1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cloverfield

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, May 8, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just saw this movie last night and was curious what others thought of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IvNkGm8mxiM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    It was an ok curiousity, bit on the cheesy side and did get me a bit motion sick, but it was enjoyable enough

I think they tried to hype it way too much then it needed to be.

I'm just sorry for Marlena in that movie, that sucked *** to be her

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I did not care for the hand held camera deal. All in all I thought it was a waste of time.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I don't want to give away any spoilers, but yeah, that sucked.

I liked the movie. It was like the Blair Witch Project, except that it was good. My only complaint is the length of the film. It's hard to consider this thing a feature film when it's only 72 minutes long.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I didn't like Blair Witch at all, found it to be kinda hokey but i thought cloverfield was better done in that regard and its sci fi which is more up my alley. As to its length, I'll be honest if it was longer then that they probably would've had issues with motion sickness for alot of people. Still it was an ok watch, I'll probably rent it and see it again just to catch all the stuff i missed

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Piece of **** movie. The best parts were that it was less than 80 minutes long and every single annoying person in the movie died.

Godzilla (1998) + Blair Witch Project = Cloverfield

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I'd give it a 6.5/10. Blair witch was better IMO.

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I noticed a lot of people felt this way. I liked it, but I understand why a lot of people didn't.
    I hated Blair Witch, but I liked this one, go figure. :icon_shrug:

9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    My older kid liked it so I bought a copy...have yet to watch it.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I thought it was good. I didn't see it in movie theatres, and the motion sickness didn't bother me. Nice, short, and to the point. Not a whole lot of fluff around the edges. I thought it was an enjoyable monster flick, and they didn't try to make any more of it. I'm kind of tired of all these movies that have an hours worth of actual content that is stretched out to a two and a half hour movie.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I guess my mistake was watching the special features ad seeing all these people talking about how the monster was a terrified child etc... That doesn't translate at all. The movie seemed more about people interacting in a very small group than anything else. I was bored stiff by the time the subway scene rolled around.

12. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Your a nerd like me who liked sci fi

13. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I enjoyed it as I always admired the old animated monster films by Harryhausen or Godzilla-based themes. They did a good job not keeping the focus on the monster the entire movie and keeping it's appearance a little vague throughout the movie. Pretty good special effects too.

My raspberries:
    Terrible acting: who in the world gets impaled on a sort of structure rod for several hours and is able to run later after it becomes removed? She wakes up to see the dude and says "Hey." Terrible and the writing for that part too.

Magical battery power! That guy goes into the electronics store to replace the dead battery in his phone. He finds one and, et voila!, his phone is working again. Wish the batteries I buy were charged up like that. Now that camcorder Hud uses - best battery in the world! How many hours on a single charge for a camcorder?

Will there be a sequel? There are rumours of a possible sequel. There was a fellow on the bridge (before it crashes) who had a camera/camcorder as well and faces Hud at one point. Perhaps if there is it will explain more about the monster. At the end of the movie, you can see it dropping into the ocean [right side of the screen] when that guy aims the camera in that direction from the ferris wheel or whatever they were on.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    supposedly there was a message at the end of the movie which says either "help us" or "its still alive" depending on who you talk to. And since it was somewhat successful I wouldn't be surprised if another movie comes out since every somewhat successful movie out there gets a billion sequels.
    and yeah that woman getting impailed and living, magical hollywood land