1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CNNSI re-does the NFL draft

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 8, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/12/06/draft.redo/index.html

I always think its weird when people do this especially since there's still four games left. And I do not comprehend why people have such a hard-on for Gonzalez when his numbers really aren't that much better then Craig Davis. You can argue that we should've flipped our 2nd Round pick (weddle) and our first round pick (Davis) in position, maybe would have saved us a third round pick, but I don't see that much of a difference between Davis and Gonzalez.

2. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Gonzalez has looked good while filling in for Harrison in Indy

3. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Gonzales hasn't really done anything spectacular, and he has arguably the best qb in the nfl throwing to him.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    V good observation that we could have picked Weddle rd 1 and then took Davis next. Even if he was gone it's not like we would have missed on a home run. I'm not writing him off though, if he can toughen up he can be a good one. If Philip can get his act together too he might prove in the long run to be better than Gonzalez.

As for Calvin Johnson going no. 1 to the Raiders, I can't believe that knowing what we know now they would not have picked AP. I recall shouting for us to pick Tanard Jackson in round 3 when we picked Waters. I just hope Waters does a CRO and gets over his injury and becomes the stud he could potentially be ala Beason or Harris. :tup:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't see how Gonzales would be more successful here than Buster.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    all I see is a huge upside to DAvis. So far he's played really well. Its the offense NOrv runs that only gives the player so many chances to shine.

Naannee is looking really good as well. I'm praying waters can heal all the way and become a super star that would make this last draft a very good one. I'm leaving weddle out. That guy already is our best saftey and he's just learning.

7. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Buster must have huge upside cause there isn't much room on the downside regarding Buster. 13 catches is pretty weak. He has to fight through injuries and get on the field and make some damn plays. The excuse makers will come pouring in soon saying he needs more time, 3 year dwell time on WRs and all that crap. Not buying it. He had such a great opportunity to make an impact. Seems he has the skills but has a case of Castilloitis.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    IN case you haven't noticed the chargers are loaded with very good wr's now. And if buster gets a ball thrown his way he's lucky. And when he does he does very well with it. Davis is gonna be a really good one. :yes:

The only problem now with being a chargers wr is you get lost in the shuffle of incredible talent they have now. NOw if the o-line could get solid we'd have the best offense ever.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Anthony Gonzalez has to be the most overrated WR (by the media) ive ever seen.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, Portland totally should have drafted Michael Jordan.

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I definitely have not noticed that we are loaded with WR talent. Must have missed that memo. When did that happen?

We have one legitimate receiver in Chambers. Then we have 4 young guys none of which have really stepped up to the plate yet and established themselves. 12 games 58 catches for 780 yards between all four of them. 5 catches for 55 yards per game in reciever slots 2 through 5 is is hardly the battle cry for best receiver core in the league, especially when the #2 was the #1 most of the year.

New England in the 2-4 slots have 1764 yards between them so we have quite a ways to go before we can call our WR core anything else but inexperienced.

I agree lots of potential in our young guys. Situation is ripe for someone to step up and become a hero and I thought it was going to be Buster. Maybe his widsom teeth are still bothering him or he is slowed up by a severe papercut incurred during one of the team meetings.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The guy I was targeting in the recent draft was Busters teammate, Dwayne Bowe. That guy has mad skills and is big, strong and fast. Man, imagine him with Gates, Chambers, VJ and a Naanee? DAYUM. Now if Rivers can just get those WR's the ball......:icon_sad:

13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Funny how I got blasted, and I mean totally roasted for my mock draft pick of Tony Ugoh for the Rams with 20th pick of the second round (52nd overall) for the Rams. I think the nicest thing said about my pick was it was a bad pick period and they was nothing good that could be said about it. Yeah, that was by far the nicest thing. I won't even repeat some of the other **** I got for this pick.

Now, I feel somewhat vindicated. SI does a complete redraft showing where these guys would go if drafted now. Ugoh goes #11 overall. He's been doing a great job protecting Peyton Manning's blind side all season.

[​IMG]

I also remember being told that a tackle wasn't a need for the Rams since they have Orando Pace. The same Orlando Pace that only played in 8 games last season and only 1 game this season.

http://www.nfl.com/players/orlandopace/profile?id=PAC151180

Wow! I mean like really wow!!!! The Rams would love to have a young left tackle of the future right about now, wouldn't they? I know in reality, Tony Ugoh was gone before the 20th pick of the second round, but if the Rams could have got Ugoh with that pick, it might have been the steal of the draft.

14. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Thumper - Tony Ugoh was injured and missed the Bolt game yet the Chargers struggled beating his replacement the reason , Manning his release and reads are so quick.

Ugoh has very fast feet and great size and the Colt staff much like the Charger coaching staff last year with McNeil have improved his technique.

Keep in mind he was the LOT for the Razorbacks who seldom passed and when they did he struggled. However it is true you can't coach 6-6 320.

I tend to agree that the Chargers may have been better off to take Weddle with their pick and then take the best WR on the board in round 2#. It is possible that Davis would have fallen or that Steve Smith or Jason Hill would have been on the selection.

The better choice as for as I am concerned would have been to trade our back up RB Mike Turner for the Titans 1st round pick and to have then selected my 2nd favorite wr in the draft Dwayne Bowe.

The Chargers then could have selected Weddle with their own 1st round pick and kept the rest of their draft choices and also not been forced to trade the 2008 2nd for Chambers.

The Chargers could have drafted Brandon Jackson RB in the 2nd for insurance or better yet nabbed Kolby Smith RB in the 4rd round with Michael Bush RB in the 3rd . Bush could have been placed in IR for 2007 while Smith served as the key reserve.

That would have freed up the 2nd round pick for S Aaron Rouse who will be a very good player in a couple of seasons. Rouse who played LB in college 6'4", 223, 4.58 is seeing more and more action with the Packers and may start before the season is over.

The Charger draft could have been.

19) from Tennessee Dwayne Bowe wr

30) Eric Weddle S

63) Aaron Rouse S

93) Michael Bush RB

96) Anthony Waters LB

129) Kolby Smith RB

172) Legedu Naanee WR

240) Brandon Siler LB

Now thats a draft!

I will never understand keeping Michael Turner over making the trade.

15. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

But he plays for the beloved Colts so he has to be the better pick. :lol:

I'm sure if Buster was playing in Indy right now his numbers would look better than they do righ now.

16. Chico Andy

Chico Andy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I don't know about that. I think Jerry Porter for Oakland has alwats been over rated.
    How about Mike Williams- #10 pick
    Williamson- Minnesota (I can't think of is first name-#7 pick!)

...to name a few.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    The Michael Turner thing was pretty damn stupid in my mind and I wish to heaven we had had a safety tandem of Michael Griffin and Eric Weddle in addition to Buster Davis in the slot.

18. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    I agree for that matter Reggie Nelson or Griffin if you wanted to take a pair of DB however clearly Smith thought WR ranked above safety as for as need with Davis being selected.

That being the case they could have taken Bowe with Tenn slot and the Weddle and Aaron Rouse in the second.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    So in hindsight Ugoh would have been a steal at the #52 overall pick?

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's simple. AJ Smith wanted more for him than anyone was willing to pay. He was used so effectively in '06 that I'd guess Smith (as did I) felt that he would be used in a similar manner this season, which in turn might help bring the lombardi to SD.

Unfortunately, this season hasn't gone according to the master plan.