1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clary article

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    New situation, same approach - Chargers.com

Last spring, Chargers offensive tackle Jeromey Clary spent countless afternoons at Chargers Park working with offensive line coach Hal Hunter in hopes of improving his technique enough to earn a roster spot.

A year later, Clary’s football status is much different, but he can still be found in that same spot on the Chargers practice field nearly every afternoon.

“Jeromey is one of the hardest working guys we have,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He understands that his work paid off a year ago and it’s going to continue to pay off for him.”

As he begins his third NFL season, Clary can figuratively exhale as for the first time in his professional career he’s got a little job security.

“It’s completely different,” Clary said. “It’s a good feeling. Now I’m in control of my situation. Last year I didn’t have any clue about my destiny. I was trying to fight just to make the final 53. This year I feel like I already have my spot. I’ve just got to keep working to keep it.”

Clary’s effort played a role in that and his play caught the eye of his coaches.

“For a young guy, he made very few errors and was very consistent,” Turner said. “I think he can get a lot better.”

Clary agrees with his head coach’s assessment. While he’s penciled in as the starter at right tackle heading into 2007, Clary is motivated to become a much better player.

“I’ve still got a chip on my shoulder because I don’t think I played as well as I needed to (last year),” Clary said. “I played well, but I didn’t play as well as I could. I’ve still got a lot of room for improvement. I’m looking forward to the season and playing more like a veteran than a first-year guy.”

“I think last year I was really lacking in run blocking,” Clary said. “In pass protection, my hands were wide a lot. I’ve been working on getting my hands quicker and those things. I’m still recovering from my surgery, but I’m feeling good. Where I’ve seen a lot of improvement is my hands. Hopefully I’ll be a lot better. I’m glad I’ve got a chance to.”

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Our line is a lot more solid going into the season this year. They have experience with the system and each other. Newberry will have time to meld with the unit during camp if Hardwick is going to miss any of the season. Clary is a candidate for our most improved player, along with Davis and Naanee.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Why is that? Yes, we have the Hardwick injury, but we have some depth,too. I guess you don't expect Shelton or Newberry to have any positive effect?

4. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    I feel alot better after signing Newberry and adding Shelton than I did when the season ended. I think we are sitting better than we were last season.

5. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    :icon_shrug:

I think the OL will be better, and deeper this year.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  7. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Every year that Marcus McNeill and Kris Dielman puts under their belt means this line is more solid than the last. They get smarter and more crafty as time goes on, as o-lineman usually do. They already have the talent.

Clary, even while inconsistent last year, made a tangible difference. He's only going to get better, and he has far, FAR more upside than Olivea did at tackle.

Newberry > Withrow, maybe even Hardwick :icon_eek:

I think we're more solid without a doubt.

8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Bingo .....

I'm looking forward to watching him grow as a player. I think even the detractors are going to be happy with him this coming season.

9. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Great attitude by Clary and shows how much he wants to succeed with the Chargers.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I speak from the perspective of the shedding of Oliviea, who had some misplaced faith in. Clary is better. Newberry is a wise investment and even Shelton is better than Olivea. I also include Eric Robertson in the mix. Until proved different, I think the Illustrated Man will surprise a lot of folks.