1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clark Judge and Pete Prisco have AJ's back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dude, even the Charger hating Prisco can agree VJ is a retard, man, I'm sorta afraid to walk outside.

Pay attention AJ haters: This is the kind of RESPECT AJ has EARNED by sticking to his guns and not rolling over and letting players buttfuck the team.

edit: upgraded avatar to celebrate AJ's victory today

• Like Like x 2
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. Once AJ and his people have made a determination on a player's value, that's it. VJ and his agent want it both ways. They want to claim that VJ is worth 5 years/50 mil, but that trading for him is not worth a 2011 2nd and 2012 3rd. That's ridiculous. If VJ and his agent were willing to negotiate a reasonable long-term deal with one of these teams, then one of the teams would have more than likely coughed up the draft picks that AJ wanted. But VJ and his moronic representatives have priced VJ out of the market, and then they want to blame AJ for not agreeing to get raped in a trade so their client doesn't have to sign for less than they want. AJ is holding all the cards and they think they are in a strong negotiating position.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    That Denver what's his fawk dude isn't going to like this.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    hey. I agree with you here. So don't think I'm jumping on you on the matthews injury thing. Its better to be careful with injurys. Its a long season. WEre gonna need matthews down the road.

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Whats funny to me is we all have one thing in common with VJ we are all making the same amount of money playing professional footbal right now and that is NOTHING. One big difference is VJ has an agent getting him nothing and we are all representing ourselves and getting nothing too. Great move VJ you just tooled yourself.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    As Trumpy has stated many times, THIS might not help the Chargers now, but it will definitely will help them in future negotiations, YO DO NOT SCREW AROUND WITH AJ

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    F all you AJ haters...

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No kidding.

People in their everyday jobs have managers who are either Straight Shooters or they are WORMS.

I would rather have a manager tell me I suck to my face versus behind my back.

Not many people can handle straight shooters because the straight shooter does not have time to coddle your sack as a WORM would do. WORMS are backstabbers (not unlike posters in a forum)

10. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    "Jackson must have missed the memo, so he kept pushing ... and he failed. Too bad, but that's the risk you take when you challenge Smith and the Chargers. That doesn't make them bad guys. On the contrary, it makes them easy to read. When Smith tells you something, you can bank on it -- and Jackson and his agents didn't do their homework.

Heck, all you had to do was study how Smith handled the 2005 negotiations with tight end Antonio Gates to know you don't bully him or his organization. But Jackson didn't, and now he needs someone to blame. So his agents throw rocks at Smith, calling him "The Lord of no [Super Bowl] Rings," and wonder why he didn't cooperate with them and deal their client to Minnesota."

Couldn't agree more. AJ is completely predictable and he doesn't back down. You know exactly what you're going to get. He doesn't play games but agents still want to test him.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And by the way ...........

VJ's agents are doing a GREAT JOB yet no one seems to see it.

Time to bookmark this post and revisit it when VJ finally signs his next contract.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    BBBB post...

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Perhaps you should be more specific. It sounds like you are claiming that when VJ signs his deal he will be making more money. More money than what? You need to lay down some specific parameters if you want to claim later that you were right.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I did in another thread a few minutes ago and in others...............

Lets do some basic math here because some are in the same camp with you.

2 years of lost income = $3.2 mil + $11 mil (assume he is franchise tagged next year) but doesn't sign the F-tender.

That is $14.2 million not earned potentially in two years.

Add compound interest just to sound cool doing this forum math exercise and the dude has lost $17 million for the sake of argument.

VJ's next contract according to rumor is $30 million guaranteed (forget the total contract because it is usually inflated BS numbers never attained).

Assume VJ gets only $25 million guaranteed and not the $30 he seeks because ..... well just because (lower it to $20mil if you wish).

Herein lies the rub : VJ FOREGOS $17 million this year and next to make about $20-$25 million guaranteed 2 years down the road.

This assumes he is traded or signs a long term deal.

All this just by doing what his agent has advised him to do and that is to sit.

Pretty clever.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Are you drunk posting again??

you need to average the lost years in there somewhere. He signs a four year contract for 25mil and its really about 4mil a year if you consider the lost years.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I doubt AJ was going to lose any sleep over what V Jackoffson agent's had to say. He probably got a good laugh out of it.

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Bringing the pigs back down to earth.....Michael Silver is still dedicated to embarrassing himself.

18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    This is fun

After I resigned myself to VJ being gone I've actually enjoyed watching him and his agents self destruct in a sick sort of way. More drams please.

19. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Rams G.M. says Chargers weren't unreasonable

Posted by Mike Florio on September 23, 2010 11:32 AM ET

A day after the agents representing Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson teed off on the team and G.M. A.J. Smith for failing to trade Jackson to one of the teams that has worked out a contract with the holdout wideout, Rams G.M. Billy Devaney defended the Chargers for holding firm in their demands.

"We never got really deep into it," Devaney told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "But I thought if you're willing to pay the money for the guy, the draft picks the Chargers were talking about were not unreasonable."

Devaney's logic makes sense, but it doesn't explain why the Chargers would want a second-round pick and a third-round pick for a guy whom they're willing to pay only the absolute minimum under the labor deal. Indeed, if the Chargers had such a high opinion of Jackson, this would be the perfect time for G.M. A.J. Smith to call Jackson's agents and offer to match the one-year contract or the long-term package they had negotiated elsewhere.

It actually would be a great deal for the Chargers, since the teams involved presumably were willing to offer less money than they'd pay if they didn't have to also send draft picks to the Chargers. San Diego could now have one of those deals without giving up any picks.

Meanwhile, because G.M. A.J. Smith isn't talking, it's impossible to know why he did what he did, or whether he'll now try to sign Jackson to one of the deals that the other teams had negotiated.

Of course, there's a good chance that Jackson's camp would jack up the price if the Chargers suddenly want to do a deal on the terms that had been negotiated elsewhere. But that shouldn't matter. If, as Jackson claims, he "just want to play football," he should be willing to take from the Chargers whatever he would have gotten from a new team.

At a minimum, offering to match the offers Jackson finagled elsewhere would be a great way for Smith and the Chargers to convince the folks who didn't buy roughly 8,000 seats last weekend that the team is willing to make a fair financial commitment to its players at a time when the team is hoping that the fans will make a fair financial commitment to the team.

Especially since the clear message absent such a move is that the Chargers, who as of last Friday were in the bottom fourth of the league in player spending for the uncapped year, want to take as much money as possible in, but they don't want to invest as much as other teams are investing in ensuring that the best possible product takes the field each week.

20. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Umm... NO, he loses 17 million, let's say he plays this year and next for the 14million (17 with interes) and lets assume (odds are) he plays like a pro-bowler and doesn't get hurt, then he still gets the big contract (maybe bigger) AFTER he gets the 14/17 million

21. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I bet that TJ Simers wannabe Jay Paris got wood because his lame little nickname is making the rounds. How many current GMs have rings? Why does AJ have to wear that like he's the only GM out there who hasn't won a title?

22. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Well, this just in, guys: A.J. Smith doesn't work for you or Vincent Jackson. He does what he thinks is best for the San Diego Chargers, and what he thought was best was getting two draft picks -- a second and third -- in return for him.

So that scared off Minnesota. Big deal. Smith didn't put Jackson in this corner. Vincent Jackson did. And to think that the Chargers would lower their demands to satisfy an unhappy camper is not only naive and illogical, it's downright stupid.

Listen, I like AJ, and I agree with the above quote, but the Chargers shouldn't trade VJ to make him happy, they should have traded him because it was worth more to them to make this deal than to sit on him. We can debate if I am correct all we want, if we compensation, if VJ will truly be a FA next year, etc. But in my opinion, if I were GM, I would have seen a 2nd plus anything would be worth more than what I have now. I would assume that I will get a 3rd round compensation for VJ, so upgrading to a 2 would be a good deal in my book. I'm moving on, but wish we would have taken the trade which appears to have been offered.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It amazes me how many pundits misinterpret AJ's approach. He did not lower tenders on VJ and McNeill to be punitive. He wanted the team to be able to move forward knowing which players they could count on having. He wanted to limit the distractions to the team. So he told them to sign their tenders or they would be lowered. The two players chose not to sign the tenders. That's life.

As I've said before, VJ's agents want it both ways. They want to say that VJ is worth 30 mil guaranteed (more than Marshall got), but then they also want to say AJ is being unreasonable by demanding a 2nd and 3rd pick for VJ (less than what the Broncos got for Marshall). The reality is that if VJ had lowered his long-term contract demands, a team more than likely would have coughed up the picks the Chargers were looking for. But Jackson's agents are refusing to accept a long-term deal below what they promised their client, so they try to vilify AJ because they can't negotiate an appropriate long-term deal for their client.

If VJ was handling this situation properly, he'd come out and say, "I know I've made mistakes that have hurt my reputation. I'm willing to sign an incentive-laden deal so that I can go out and prove those problems are behind me." Instead, VJ wants to pretend like he's done nothing wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sliver is a name-dropping douche nozzle. The guy is more interested in telling you about which NFL stars he trades text messages with than being an objective reporter. And he's always had a hard-on for AJ. So why am I not surprised?

The thing that I find so annoying is that if Belichick was treating VJ the same way, he would be lauded for his tough, hard-nosed approach. But the media are a bunch of sheep. Once a narrative is established, it just gets repeated over and over again until it becomes "true." Sort of like the "Rivers is an arrogant punk" meme. It doesn't matter if it's true. It only matters how many times it gets repeated.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The way I see it, the primary consideration: "Is a 2nd round pick worth relinquishing the rights to a pro bowl receiver?" The Chargers are deciding that it is not. If the new CBA looks anything like the old CBA, the Bolts could franchise VJ once the labor dispute has been resolved, and more than likely still trade him for a 2nd round pick. In the mean time, they don't have to worry about trading VJ to a potential SB contender.

I think another determination AJ is making is that once the labor dispute is resolved it will be easier for VJ to attain a long-term deal. If he can get a long-term deal from another team, then that team would obviously be willing to give up more in a trade. So AJ has decided that he's going to wait. The other potential reason AJ has for waiting is that the Vikings might become even more desperate if they lose another game or two. If that happens, they might meet his demands. I for one can understand AJ's position. I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as "accept a 2nd now or only get a 3rd round compensatory pick." There are other possible scenarios.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Agreed. I had so many laughs yesterday. Between the Agents throwing hissy fits, VJ's proclamation about this deal being "unethical", to the multitude of insanely butthurt retarded Charger "fans" calling the radio and crying.

It was like dining @ a LULZ Buffet.

27. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    why not trade jackson for sidney rice?

28. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, I'm guessing one reason would be is that the Vikes did not offer him in a trade.

29. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    O. That would be a fair trade though.