1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Club ran out of time for Parker to recover

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    October 17, 2007
    Just a few hours after hearing of his trade to the Chargers yesterday, Chris Chambers conceded he wasn't completely familiar with his new team. But he did know about the man he was brought here to replace – Eric Parker.
    “I know Parker was pretty much a go-to guy out there, a hard worker,” Chambers said from Florida. “I heard a lot of good things about him – a very tough player.” No one with the Chargers would dispute that, but as tough as Parker is, he couldn't overcome an injury to his big toe that just refused to heal. Which explains as much as anything why Chambers was headed to San Diego last night. Parker was injured during the first practice of training camp in July and had surgery in August. The Chargers kept him on the roster and as recently as last week the club was hopeful he would be ready to return after this week's bye. But Parker went to get a third opinion Monday from Dr. Robert Anderson in North Carolina, and the Chargers learned yesterday morning he was going to need more time to heal and strengthen the toe. That prompted General Manager A.J. Smith to complete the deal that sent the Dolphins a second-round draft pick in 2008 in exchange for Chambers. Parker was placed on injured reserve, ending his season before it began.
    “We were dealing with the loss of a terrific possession receiver,” said Smith, who declined to say how long talks had gone on with the Dolphins but did call it “a late development.”
    Chambers said he was told by Dolphins coach Cam Cameron that the trade “was brought to the table (Monday) and they kind of slept on it. They (the Dolphins) felt like they wanted to move in another direction with some of their younger guys and felt like this would be a great opportunity for me.”
    Though the trade will mean less playing time for two of the Chargers' younger guys, rookie Buster Davis and Malcom Floyd, coach Norv Turner emphasized Chambers' acquisition was “just the right thing for this team right now. The biggest thing is it's not a reflection on our receivers. Our receivers are going good and they're going to make a lot of plays for us.”
    Nuts 'n' Bolts

[​IMG] The Chargers do not have to announce which players practiced this week, but there were numerous players sitting out the portion of yesterday's workout that was open to the media. Among them: Davis, nose tackle Jamal Williams, fullback Andrew Pinnock, defensive end Jacques Cesaire, center Nick Hardwick, guard Mike Goff and all four starting linebackers.
    [​IMG] Hardwick, injured in Sunday's win over the Raiders, said the MRI exam on his sprained foot was negative and that he would be sidelined 3-4 weeks. [​IMG] NFL Network will air a 90-minute replay of Sunday's Chargers-Raiders game at 7:30 tonight. The Patriots-Cowboys game will be shown at 5 p.m.

UT

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah... we just couldn't wait any longer for this guy to find the endzone either! :no::lol:

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'll bet Marsha orchestrated the whole thing.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    The woman behind the throne. :yes:

5. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    So does anyone have any idea what Parker did to his toe? Drop a weight on it? Put it in a table saw? Get it stuck too far up his vagina?

I can't imagine what you could do to your TOE on the first day of practice that would end your season.... I have broken my toe, had toenails ripped off, you name it, and never been hobbled for more than a week or two.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Mandude I'm not really diggin that avatar. :no:

7. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    what? too much? :icon_shrug:

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It reminds him of the sushi he had for lunch!

(BTW - Marsha ain't payin' Parker for jack shiit... :lol:)

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    What it would have to be is more than a simple broken toe. It almost has to involve ligament and cartilage damage in the phalanges and metatarsals along with inflamation. With the weight of the entire body focused on this small point, an injury here, even a Sprain can develop all kind of complications. This kind of stuff heals slower than simple breaks and since every move starts off the ball of the foot, even a minor problem creates difficulties you can't simply play through. Move the wrong way and your leg can buckle.

10. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    What the hell are you doing to Norv in that sig?:icon_huh::icon_eek:

11. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Spraining your toe can hurt worse than you imagine, and ANY weight on it will bring tears to your eyes. That said, It is hard to believe that it would take all season (or any longer than it already has) to heal to a point where he isnt risking furthering the injury and would be able to play through the pain.

Get well soon EP....until then, I think we are going to be alright.

12. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    yeah made that after the Greenbay loss. I promise to change it if we beat the texans.

uh, it was suppose to be a lightening bolt chopping his head in two.

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    thas y ppl take painkillers. u r right, we will be alright until he comes back, but when he does, put some superglue on his gloves or kick his dumbass out. since he cost the game in denver a few years back, he hasnt done nething to help himself. peace

id rather have aaron shea