1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Clinching Scenarios

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tboltzcali, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Heres the list for this weekends games..

Playoff Race

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeds · Bracket · Scenarios · Expert Blog

Week 14 Scenarios
    AFC East
    New England can clinch AFC East division title with:

a win and a N.Y. Jets loss

AFC South
    Indianapolis can clinch AFC South division title with:

a win or tie
    Indianapolis can clinch a playoff berth with:

New York Jets loss and Cincinnati loss and Denver loss and Kansas City loss

AFC West
    San Diego can clinch AFC West division title with:

a win and a Kansas City loss or tie OR
    a tie and a Kansas City loss

San Diego can clinch a playoff berth with:

a win OR
    a tie and New York Jets loss or tie OR
    a tie and Cincinnati loss

NFC North
    Chicago has clinched NFC North division title.

Chicago can clinch a 1st round bye with:
    a win and Dallas loss and Seattle loss

NFC West
    Seattle can clinch NFC West division title with:
    a win and San Francisco loss or tie OR
    a tie and San Francisco loss and St. Louis loss or tie

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +854
    We are going to take the AFC west crown this weekend. Denver falls to us, and KC will lose to Baltimore.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think KC will beat the Ravens. KC is desperate and at home.

The Chargers take the division crown against KC in two weeks. :bolt:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    And will do so on national TV.:icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :tup: :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  6. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    So when do my bets pay out? When chargers clinch or not until right after week 17? I wanna start cashing in on the Chargers bets I made in May!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,058
    What bets did you make, and with whom did you make them?

I have a preseason bet in Vegas, we win the AFC, and go to the Superbowl

• Like Like x 1
  8. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I have 3 bets on the Chargers to win AFC West, AFC and Superbowl with Bodog.com. I'm hoping they pay me for the AFC West bet when the division is clinched on Sunday, rather than after the regular season ends.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +497
    I backed em to win it all in August.... more in hope than expectation.................. it's expectation now, GO BOLTS!!, my bank balance and mood needs it :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    What odds did you get back in August?

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +497
    22/1 - I was surprised they were relatively low. I backed them again about 6 weeks ago at 10/1. They are now 4/1 with my bookie.

12. bucnasty

bucnasty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    In May I got:

9/5 to win AFC West
    13/2 to win AFC
    14/1 to win Superbowl

13. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Hope they win for you.

14. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
  15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We just need to keep winning.

One weeks rest will help everyone lick their wounds for the final push.

Hopefully, we can rest some starters for the Cardinals game and have the Number One seed locked up regardless of the outcome.

Plus it is my birthday -- woohoo !!! :helm1: :bolt2: :icon_party: :helm1: :bolt2: :icon_toast: :icon_party: :bolt2:

16. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Happy B-day Trumpy! :icon_toast:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Not until December 30th but I start around the 22nd and do not stop until January 5th or so :icon_toast:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,890
    like a tailgate

• Like Like x 1
  19. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    We've clinched the AFC West so now we play the waiting Game

20. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    No waiting game. We need to win the next two games and we will be in good position to get that first round bye and maybe home field. But interesting enough, the tribune had and article saying the teams that did have home field didnt do well in the playoffs. I will post it.

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +854
    Yeah, but those teams weren't as well rounded as our Bolts. Plus we have been straight up dominant at home this year. The "Q" with all us crazy fans is becoming a very tough place for opposing teams to play.

22. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    hopefully we can beat the system!!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061212-9999-1s12chargers.html

Having secured a home playoff game with Sunday's 48-20 victory over the Denver Broncos, they could clinch a first-round bye with a victory Sunday and an Indianapolis loss to Cincinnati on Monday.

“We had a bye so early in the year we all forgot about it,” linebacker Donnie Edwards said. “It would help a lot in terms of getting a lot of guys healthier. There are so many guys not even on the injury report, and it would give us a chance to heal.”

The Chargers will be monitoring these injuries as the week progresses: defensive end Jacques Cesaire (neck), tight end Brandon Manumaleuna (ribs), center Nick Hardwick (ankle), guard Scott Mruczkowski (knee) and linebackers Edwards (elbow), Marques Harris (hamstring) and Shaun Phillips (hamstring). Also, they hope to have linebacker Randall Godfrey (calf) and receivers Malcom Floyd (ankle) and Keenan McCardell (ankle) back Sunday after they all sat out against Denver.

Defensive end Luis Castillo (ankle), McCree (knee) and defensive end Igor Olshansky (knee) have all missed time and are playing with varying degrees of pain.

Additionally, if the team is fighting for the No. 1 seed through the season finale, LaDainian Tomlinson will have carried upward of 340 times, second-most in his career. It might not show in his stats, but he could use a break.

Safety Terrence Kiel's upper body is a mess. Defensive tackle Jamal Williams has to baby his knees. Even players such as cornerback Quentin Jammer, who hasn't missed a down this season, are not 100 percent. It's one of the oldest adages in football that no one is healthy at this point in the season.

“You obviously have a lot of guys banged up,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “Even guys that aren't, it allows you to refresh your minds.”

That is what Marty Schottenheimer is thinking. He said yesterday the end of the season comes down to mental fortitude, where the beginning is about physical prowess.

But it is important enough that his players are rested that he is shortening practice. Having already pared it by some 15 minutes a month ago, he will take it down another eight or 10.

He hopes for a bye because it would allow his staff time to “fine-tune techniques and fundamentals.”

Getting one of the top two seeds – and the bye and at least one home game that come with it – is certainly not a guarantee of success.
    Over the past two postseasons, home teams are 10-10. Among those losing at home were the 2004 Chargers.

Even being No. 1, which guarantees home-field advantage through the conference championship game, does not mean a prolonged postseason.

The Chargers were the No. 1 seed in 1979 and lost their first playoff game. They were the No. 1 seed the next season as well and lost in the AFC Championship.

But being a No. 1 or No. 2 has portended success league-wide.

Only two of the past 23 Super Bowl champions have not had a first-round bye. There has been at least one No. 1 seed in the Super Bowl every year since 1998.
    So the Chargers will gladly take the bye if they can earn it.

“We have a bunch of tough guys that are going to keep playing regardless,” Castillo said. “But we're banged up, and we could use it.”