1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CNN SI: Props to Chambers and Cotrell

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 28, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/10/28/week8.notes/1.html

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    :yes:

3. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm not a very big Cottrell fan. He was my biggest worry going into the season. But this D will only get better with each game. Cottrell's wrinkles into the D are hurting our passrush, but it seems like we're getting better in coverage. I can't wait til the two come together. We already know we're STOUT against the run....

4. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Cottrell called an excellent game today. I'm pretty much done blaming him for our lack of QB pressure. What's up with Merriman and Castillo?

5. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    what also helped "disrupt Schaub's rhythm" was the fact that his receivers dropped a lot of passes that hit them in the hands. I'm still not liking Cottrell. If we don't put more pressure on Manning and Brady we're going to be a victim of another "classless" butt kicking by both of those teams. Oh, sorry..... we already WERE the victim of one of those teams. But it will be soooooo much different with the colts. We'll see.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He may be sending them but he needs to disguise the blitzes a little better, like Wade used to do, but the defense is creating more turnovers, something that was lacking in Wade's d. Hopefully Cottrell can find a way to get both pressure and create turnovers consistently.

7. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    A big part of those "created turnovers" was the fact that their QB was overthrowing his receivers. But still, Weddle's INT at the end of the game looked like a good defensive play. He just put himself in the right position. I can't say for sure until I get home and watch the tivo. But Cro made an outstanding run back on the INT. Cutting across the field to pick up a wall of blockers was smart. And with his speed, he could make that happen. I just wish these guys could be taught how to tuck that ball away. this guy could be amazing if he can learn to tackle and play smart. But what a day for the 'grill man'.

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    The above statement is 100% correct.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, one of the "overthrows" (Cro's INT for a TD) was deflected by Merriman. Cro's other INT was the result of Schaub trying to squeeze the ball into tight zone coverage. You can call that a bad throw, but it was the result of good coverage that forced Schaub into attempting a pass he should not have.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We still didnt get much pressure today.
    Something has changed from last year.

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Pressure was decent, not great. Merriman was getting doubled. Phillips was out hurt after the 2nd quarter. Castillo played his best game of the season and got some pressure.

Our pass pressure is down from last year, but our turnovers are up. In the last three games, our defense has allowed a total of 20 points. Hard to argue with those kinds of results.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In the last 3 games, the Chargers defense has allowed only 4 drives that produced any points. 2 TDs and 2 FG. The 2 TDs were in the 4th quarter each time when the game was pretty much already decided.

I can hang with that. :yes: :tup:

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Our ST's have scored 2 TD's (Siler, Cro) and our defense 1 TD (Cro) over that span. That's one point more than our defense has allowed.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

:tup:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The D has been playing kickass the past few weeks. They haven't just played well, they have dominated.

The next 2 games will be a nice test. Playing in @Minn can be difficult with the crowd noise and they are a better team than Hou. The Colts game will see what Cotrell is really made of.

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Regarding our new WR Chris Chambers

Chambers was thrown to 5 times during the game:

First attempt - incomplete - short pass batted away by defender hitting Chambers from behind as ball got there.

Second attempt - 14 yard pass catch with 7 YAC for a 21 yard reception resulting in a first down on a Rivers rollout pass to the right.

Third attempt - 6 yard catch over middle with 8 YAC for a 14 yard TD reception.

Fourth attempt - incomplete - Rivers intentionally threw pass away to the right towards Chambers to avoid rush

Fifth attempt - incomplete - Rivers overthrew 50 yard pass by about 3 yards, otherwise it's a 65 yard TD reception.

He caught 2/3 of the passes thrown his way that were in the "touchable" range. :tup:

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I really wish Rivers hadn't overthrown him.
    Nothing would have been sweeter than to see him trot into the endzone for a 2nd time.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Please snd me some of what you're smoking!! :icon_tease:

Cottrell is still wasting much of the talent on this defense. Send his *** packing, and soon. :icon_evil:

19. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Cottrell called an excellent game. We were up big, the smart thing to do was to make the Texans eat up clock, make sure the defenders kept everything in front of them. I don't know the stats, but I don't think we gave up a completion over 20 yards the entire game.

Let's give Cottrell some credit.

20. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:tup:

21. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Agree. Cottrell blitzed when he should of, he played deep coverage when he could of, he gave up the underneath when he should of. I can't complain. Hopefully he continues progressing and comes up with some quality gameplans in December.

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I give Cottrell lots of credit. He is releasing the hounds. They aren't always getting there, but at least he is sending them. Even without Jamal, the D-line did a nice job clogging up the middle. I thought the pass interference penalties on Jammer were a bit ticky tack, but technically accurate. Chambers getting involved already is very very good sign. I still think the safeties are suspect, but they do much better when the guys up front get pressure. I am not sure what is up with Rivers, but he really looks out of sorts. That duck to Gates for the touchdown was a real head-scratcher, and the Chambers overthrow was very uncharacteristic. I sure hope he gets it figured out soon. We are going to need that big arm the second half of the season.

23. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    One of PI penalties on Jammer was overturned, and the other one was very ticky-tack, especially since Walter was pushing off on the play.

The overthrow to Chambers is excusable, given that he and Rivers have only practiced together a few times. But Rivers definitely needs to pick it up. It is hard to get much of a rhythm when you throw it 11 times.

24. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    The Chambers overthrow was understandable. Phillip probably crapped his pants when he saw a Charger WR with more than 18 inches of separation from a DB. Very difficult throw to make mid-crap.

• Like Like x 1
  25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    He also said that was the reason he threw the wobbler to Gates on the first TD pass. He was surprised that Gates was THAT WIDE OPEN.

26. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_rofl:

27. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And I thought those were just grass stains on Philip's pants. :lol:

When PR gets his bowels under control, this offense will be unstoppable.

I also think the overthrow to Chambers was affected by the underthrow to Gates. He took so much crap from his teammates about the underthrow that when he saw Chambers wide open, he was thinking, "Don't overthrow it, don't overthrow it, don't overthrow it." Hey, at least he didn't underthrow it.:abq2:

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't if I want to send him packing yet, but he is failing to play to our strengths with his schemes by not allowing Phillips and Merriman to be more aggressive.

DFlo is a menace to close games. His hit on Schaub was another stupid mistake that might of cost us plenty in a different situation. I am now ready to start Cromartie and sit Florence. He's going to get a rep with ref's, who will then be all to eager to grab the yellow hankies even on something even a little questionable. Rodney Harrison had that problem when he was here, even though he didn't habitually take illegitimate shots at people. His penalties were often bogus. Flo's are not. What do you want to bet he's a Raiduh next season?

29. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Our coverages were disguised a lot better too. Probably Bradley more than Cottrell, but I'll still give Cottrell his props. When was the last time that the Chargers recorded 4 interceptions?

30. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think the reason is teams are doing 2 to 3 step drops and quick slants (like NE did) They practically abandoned the run too since they can't run on us consistently. I don't mind the lack of sacks, I'll take WINS. Those are better.