1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CLINTON HART Makes the HATERS look like FOOTBALL FOOLS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/01/04/sports/professional/chargers/23_25_251_3_08.txt

Safety valve: Unsung Hart has emerged in Chargers' secondary

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Clinton Hart was frequently cited as a serious question mark before this season. Instead, he has proved to be quite the answer as the Chargers' starting strong safety.

There were suggestions that Hart wouldn't be a starter for long ---- not with a track record of six starts in three seasons with the Chargers and promising Eric Weddle being selected in the second round.

But Hart held off Weddle in training camp and has been a major contributor. He's second on the team with five interceptions and was a major reason why the Chargers led the NFL in interceptions (30) and takeaways (48).

"I put it along with all the other chips that I carry on my shoulder," Hart said of the slights he heard. "I put it up there with the rest of them. I still have stuff to prove to people ---- fans and people that don't believe I'll be able to get it done.

"We put together a good season, and from a personal standpoint, I put together a good season that I'm happy with. I did everything I could do to help this team get to where we are now."

The Chargers meet Tennessee on Sunday in an AFC wild-card playoff game at a time when Hart has been clicking on all cylinders.

Few outsiders envisioned Hart having a season in which he racked up a career-best 109 tackles to go with the career-high five interceptions. Secondary coach Bill Bradley uses the word "fantastic" to describe Hart's season. (EDIT: AND SO DID TRUMPET MAN)

"He does everything we've asked him to do," said Bradley, a former Pro Bowl safety. "All Clinton needed was an opportunity, and he's got his opportunity and he's taken advantage of it. He's going to be a premier safety in this league." :tup:

Another thing that has jumped out at the coaches is how Hart's level of play kept improving. That's a tribute to how Hart approaches the game all week, not just for three-plus hours on Sundays.

"The thing I like about him is he's gotten better with every game," coach Norv Turner said. "The one thing a guy like Clinton does is, because he works so hard at it and he prepares so well, he brings you consistency.

"Even without any of the interceptions, he's played at a high level. Now you start getting the interceptions, that's kind of like what a free safety should be ---- he's a ball (hawk) back there.

"He's gotten two or three balls that have been tipped and he's in the right place at the right time carrying out his assignments."

San Diego is definitely the right place at the right time for the 30-year-old Hart. A former college baseball player who never played college football, Hart first caught the attention of NFL teams by starring during two seasons of playing in arena football leagues.

He eventually was signed by Philadelphia and spent 2002 on the Eagles' practice squad. The following season, he started nine games after Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins was injured.

But the Eagles released Hart the following September, and the Chargers claimed him the following day.

"What happened is I became expendable," Hart said of his release. "Brian Dawkins got healthy, and they didn't want (Brian) Westbrook to be a returner. They needed someone who was a returner/safety, and J.R. Reed was a returner/safety in college, so they had two in one."

Looking back, Hart sees his release as the jump-start of his career. He intercepted five passes over the previous three seasons, including three last year. When the club released troubled Terrence Kiel, it opened the door for Hart's ascent.

General manager A.J. Smith said he never doubted that Hart would excel as the starting strong safety. (EDIT: AND NEITHER DID TRUMPET MAN) :flag:

"I think he's an outstanding football player," Smith said. "He works hard at the game. He's a year-round worker, and it's very serious to him. He's had some experience along the way. We just felt he was talented."

Of course, plenty of others questioned whether Hart could play in the NFL. He says the critics have supplied plenty of fuel.

"It definitely helped motivate me to be who I am," Hart said. "This isn't the first time. I've gotten that throughout my whole life while trying to make it to where I'm at.

"Some people not believing, some people believing: 'He's a question mark. He didn't play college football. He's a baseball player.'

"I make one mistake in a game, and it gets broadcast as, 'Oh, he don't know what he's doing.' It gets tiring hearing that because I've seen Pro Bowl guys make the same mistake."

...............CLINTON HART HATERS SHOULD JUST ROOT FOR THE RAIDERS. You obviously do not know what the fuc you have been watching nor have any excuses to flat out admit that you ALL were wrong and as usual, I was right.

Eat it and like it and never ever doubt what I say again. You have been punked by my boy on and off the field. I love it. :icon_party:

Clinton Hart is your daddy biitches.

2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    It is great that we have a young guy like Weddle in the wings, since Clinton Hart is 30 years old and soon to be leaving the prime of his career.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hart was right there with McCree missing Adrian Peterson all day. Other than that he has done all right.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Not unlike Gates, Hart never put his body through the rigors of college football.

The brother is a LOW MILEAGE hot rod with no battle or crash damage so the wrong side of thirty arguements are hollow considering what mitigates his age and condition.

AJ scored a royal gem in Clinton Hart and if his closest amigo, Marc, is any indication of Clinton's associates, the dude rolls with cool people who you would introduce to your own daughter.

Now A.J. needs to pay the man. He shelled out bucks for Kiel and McCree and Olivea and now Hart deserves a bump in pay. The dude is way underpaid and yes he did sign a new contract but it was not loaded with love the way I measured it. A.J. needs to give this dude a new deal and show he is taking care of those he signed for what I consider peanuts comparatively.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry Trump, I forgot the smiley.

:lol:

6. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Hart has played well this year I'll give him credit. I still want an upgrade :yes:

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Hart has played better since the Jags game where he complained about having to get up early for an east coast game. Hopefully it continues through the playoffs.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Everybody likes upgrades in the secondary, but Hart is more than adequate after a season of experience. Like I said before, the guy brings his lunch pail to work and plays hard. He's cut down on some of the dumber penalties. Weddle will push McCree next season, Oliver will have a years worth of time under his belt. With Weddle and Oliver both maturing, we have the makings of an elite secondary. I'm happy with Hart at the moment.

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ...and yet he still got toasted by a defensive lineman for a TD!!!
    :icon_rofl:

I love F'ing with you, man. :icon_party:

10. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Fucing with T-Man aside I've actually noticed Hart up at the LOS mixing it up a lot more lately. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont tell T-Bone that I said this, but your right...:yes:

Hart has had his mental lapses this season, but who hasnt?

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    He has been making plays that is for sure. :tup:

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    He seems to have "upped" his game lately. :icon_toast:

14. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Yeah... but not enough to justify this pompous thread header. Trumpie has always been good for a few laughs!

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    hes a good player, its good to have him, cro and qjam in the secondary, we just need to replace dflo or mccree. weddle seems like a good player, but he hasnt been around long enough to really show what he can do, i dont doubt his abilities tho. you can quote me on that, i think he'll have a good season next year as cro has had for us this year

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Boy, Trumpie - no issue w/self-confidence, huh? :icon_tease: :icon_rofl:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Trumpie's never been afraid to toot his own horn, literally or figuratively

Hart's definitely made alot of improvement especially in the last few weeks but I kinda wonder where he was before then

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    His play has improved, no doubt. Hopefully this is a trend that continues. :tup:

Just because I said that does NOT mean that I'm climbing on the "Trumpet Man is the prophet" bandwagon. :no: :lol:

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm just glad Hart quit watching receivers run by him for 58 yard TD's. :lol:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And RB's. :icon_eek:

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I was asking for Marty to start Hart two years ago while Kiel was stinking it up in coverage.

22. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree that Hart has been pretty solid since the Jax game. I would like to see Weddle start over McCree on Sunday though, or at least get half the FS snaps.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I guessed you missed all the pompous *** prognostications how the dude was a scrub.

The thread stands on its own merits despite your feeling on its pompousness.

Maybe you are hurt knowing one of your good friends was made to look bad thinking my boy was a scrub ?

The scrubs are the ones who called Hart not worthy.

They tee'd off on his *** and now it is my turn so like it.

24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    What comes around.....:lol:

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Thank God we have Tony here to let us know about hart otherwise none of us would have noticed. T, your man love for Clinton is frightening.

:lol:

He has been playing very well. Moar safety blitzes plz

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The destruction of the Denver QB will haunt your dreams..

27. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Totally agree... McCree is a liability in pass coverage...

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Since this thread agrees with a few basic premises

1. McCree is a liability in many ways
    2. Hart's been playing outstanding as of late
    3. Weddle should be starting very soon because he's made great plays lately

Here's the big question then:
    Where do you put Hart and where do you put Weddle?

29. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

I would want Weddle in coverage more, I think he has the instincts to make plays on the ball that Hart does not