1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clayton not high on most AFC West QBs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Bill Williamson
    ESPN’s John Clayton ranked the NFL’s quarterbacks and he doesn’t think too much the guys under center in the AFC West -- with one notable exception. Let’s take a look at how Clayton ranks the AFC West’s signal callers:

6. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

Analysis: Rivers is a riverboat gambler. Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson may be double-covered, but Rivers will still get them the ball. Last year, he had Gates-Jackson-Malcom Floyd on the field for only about a quarter together. Watch for Rivers to have his best season.

Arrow is pointing: up

My thoughts: Regular readers of this blog know I think Rivers is one of the very best players in the NFL. So, no arguments here.

15. Matt Cassel, Kansas City Chiefs

Analysis: Cassel is almost like (Chad) Pennington, a quarterback who took four teams to the playoffs for the Jets and Dolphins. He manages the game well enough to win and get a team into the playoffs. What holds him back is the lack of a big arm and his struggles in games against elite quarterbacks.

Arrow is pointing: flat

My thoughts: I think Cassel is ranked in the right range. I think he does have a chance to improve, especially since he has so many offensive weapons around him.

20. Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos

Analysis: He outlasted Rex Grossman in Chicago. He survived a Tim Tebow challenge. Even though he might not be the people's choice in Denver, he's a good quarterback who was on pace for a 5,000-yard throwing season early last year.

Arrow is pointing: flat

My thoughts: Like Cassel, I think Orton may be ranked a tad low. He is a solid player, but I don’t know if he is the long-term answer in Denver.

23. Jason Campbell, Oakland Raiders

Analysis: Campbell has a coach who believes in him in Hue Jackson. Too bad he doesn't have an offensive line that can block for him.

Arrow is pointing: down

My thoughts: I think Campbell has a chance to be much better than his ranking. He looked improved this summer and he has good coaching. He could jump up eight spots or so, in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on Clayton’s ranking? Express your thoughts in the comment section below. Here’s an opportunity to rank the NFL quarterbacks yourself.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/31394/clayton-not-high-on-most-afc-west-qbs

2. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    He is pretty up there on the ONLY QB that counts in the AFC West. Screw the rest of them...

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think it's obvious how I feel about PR. He's the bees knees. Nuff' said.

Castle and Orton have the potential to be dangerous - Orton moreso than Castle b/c he's has so much more experience fighting for every scrap of respect he can get. That said, they're good not great QB's.

I feel for Campbell - that guy has a new offensive system to learn every damn year it seems. Although if the run game for the Raiders is as good as I think it will be, it could mean Campbell will have a chance to really make positive strides this season.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait one... Beens have knees?

Holy crap! Why doesnt anyone tell me these things?!

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]
    Does this guys opinions deserve a response?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    As much as yours or mine does, one would argue...

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It was an article about an article. ;)

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes... Your point. Oh wait! There it is, under your tupee... ;)

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Bee's have knees. I know b/c I checked (accuracy is very important to me ya know) they look just like mini philip river's faces. Or maybe that's just b/c I see him everywhere there is beauty in nature? (side note: where's my shrugging smiley!?)

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    THIS. Campbell is deffinatly the best of the rest in the DIV. I have been cheering for Campbell year after year. And year after year Wash would tear down their coaching staff and bring in a new guy with a new way of doing things. And then 1 year later in OAK, another OC change. ;/ Still kinda torn on him changing #s Good cuz there is only one 17, sucky cuz I dont recognize him in a #8 let alone a silver shirt.

11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I kinda feel for Campbell as well – he never really got a fair shake in Washington, he comes to Oakland & sweeps the entire division, but they go & get Pryor in the supplemental draft and you just know it’s probably gonna spell the end for him in Oakland eventually, sorta like Vick’s arrival to the Eagles hastened McNabb’s exit from Philadelphia…

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    What has John Clayton ever done to end up where he is?. He looks like a geeky professor (no offence to professors). I take it he never played football?. Maybe he was a kicker?.