1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Close connection

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Monday, Jul 31, 2006
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

It’s Thursday night, weeks before the start of training camp and several miles from Chargers Park. Philip Rivers is giving Antonio Gates all he can handle, pushing his competitive spirit to the limits. They’ve traded the football field for a table top and the pigskin for a small white plastic ball and the two do battle well into the night.

“After a couple of games of ping pong, he’s dripping,” Rivers said of Gates. “He hates to lose, and I’m the same way. He’s as big a competitor as I’ve ever been around, and I think I’m the world’s worst. We have a good time and get to know each other. The more you know about each other and the more you care about each other, it helps your team.”

Shortly after Rivers became the Chargers’ starting quarterback, he also became a neighbor of Gates, a man who will most likely play a key role in the first-year starter’s success this season. The two spent the summer taking advantage of every opportunity to get to know each other better.

“Philip and I are just really cool with each other,” Gates said. “We have a blast together. The number one thing to having success is having chemistry and having a feel for one another. Any great tandem has great chemistry with each other. Between playing hoops in my backyard to the work we did on the football field, we’ve done a good job of that. Now it’s time to take it to the football field.”

(see full article at Charger.com)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    "Hot routes" (or lack thereof) has been one of my pet peeves these past couple seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Looks like Feeley is the one making most of the INTs. Figures.

:icon_eek: Hopefully Igor will be back for tomorrow's practice or the next day's.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Guys, when posting articles, please only post a few paragraphs and the link. Its a legal deal, help us out please.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Buzkil

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sorry... I know its a downer.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Brees is too short to play ping pong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :trout:
    :lol:

9. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Fouts => Winslow

Rivers => Gates :icon_banana: :yes:

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    "Hot Route! Hot Route!"

"What the F#$% is a Hot Route?"

"Would you just move over there?"

Wedding Crashers is a great flick...

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CHARGERS G.M. MIFFED AT THE MEDIA

With Chargers president Dean Spanos previously ordering G.M. A.J. Smith and coach Marty Schottenheimer to kiss and make up regarding their protracted feud, Smith apparently has directed his pent-up acrimony toward the local media.

An industry source tells us that Smith has been obsessing of late with the coverage of the team and, more specifically, of him. Smith recently claimed, we're told, that some comments attributed to him by Nick Canepa of the San Diego Union Tribune regarding the status of linebacker Donnie Edwards were off the record and/or were not uttered by Smith.

Among other things, Canepa wrote that Smith said, "I'm just tired of all his bull[sh-t] and innuendo [Edwards has] put out there. I don't want to talk about it anymore."

The next day, Scott Kaplan of the Mighty 1090 was contending that, in complaining to the media about Edwards' use of the media to spread his message, Smith was basically doing the same thing that he claimed that Edwards had been doing.

So then Smith, we're told, had one of the team's P.R. staff call the station to complain.

Earlier in the offseason, Smith abruptly decided to quit talking to Jay Paris of the North County Times, apparently because Smith didn't appreciate the "tone" of a Paris article regarding the 2003 draft, in which Paris pointed out the obvious fact that first-rounder Sammy Davis has played like Dean Martin after a few high balls.

So what's going on here? We think Smith knows damn well that his plan to get Schottenheimer sch-tcanned has blown up in A.J.'s non-smiling face, and that there's a good chance that both of them will get run out of town if the team doesn't go deep into January.

Thus, we think that Smith is trying to force the coverage to be more favorable as the team embarks on a season that will either secure his position or the next few years -- or secure his exit after the next few months.

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I wouldn't mind if AJ got a little miffed at the media.
    :icon_mrgreen:

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We should let AJ come on the pod cast and tell it like it is.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

A.J. needs to get on the show !!! :tup:

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Promise him no talk about Cromartie's 'bubble' and he just may agree. :icon_mrgreen:

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. himself says he reads everything. I wonder if he is obsessing ?

17. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    If AJ goes, I go :icon_eek: