1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CNN: CBS Announces Charges will Play at Home Sunday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Oct 26, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/26/fire.wildfire.ca/index.html

From the article:
    In a sign of progress, CBS announced the NFL's San Diego Chargers will play as scheduled Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium, where thousands of evacuees have sought shelter this week.

I'm not sure how legit this is. I have not seen this anywhere else.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  3. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    CNN reporting the Chargers WILL PLAY in SD Sunday at 1pm

I posted the same thing at the same time. :lol:

I'm not sure how legit this is. Seems weird that CBS would make the announcement, rather than the Chargers or the NFL.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Great news, if true. :tup:

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112

Apparently Dierdork is on his way here .. so CBS seems to think the game is being played in San Diego.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It's also been confirmed at the SDUT and XX Sports Radio XX

:abq1::abq2:

7. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

per press release:
    http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/spo...es/015788.html

Game will be played as scheduled

The Chargers-Texans game will be played as scheduled at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium, according to a news release from Mayor Jerry Sanders. The game will be televised on Channel 8.

Posted by Jay Posner on October 26, 2007 10:59 AM

8. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

per press release:
    http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/spo...es/015788.html

Game will be played as scheduled

The Chargers-Texans game will be played as scheduled at 1:05 p.m. Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium, according to a news release from Mayor Jerry Sanders. The game will be televised on Channel 8.

Posted by Jay Posner on October 26, 2007 10:59 AM

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Thread merge!

:lol:

10. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842

Thanks for the info.

Bad link.:tdown:

11. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Sorry bout that:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071026-1101-bn26chargers.html

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

11:01 a.m. October 26, 2007

A week of uncertainty has come to a close, as the Chargers have learned they will play their home game Sunday – actually at home.
    Numbers adding up for dependable Gates

They will play the Houston Texans at 1:05 p.m. at Qualcomm Stadium, according to a press release from the city.

The wildfires that tortured San Diegans this week forced the Chargers to flee Tuesday to Arizona, where they will hold their third-and-final practice at the Cardinals' complex in Tempe this afternoon.

On Thursday, Mayor Jerry Sanders cleared Qualcomm Stadium as site of the game. While all indications were the game would be there, the Chargers still did not confirm that on Thursday night.

The mayor said the team remained concerned about air quality and police and fire support. A mayoral spokesman said Thursday the city “would be ready” with that support by Sunday.

Also, all remaining evacuees at Qualcomm Stadium were to be transferred to other shelters.

While some in San Diego expressed concerns about playing a game so soon after a tragedy, many have clamored for the game to be at Qualcomm because it would be a positive diversion.

I think thats very important for us,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “We want to look at it like that. Anytime you can entertain people, its always going to take their minds off of whats going on. Even for three or four hours, if you can entertain them, theyre going to take their mind off of whatever is going on in their world. Thats what we want to do.

“People in the county are going through a tough time ... To play a game, hopefully back there, hopefully that can lift people's spirits. Because this is gong to be something the county is going to have to deal with for a long time.”

Asked Thursday about a game at Qualcomm helping people feel better, Sanders said, “I think the city ought to feel real good about the way it's responded to this crisis already. And I think a lot of people in the city and county of San Diego have done an incredible job working together to house and feed and do a lot of things. I certainly think a football game would be nice, but I don't know that that's the only thing people are focused on at this point.”

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    XX Sports has the statement from the Mayor on their website, too. Looks like it's all systems go.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Great news! Glad to hear that things have normalized enough for this to happen, also that we won't get screwed out of a home game.

Now that that question has been answered, here's the next:

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME CHARGERS FOOTBALL ?

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

14. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Philip Rivers is right. The game at Qualcomm will entertain the exhausted people who escaped from the fire. They don't want to
    watch it on TV. If there are any air difficulties left, both teams
    have to overcome this. A good decision has to be made.

15. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    After a week of watching nothing but fire coverage, I'm excited to see this game being played as originally scheduled. It truly is a tribute to how this community came together to help each other. I'm hoping the City and the Chargers will be honoring the firefighters. They did a tremendous job!!!

16. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    WOOO HOOO!:icon_banana:

Me and MrsLash will see ya there Sunday morning in time for mimosas.:icon_toast:

God Bless the Fire Fighters and God Bless the Chargers!:abq2:

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, the main reason for the delay in the decision was the air quality concerns.

Having the air quality good enough for the average Joe walking around San Diego is different than having it good enough for professional athletes to be running around outdoors, full steam, on a warm day, for 3 hours.

So, once they determined it would be good enough for professional sports, the Chargers gave the go ahead for Sunday.

18. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I was hoping for a monday game, would've given us an extra day to get our heads together, study film, prepare etc.

But it sure beats losing a home game.

Game is at 1pm?

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Naw, the Bolts seem already really prepared for Sunday. Yesterday, they had one of their best practices of the year.

I have no doubts that the Bolts will be ready for the game Sunday.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071026-9999-1s26chnotes.html

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Oh, so now we're all ready to believe what Norv has to say?? :icon_tease:

Time to beat the horns off the Steers! :tup:

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    AJ Smith referred to the practice as, "absolutely excellent." That's high praise coming from Mr. Frowny Face.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    QFT - AJ seldom seems overtly pleased.

Looking forward to seeing Chambers on the field this Sunday. I don't expect miracles right away, but hopefully we'll see some glimpses of the good things to come from this pickup.

Now I know I'll get to see the game on the Ticket. :tup:

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Gr8 news.. it'd be terrible to have to play the game away from home especially Houston (who came up with this idea should be shot).

That being said it is a terrible pity that Dan 'Dierdork' will be 'here' to cover the game. After what he came out with last year about McCree I'm surprised he has the audacity to show up in SD.

Did he ever apologise for what he said does anyone know?......:icon_shrug:

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Let's go crazy, it'll be all about the Carne and the Beer again in San Diego at the Q.

And I said it on the show as well; after what this town's been through I can't think of anything better for my soul then some Charger football

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Well in good ol' days of peak smog there was a saying-"Don't trust any air that you can't see."

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    He is a ****ing tool and the mute button is always ready for when he opens his piehole to spew out some senseless drivel. Him and Thiesmann are 1A and 1B on the "Annoying Color Commentator Scale".

AND the Owner of the Texas is an ******* to complain about "a competitive disadvantage" for his team regarding the possible changes in the game time/date. Hey Bob! :icon_finger:

• Like Like x 1
  27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

competitive disadvantage

Some of the Texans Players, mommies, do not allow them out after dark, thats where the competitive disadvantage comes into play.

• Like Like x 1
  28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

Y'all have enough hot embers left to roast a Diedork, just don't forget. You can't kill the flavor of rotten meat, but try lot's of garlic.:bolt::lol:

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

All the Apple Trees burned up, how are we going to find an apple big enough to shove in that mouth of his?