1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clary may be gone for the year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Clary has surgery, could miss season
    Chargers guard underwent second operation on hip
    By Michael Gehlken
    5:10 P.M.AUG. 31, 2014

A recent surgery has cast doubt on whether Jeromey Clary will play this season.

The Chargers guard underwent hip surgery about a week ago, sources said. It's his second such operation in three months and third overall in the past six. Although the Physically Unable to Perform list contains a wide window in which a player can be activated and return to the field, it is not considered a lock he will play this year.

Clary, 30, played through a number of injuries last season.

He missed a January playoff loss in Denver due to a shoulder injury that required February surgery. For a good portion of the season, he played through a hip injury that worsened with time. He hoped to avoid surgery, but on May 19, after the ailment failed to respond to treatment, it was performed in Vail, Colo.

Clary would've had difficulty to return by Week 1.

This recent surgery sets him back further.

It is unclear when or if Clary will play for the team again, given this is the final year under his contract. He was due to make $4.5 million prior to accepting a July pay cut. His new $1.6 million base salary is fully guaranteed.

There are core veteran leaders in the Chargers locker room. Clary is one of them.

In the 2006 draft class, he wasn't the most talented player physically; he was selected in the sixth round, 187th overall. But he's made a career out of more intangible qualities. He primarily played right tackle in his career before moving inside to guard after the Chargers drafted tackle D.J. Fluker in the first round last year.

He slid outside to right tackle at times in 2013.

"He's tough as the day is long," offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris said this year. "He's dependable. He's honest. He's fair. He's a competitor, and he's productive. I can't give you any better words than the words I just told you. I think the guy's got a lot going for him, and he's good for our team."

The Chargers have prepared for his absence.

Johnnie Troutman worked at right guard this preseason and is expected to start in the veteran's place. In May, reserve guard Chris Watt was drafted in the third round. He is developing at center as well.

A player on PUP such as Clary is required to miss a minimum of six weeks in the regular season. A five-week window then opens during which he can return to practice at anytime. A player has 21 days from the day he begins practicing to be activated onto the 53-man roster. If either deadline passes, the player is moved to season-ending injured reserve.

Theoretically, Clary can be activated onto the 53-man roster as late as Dec. 9 for Week 14 in the regular season.

It is considered plausible he won't be.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    This could change things...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Well lets just purge ourselves of all the injury concerns now, hopefully no more this season. Clary is done and I'm wondering if he'll be cut and who'll get the now TWO remaining spots.

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Not to mention that we will probably get a lot less posts from those that hate on the guy...

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Now I'm even more surprised Harris was cut.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'm not, Having Troutman, Ohrenberger, Smith, and Watt are all better options at RG, proof is in the stats.

just makes me think of that scene from Kindergarten cop where the little boy is naming off all the people he knows in his life that are better than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Is it possible that he's also holding photos of Telesco in "compromising" positions on
    top of the ones' he likely still has of AJ? Could they be one in the same? :eek:

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Let us just agree that perhaps Clary has a few redeemable qualities which endeared him to his teammates and his coaches under two different Chargers FO regimes.

I was often a Clary critic and detractor based on his often on the field sub par performances and brain farts. But seriously we can not blame the guy for earning paycheck above his talents, when the previous GM was the one who signed him to that contract. Let's just be civil to Clary and not make :poop: up about him anymore. However, I'm sure that there will still be quite a few fans who will cry and whine that he knew this (the severity of his injuries) all along and yet managed to fleece the Chargers out of another 1.6 Mils. To those cynics, I would urge to PLEASE STOP :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    I thought Wiggins looked solid too and he's gone (soon to be back maybe).

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Bolts never had anyone that could unseat Clary from the starting job no matter how hard the whiners cried. Now the Bolt Whining Brotherhood will have a new dawg to kick and make the most outlandish fallacious statements about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    RG isn't the question, I've been saying for months Troutman is an equal or better player, and Watt has more upside. But it's his ability to play RT in a pinch that gave Clary any value.

Harris can play both as well, I thought he'd be a natural replacement for Clary.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Well they never brought in any real competition to be honest, it was always just some geek off the street, and actually they brought in RT Dj Fluker last year who did come in and unseat Clary, which moved him to RG, and guess what? they didn't have any real competition at the spot last year.

I bet you dollar for dollar, pound for pound if Clary didn't have the locker room presence, and coaches didn't like his work ethic, he would have been gone along time ago based on just talent alone.

We all knew Clary was over paid the last 3 years, he took a paycut and things are different now, people eased off of the guy about wanting him cut. He's also out for 6 weeks which I believe the coaches were banking on worst case scenario when making the 53, so I figure they took all accounts into consideration. I am not a Clary hater but I am most certainly not the Clary apologist that many on here seem to be either, having said that I would prefer to see them move on from the position next year and I hope either Troutman or Watt help ease their decision

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Jared Gaither, not to mention many more experiments gone wrong causing a total meltdown of the Bolts under A.J. Smith and Norv. It's funny how folks will refuse to acknowledge all those players that filed right through the Bolt organization after the loss of Dielman, McNeill. They ended up with guys like Green, Schilling and on and on. It would be great if the Bolts could find the STUD Offensive and Defensive Linemen Trees. Just think, no more searching, Dean could let TT go and save the money with his new team Orchard. ;)