly where it belongs. Too bad the city of SD is so fubared that we couldn't have a new stadium across the street from Petco.

Gotta agree w/ Aspen, it's starting to look good. Keep you fingers and toes crossed.

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Hi PowderLove. Greetings from Kansas City. This is my first post after I arrived in the USA yesterday evening. Parking lots on grass are a fine thing. You don't have grass all over you have special plasterstones (I don't know the english word) for the wheels to stay and between them grows grass. Underneath there"s some sort of small stones that raining water can flow to the underground very quickly and you don't get a muddy place. The only miscue is when cars loose oil etc . THis drops to the soil. A environmental proofed stadium would be fantasic in Chula Vista.

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Ok...sounds good as long as long as it doesn't get messy. :tup:

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    did anyone take any pic's of the Two artist renderings of the stadium
    ????? rep 4 u if you have them and post them :tup::tup:

12. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I honestly dont get these *** clowns who want teams to build their cities a new stadium, give it to the city, and allow the city to charge the team AND ALL OTHER VENUES THAT USE THE STADIUM rent.

The cities prosper from the stadiums, own them, and these mental giants want the teams to pay for it all?

Would you guys pay to have a house built so you can rent it?

Stupidity!

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Agree...San Diego is known for our weather and the pacific ocean. Why put the stadium out east (IMO, last resort only)...

CV in that area will thrive...Hell, without traffic, it's only a 7 minute drive @ 80 mph down the 5 to downtown SD...Ok...Maybe a little more then 7 minutes, but you get my point.

This is a great location for all of San Diego. It will suck for me as my commute will increase by at least 10-15 minutes, but it's only 12 weeks outta the year taking into account that we have two playoff games.

T Bizzle

16. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Or how bout the idiot that says building a new state of the art stadium will have negative effects on the environment and say that the power plant that's currently on the location is ok?!!!

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, gotta love that.:no:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As both an outsider & an environmentalist, I don't see how building this stadium can do anything BUT improve the current site. We're talking about removing an eyesore & environmentally unfriendly power plant & salt factory to build a "green" stadium & surrounding space? If done properly, the stadium can be energy self-sufficient & possibly even add power back into the grid on days when not in use.

I hope that this can get done on the bayfront site in CV.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The thing that makes me laugh is when people keep bringing up traffic as an issue. Eight Sundays a year.

20. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    An environmentalist is somebody that already has a cabin in the woods.

21. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah, no kidding, good point. And it's not like it's on Monday morning rush hour. We're talking SUNDAY afternoon or evenings (or Monday night) As you all know, I live near the Otay area but I would love to have it near the bay. San Diego and a waterfront background are just perfect for promoting tourism, etc. Not to mention it would look good when we host those Super Bowls. Also, I wouldn't have to get on the Freeway to get to the Stadium. :yes:

22. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    It appears that our civic leaders are actually coming together to come up with a "plan b" should the plans to build a stadium in Chula Vista fail.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071221-9999-1m21chargers.html

Having seen what Petco Park has done to East Village and the Gaslamp District, I for one would welcome a 10th Avenue stadium!!!

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm a died in the wool environmentalist and the exact same question occurred to me a while ago. Stadiums are far cleaner than power plants, but it remains to be seen if a lot of environmental clean up has to be done to the site before the construction begins. That power plant has been their for a while. They had also better be prepared for another factor that will most certainly be a serious problem in the future if they don't account for it-rising sea levels. That said, was any mention made of adding boat docks to the bay side fringe of the stadium? Talk about an awesome tailgate. Wouldn't want a full blown yatch club, just a tie up spot that rented out the spaces during games and other events.

24. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    You don't think we're gonna make the playoffs after we build the stadium?
    :lol:

25. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Hmmm...by then we might not have LT. It depends on whether Bruce Henderson or some other schmuck starts and keeps suing the Chargers/San Diego/anyone.

26. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    If Henderson comes out from under his rock, where he languishes in political obscurity, he probably won't have much of an effect. He doesn't live in CV. Aguirre is up here,too, and apparently under investigation by the state bar. That being said, considering all the things that have to happen even if CV and the Chargers get together on this, LT could be in the hall of fame on opening day and some kid who just got his first regulation sized football for Christmas could be a 20 something number toting the rock for us-21 will not be available. Besides, if it's true that AJ's piss cures cancer, then he will be drafting for us in the 22nd Century and we'll be just fine.

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    They have that in Jacksonville, and it looked pretty damned cool!

28. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    Are you serious?

29. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, there are so many stupid people in this world.

How can ANYONE in the business sector OR city government not think that building this stadium is a great idea? Jesus H. Puffnstuff, take them to downtown SD or Glendale AZ and let them walk 5 block in every direction away from Petco Park or the Cards new stadium and see if they see the positive effects of a new stadium.

This whole thing is soooooo maddening. Just ****ing build it for Christsakes!!!!

:mad:

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Forums really accentuate the fact that mankind is loaded with stupid people.

I read more philosophies of life and shutter to think that this is reality.

Mankind is doomed.:lol: