1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

City wastes more $ on the Q

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lightning, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Elite secuity given a contract for a 24 hour security at the Q for $350,369.00 altough this was not the highest bid on the contract it was in the midddle and when the city needs to be cutting corners wherever they can this reeks of cronyism. On top of which this is for a two man crew for 24 hours a day...purely guessing here but at eight men at a guessed number of 30,000 a year a piece, that's 240,000 so either they are going to be paid a lot more than 30 grand each or there is a whole lot of padding going on for "management" expenses.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Sweet. More jobs for the citizens of San Diego!

3. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    really?....um, no....it's not. It was for a contract that they were performing already, that was originally going to be renewed to them without a bidding process through the year 2035 until it was exposed that the city was not going to use a proper bidding process to award the contract to them. After the bids were put in the contract was still awarded to elite even though there were 5 bids lower than theirs.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    sweet! More job security for San diegans!

5. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    seriously? ....What part of the fact that it doesn't equate to "more" jobs of any kind do you not understand? ....or are you just trying to be funny?

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I think Leo is trying to say that for the ones who have a job through Elite that their Jobs are for the most part Secure with the new Contract that is now in place.

I like this new Contract myself because I get to see the same Kind of Security while at SDSU events not just Chargers Games. There is even other events that go on at the Q that will be given the Security from Elite which is consistency instead of going with another company and not have the consistency.

Just my opinion is that San Diego and the Q wanted consistency and that is why they kept with Elite.

7. Lightning

Ratings:
    +37
    If you think that's what leo is saying, so be it but in my opinion he either doesn't understand the topic or is purposely being silly about it for some other reason. As far as your thoughts on this turbo, you probably are correct in the sense of wanting consistency but the way they went about trying to push the contract through without the proper open bidding process was a wrong way for the city to conduct business to begin with and the fact that they could have saved a cash strapped city by legitimately awarding the bid to a contractor that could do the job just as well for a lower cost shows that they do not fiscally have the best interests of the city in their intentions.....but we all knew that they don't already, don't we....haha.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You think a game with only 15-20k people at it warrants the same security as one with 60-65k at it?

By the way, I say F' consistency. The city is broke and should be looking to use every single penny as wise as they can. If another company bid less and can do the same job, they should be required to take the lower bib

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    okay there are times that you get what you pay for. Elite has proved that they can do the job, and the city is happy with the job that is being done.

There are a lot of homeless people living in and around the stadium, sounds like the city does not want them moving into the stadium

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is all about a contract. The city makes a list of everything they expect, or everything that is currently being done that they are happy with. Companies accept these terms and place their bids. The city should be required to take the lowest offer, so tax dollars are conserved, and if the company doesn't live up to the contract or standards, then they have breached the contract, and the city finds another company that can meet the standards of the contract.

But just selecting a company because they are familiar, even though they cost more, is ridiculous

11. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Lowest price is not always the best deal. I am pretty sure the Rolling Stones will never hire the Hells Angels as concert security again even if they are the lowest bid. If Elite has been doing the job well for years and the city is happy with the results that has to count for something. I agree the bid prosses is there for a reason, but there is no requirement to accept the lowest bidder.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As long as the lowest bid is doing the same job, then that is who they should take

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Could it be that Elite uses retired, former and off-duty police officers for their security and the el=cheapos use minimum wage ham and eggers to fill their ranks???? Just asking.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Most of the rent-a-cops (Elite) at the Chargers games are active duty military. I know several that I worked with when I was in who did it to make some extra money

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    At least military personnel should know how to take care of themselves and do crowd control of some sort. They are way beyond flipping burgers for a living.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, navy people don't get taught any of that stuff. They know no more about that stuff than the average person off the street

17. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    You get what you pay for.