1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Clinton Hart released - Happy now?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Oct 14, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Kevin Ellison overview from NFL.com.

Overview
    Steady, no-nonsense strong safety ended his career with 34 starts and earning first-team All-Pac-10 honors after each of the past two seasons. An instinctive defender, Ellison has morphed into a coach on the field for the Trojans. While every other member of the USC defensive backfield is superior as an all-around athlete, Ellison, who was lightly recruited out of high school, makes up for a lack of eye-popping measureables with intelligence, physicality and a penchant for making the big play. Of concern to scouts, is whether Ellison has the straight-line speed to handle the transition to the NFL, especially considering the three knee operations he's undergone while at USC.

Analysis
    Positives: Chiseled athlete who certainly looks the part. ... Steady, dependable player who graduated a semester early from high school to enroll at Southern Cal. ... Signed with USC as a running back and was so physical and instinctive that the staff considered him at linebacker before moving him to strong safety. ... Quick to attack the line of scrimmage in run support. ... Effective open-field tackler who can break down and make the stop in space. ... Flashes explosiveness as a hitter and can intimidate receivers crossing the middle. ... An accomplished blitzer from his safety position. ... Can avoid blocks on his way to the quarterback and has good closing speed. ... Good bloodlines. Brother, Keith Ellison, is a linebacker for the Buffalo Bills.

Negatives: Lacks the preferred straight-line speed for the position. ... Not the same player in coverage that he is in run support or as a hitter over the middle. ... Too often plays the man and not the ball. ... Willing to give up the reception to make a big hit and play it safe. ... Repeated knee injuries. ... Missed most of the 2005 season due to a torn ACL and fractured left leg. Underwent surgery on his left knee again prior to the 2007 season. ... Missed five games in 2008 with a torn meniscus in his right knee that also required surgery.

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Exactly!

3. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I am sorry to see him go but it is about productivity and he hasn't been lately. My wife and I enjoyed hanging out with his wife last year at the Pitt. playoff game, in fact that was the highlight of the day. They really need to get rid of Norv and Captain Ego Smith then the healing can begin........ Jess sayin.:icon_shrug:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,391
    [​IMG]

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    all this means is aj smith can keep his job for another year. funny how after 6 years clinton suddenly gets cut now? like jamal was never hurt before? or clinton was never burned before? they really needed a spot for ian scott that bad?? bs, now look at SS. someone had to be scapegoated for smiths screw ups and unfortunately clinton is the first (this year at least). godspeed

:bolt:

6. chargersfanzclub

chargersfanzclub BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    partial happy, think C Hart is a cool guy, a good performer in the league too

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    NFL stands for Not For Long when you perform like C. Hart did. I wish him nothing but the best but do not disagree with this move. :bolt:

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I have never seen so many people rejoice at the release of a player.....EVER.:lol:

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    You don't remember the release of Wilhelm??

I seem to recall streeet parties and a parade!! :lol:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If it gets some folks motivated and/or brings in talent where we need it, then let's get it on.

I think we've all seen that Ellison is much better at run support than he is in coverage. I really want to see a rotation that includes him & Spillman. Spillman showed a willingness to hit & has better speed/coverage skills.

[​IMG]

11. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    You could say the same thing about Rodney Harrison's ability, and he had a HOF type career.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Regarding Kevin Ellison:

:icon_eek:

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Speaking of Whiffhelm, I see he is now on the scrap heap, could not break into the Eagles roster. What a waste of space he is.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Let's call him and see if we wants to work as a parking attendant!

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I find it both hilarious and sad that so many posters were right about him and his playing ability.

Scrub.

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

Chargers release strong safety Hart

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    October 14, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- A defensive shake-up that had been hinted at took shape Wednesday in the jettisoning of one starter and the re-signing of a player previously deemed expendable.

Feeling he wasn't their best option anymore, the Chargers released starting strong safety Clinton Hart. And, needing depth on a patchwork defensive line, the team told defensive tackle Ian Scott to cancel the moving truck and signed him back to their roster.

“There are always multiple reasons why you make a move,” head coach Norv Turner said. “We had a chance to help ourselves on the defensive line. We were carrying an extra safety. We feel the young guys are coming along and are ready to play. I don't know if it's as much Clinton as the young guys have come on.”
    Steve Gregory, Paul Oliver and rookie Kevin Ellison worked in a rotation with the first team Wednesday and could continue rotating right through Monday's critical game against Denver.

Scott will play Monday, joining a rotation at tackle with Travis Johnson and either Ogemdi Nwagbuo or Alfonso Boone. Signed last month, Boone has been more effective at end and could make a more permanent move there.

Scott was let go in the final cuts Sept. 5, as a knee injury had limited his practice and playing time. He spent the past month rehabilitating here and in Arizona. He and his family were preparing to “pack up and move back to Florida” when the Chargers called.

A starter for the Chicago Bears in their Super Bowl season in 2006, Scott was signed by the Chargers on Sept. 24, 2008, and played in four games last season.
    The Chargers face an entire season without linemen Jamal Williams and Ryon Bingham, who are on injured reserve after recent surgeries.

Hart, who started 37 of the Chargers' past 41 games, was told he was being let go when he arrived Wednesday morning for an early workout.

Hart said he loved his teammates, the city and fans too much to say some of the things that were on his mind. He acknowledged feeling like something of a scapegoat.
    “I feel like I got punched in the gut,” he said. “They knocked my teeth out. I'm made out to be the bad guy.”
    Hart's shortcomings had become a frequent topic in San Diego over the past year-plus. He played injured much of last season and had issues in coverage and with run support.

He acknowledged still struggling to some extent and said he had gone in to work on the field and in the film room on his own Tuesday, the players' off day.

“I've got to play better,” he said. “I needed to concentrate on me. But I'm one of the best safeties back there.”
    While they ultimately went with Hart to start the season, the Chargers in April made Ellison their sixth-round pick, and Hart was not considered a long-term answer at the position. Plus, the Chargers carried six safeties until Wednesday.

Ellison has been inactive in two games this season and actually played in only one game, against Miami. Gregory has spent the most time on the field, alternating with Hart. Oliver has shown improvement. And while Ellison still has a lot to learn and lacks the speed often desired from that position, he showed good instincts in the preseason. Rookie C.J. Spillman, an undrafted free agent, is still considered a project.

“As you know, we went into the season with an overload at the position,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “But after the first quarter of the schedule, we feel we have solidified the safety position for this season. With the further development of Gregory and Oliver and the steady advancement of Kevin Ellison, we are now ready to move forward.”
    The Chargers allowed 497 yards and 38 points in their most recent game, a 38-28 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are ranked 26th in total defense and 27th in rushing defense.

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Bring back Donnie!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm only sad that I didn't wait until this game to come out so I could watch a Hart-less team. :lol:

19. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Considering some of the moves we've made lately, would it really surprise you if AJ re-signed him?

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's a good thing you're out of arm's reach. :icon_tease:

21. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Well, at least he "knows the system". :lol: